Lack of Drip Edge @ Roof Edge Condition

My home has an addition which was done approximately ten -15 years ago. I have owned the home only 3 years. At the edge of the roof there is no drip edge. The contractor simply let the plywood sheathing overhang about an inch or so. The asphalt shingles then overhang the sheathing another 1/2" to 1". This condition is causing rain to sort of “wick” up the plywood and rot it! So far the roof is not leaking but I am sure it eventually will. I had the roof inspected by a home inspector prior to purchasing it and the condition went unnoticed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

as always… please post pics. obviously drip edge is better than no drip edge. hire a reputable roofer to see if he can install it to the existing roof, or you will need to strip the roof, and start from scratch.

It sounds to me like a house with NO eave @ all & to make one, somebody put plywood up there without support.

I agree that you can’t make it look right by simply cutting away the overhang (depending on how large it is) because your base line of shingles probably won’t have a nailed (or more likely stapled) starter course.

Photos are definitely a requirement here; both from the top as well as from the bottom looking up. Then, give us a photo from about 15+ feet away from the house so we can see what the overall look of the structure is like.

there are alot of houses roofed in the southeast that do not come with edge metal. the shingles are hung over the edge a couple inches.
so when ya get a new roof make shure you get edge metal.
makes for a better roof in my opion.

gweedo

To properly install a roof with no edge metal,drip edge,eave iron, etc (we all seem to call it something different…) the roof needs to be framed for this particular detail.
What I mean is that the edges of the roof decking are not exposed in any way.
There are different ways to do this.
the most common is to frame the facia in such a way so that the roof deck is flush with the facia.
This is usually done with cedar facia in my area but more synthetics are being used nowadays.
This is almost always an architectural detail on high end homes in my experience.
You save $200 on drip edge (that is what I call it) but you spend more to frame the home for it.
So it is not done to save money…
It is not something that I see very often.
If a house has aluminum facia on it, it needs a drip edge.
You are describing something different…

Almost sounds like the facia was not installed, need pics for this.

I really hope this isn’t the case.
If it is, it is a major f@#k up of the first order…

[quote]so when ya get a new roof make shure you get edge metal.
makes for a better roof in my opion. [/quote]

I agree

You will probably need to replace the roof on the addition, and repair any damage and have it framed correctly, at a minimum.
If the addition is 10 -15 yrs old the roof is older.
It is probably time to replace the whole roof and fix everything related to it.
Then you can sleep soundly.

pics would be very helpful.

I forgot to mention:

If the shingles DO overhang this bad process of plywood only (& no fascia) by up to 1" then that’s really REALLY bad. Supabad.

Your shingles are probably drooping like a dried up weed…

Hi,

Hire someone to put drip edge on. It is not a big deal to do.

It can be slipped in without disturbing the shingles.

Problem with only installing edge metal to your roof in it’s current condition is that you will still have aprox. 1" of unprimed/unprotected plywood on the underside of the overhanging decking. Water splashing in the gutter…snow and ice…will still cause water to wick into your roof edge. You’ll need to protect that underside also to cure your problem. There are several options IMO but the least cheesy is to have someone come and wrap your fascia board in aluminum coil and have it wrap all the way up onto the top of your roof deck.