Is this possible? any suggestions?

:?: Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo. I am not a roofer. I just bought a home and the roof is in great condition. One problem, it is made with gray composition shingles. I was wondering if there is any type of stain that can be used to dye the shingles a dark brown. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I know it would be best to just re-shingle, but this would be out of my budget. Suggestions? Thanks.

i have seen people paint shingles.

wouldn’t paint chip away after a year or so? specially with the sun hitting it right on and the temp supper high.

That’s why I was thinking of using a concrete color dye and hope the color would take.Has anyone ever done this or seen this?

i never said it was right. i just said i have seen it done.

ditto marshall

I’ll cosign that…

You need to repair your roof with liquid rubber. Liquid rubber is the best product for roof repairing. The advantages that this liquid rubber coating offers are countless. It is waterproof, has high compatibility with almost all types of surfaces, very flexible and elastic and can withstand a large temperature range from -62 degrees F to 300 degrees F without cracking.

Hi,

McDonalds paints their shingles. They hold up using red. Red fades fast.

www.HolencikRoofing.com

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

McDonalds paints their shingles. They hold up using red. Red fades fast.

www.HolencikRoofing.com[/quote]

hahaha…thats one of the places i was talking about. the other 2 were hotels.

I envision paint turning into a real mess after a few seasons. Sherwin might have a good stain.

I’d let it go and save a buck.

http://strippingiron.com

Can’t say that I would recommend painting shingles; however, if you are going to do it, I would recommend using an elastomeric coating and taking it down to the paint store and having them add tint to change color from white to whatever. Good luck!

There’s an idea that just may work. I know of roof in Akron Ohio that they did this in the color of blue. We did not do it we turned the job down. It was done a few years age. It is now blue but it still looks horrible because you can tell what was done but, at least someone got their blue roof.

I know theme parks, chain retail stores, etc who paint tiles, synthetic materials, and metals but I think that they work with the manufacturer of whatever material they buy to figure out what kind of paint will stick. “I will buy all my material from you if you make xyz situation work for me”. I am interested to know if it would work with asphalt, but never heard of it being sucessful.

You could use a pre-reacted water dispersed polyurea tintable to any Sherwin Williams color, and it would last a long while. Where are you located?

You can’t change the color of your shingles without putting on a new roof. Painting them is not an option.

I have seen Certainteed make special colors of Grand Manor if the order is large enough. Pat Roberson of CBN and the 700 Club has his own color of them on his Virginia Beach headquaters.

Without seeing a picture of the roof, it sounds like an algae problem to me.

[quote=“paluca1982”]:?: Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo. I am not a roofer. I just bought a home and the roof is in great condition. One problem, it is made with gray composition shingles. I was wondering if there is any type of stain that can be used to dye the shingles a dark brown. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I know it would be best to just re-shingle, but this would be out of my budget. Suggestions? Thanks.[/quote]

There WAS a company in Augusta that used to paint shingle roofs and call them lifetime roofs but for some reason they went out of business. But it’s your roof so paint it if you wish. I’ve seen Indians (Patels) paint vinyl siding so I don’t see why a Mexican can’t paint shingles.

[quote=“metalroof02@aol.com”]

[quote=“paluca1982”]:?: Hello everyone,

My name is Pablo. I am not a roofer. I just bought a home and the roof is in great condition. One problem, it is made with gray composition shingles. I was wondering if there is any type of stain that can be used to dye the shingles a dark brown. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I know it would be best to just re-shingle, but this would be out of my budget. Suggestions? Thanks.[/quote]

There WAS a company in Augusta that used to paint shingle roofs and call them lifetime roofs but for some reason they went out of business. But it’s your roof so paint it if you wish. I’ve seen Indians (Patels) paint vinyl siding so I don’t see why a Mexican can’t paint shingles.[/quote]

LOL at your signature!! (the spelling, and the irony of the quote)

[quote=“Agape”]

There WAS a company in Augusta that used to paint shingle roofs and call them lifetime roofs but for some reason they went out of business. But it’s your roof so paint it if you wish. I’ve seen Indians (Patels) paint vinyl siding so I don’t see why a Mexican can’t paint shingles.

LOL at your signature