Katy, TX Roofers

I am closing on my first house on Thursday, and it needs a new roof. The roof is about 2900 sqr. ft, single story with a 6/12 pitch roof. The decking seems to be good, so just need to re-shingle. I was going to do the tear-off myself over a weekend and then have someone else come in and lay the shingles. I am going with a 30 year GAF/Elk. How much do you think is right if I supplied the materials and just had someone else lay the shingles and install a vented ridge?

Edit: Also anybody looking for a job is welcome to PM me :slight_smile:

$50 per square or $1450 total would be fair.

Phil
roofing7.com/

[quote=“Aggie007”]I am closing on my first house on Thursday, and it needs a new roof. The roof is about 2900 sqr. ft, single story with a 6/12 pitch roof. The decking seems to be good, so just need to re-shingle. I was going to do the tear-off myself over a weekend and then have someone else come in and lay the shingles. I am going with a 30 year GAF/Elk. How much do you think is right if I supplied the materials and just had someone else lay the shingles and install a vented ridge?

Edit: Also anybody looking for a job is welcome to PM me :)[/quote]

Call Rose Roofing, Carlson Roofing, or Live Oak Construction, be careful of all the unlicensed and fly-by-night hail-chasers in the Houston area.

I’ve got all the materials ordered. I am planning on doing the tear off in a few weeks and have a few friends that want to help so I should be able to get it all torn off and maybe some of the shingling started in that weekend. I have gotten a few quotes and have been high, anywhere from $2200-3000. I didn’t call the ones listed above but I will. Thanks for the info.

I measured the roof at 2870 sqrt ft.

This is what I ordered:
30 yr weatherwood certainteed 96 bundles $1794
(gaf/elk out of stock)
20 yr weatherwood certainteed 16 bundles $245
(for starter strip)
galv eave w/bronze 17 strips $76
30# felt 17 rolls $274
plastic top ring nails 1 box $26
GAF cobra ridge vents (80 ft) 20 pieces $219

I still need the lead jacks and roofing nails but everything delivered it is going to be about $2926.

Edit: It is going to cost me about $600 total for a 20 ft roll off/dumpster to use for a week.

I’m sorry, I missed the part about you doing the tear-off and buying the materials. I don’t know that too many companies will want to bother with it, but some side-work type guys would probably love that job. That isn’t to say no company will take the job, because they will, but they’ll still have to make their profit while doing less work.

If you decide to do it yourself, I’d love to come by for a laugh if you aren’t too far down the road. I live out by 6 and West Park Toll Road, so you probably aren’t too far away.

Looks to me that you are not saving a dime. Looks like you are paying more. Shaking my head.

[quote]20 yr weatherwood certainteed 16 bundles $245
(for starter strip) [/quote]

Is this 5 1/3 sq of starters for a 32 sq roof?
Just get another 1 1/3 sq of 30 yr shingles and cut your starters out of that.
That way your starters will be the right size.

Get the matching cap to go with the shingle, the color of the 3-tab version is slightly different.

Did you add ~10% to the material list to account for waste?
If you didn’t you will be short…
Get at least 2 extra sticks of the drip edge also.

Have Cerb do it.

:smiley:

On the flet according to what i have figured he has 3 extra rolls. Starts go 120 feet and thay are not that much money. ALso have the sealing strip 2 inches from the edge. I still think he is going to pay more this way.

The quotes I had got for $2200-3000 was just for labor to shingle the roof if I supplied materials and did the tear off. The best price so far if I did the tear off and let someone else supply the materials to finish the roof after I felted it was $5446. I don’t see how I am loosing money. I’ll call the companies listed by cerb above and see how much they will charge for the whole deal and also see if they will let me do the tear off. But either way thanks for the advice and glad I can at least be a good laugh.

Cut those 3 tabs off 1" below the top the keyways. It gives you an 8" starter with the sealer strip at the bottom, about in line with the shingle’s sealer strip. Be sure to nail it as low as you can.

The good laugh part, was is you were planning to shingle the roof with some of your buddies. I love watching people who don’t work on roofs, get to know how hot a roof can get in Houston in the summertime. Heck, summer officially begins next weekend, and we’re already nearing 100 degrees today. So yes, I like to see what people will put themselves through to save a buck.

Hey Aggie,

Did you buy exactly 29 Squares?
Now, add another 10-15% for waste.
Less than $6000. for a 30+ square tear-off with you doing the labor? Bargain.

That’s a $9000. job minimum!

And that’s without any significant rotted wood replacement.

Wait until your elbows start to hurt every time you hit a nail with a ripper or pitch fork. Wait until a good 20 minutes into the beginning of the tear off when your back starts to hurt…then imagine that going on for the next 6 days because that’s how long it’s going to take you to tear off, dry in and clean-up the work area so that the Roofers could come in and do the job safely.

Tear the roof off over the weekend?

See that Ceberus?

Your laughter is contagious!

If I were you Aggie, the last thing you’d want is to be held up by your roof. Trust me, about 10% into the job, you’ll be wishing you hired a company to just come and blow it out in 2-3 days.

How much money will you save if you put your back out? If you slip on a shingle and slide off the roof? If you step on a nail and puncture your foot? If you destroy your landscaping by not using proper protection techniques? If you get hit with a freak storm and lose your tarp and felt and then need to have to replace your ceilings and wall?

I really wouldn’t like to see you lose more than you save. There’s a reason a professional gets paid what they do…their prepared for anything that comes up.
This guarentees you won’t lose money.

Good luck. I mean it.

Oh yeah, did I miss it?
Who’s going to load it?
Do you have insurance to cover them if they get hurt?

Also, I’m assuming you’re using 3 Tab shingles right?

Not Architectural shingles at 96 bundles.

[quote=“Cerberus”]

The good laugh part, was is you were planning to shingle the roof with some of your buddies. I love watching people who don’t work on roofs, get to know how hot a roof can get in Houston in the summertime. Heck, summer officially begins next weekend, and we’re already nearing 100 degrees today. So yes, I like to see what people will put themselves through to save a buck.[/quote]

Hey C,

Do you think he knows that a roof can get 30-40 degrees hotter than the surrounding air?

http://www.indoorairinc.com/sweating.jpg

[quote=“2ndGen”]Oh yeah, did I miss it?
Who’s going to load it?

Not Architectural shingles at 96 bundles.[/quote]

Where I’m from archs are the same amount of bundles per sq as 3-tabs(30 yrs),except for Pabcos 4 bundles sq.

[quote=“johnk”]

[quote=“2ndGen”]Oh yeah, did I miss it?
Who’s going to load it?

Not Architectural shingles at 96 bundles.[/quote]

Where I’m from archs are the same amount of bundles per sq as 3-tabs(30 yrs),except for Pabcos 4 bundles sq.[/quote]

Up here, Certs are 4 per/sq.

:slight_smile:

I think we will be just fine. I’ll check back after the weekend we do it and see if I eat my words or not. BTW, I figured 15% waste.

Yeah, I did the #'s and saw that. Good man.

Take pictures please!

:slight_smile:

Cerberus is in Houston, I’m in Austin. Cerb knows the labor rates in Texas just as much as I do, even though he’s not so much into residential…

For a “retail” total re-roofing, 1 story, walkable, no deck repair, no reglet work or anything out of the ordinary, a reasonable price range should be:

Top end, 33 squares, including 2 bundles of “TRUE” starter.

Price range: 4,500.00 to 5,000.00. & This would include around 40 ft. of ridge vent, Cobra III.

I’m sure this post will get a lot of “You’re crazy! How can you make money??” responses from the Northern roofers, however you have to remember two things:

–We’ve been down this road A LOT here on this forum
–Texas does not require licensure or workman’s comp for roofing.

Bottom line: You’ve spent way too much money on parts & will probably end up spending way too much money on labor.

A resonable cost for a “sub crew” to do the installation only portion of your roof is 25.00 per square, with trash haul for another 200.00 tops.

Looks to me like you just spent about $ 1,000.00 too much (maybe even more).

[size=200]***WHOOP!***[/size]

Hey cerberus, what did you mean by

There is no licensing of roofing contractors in the state of Texas.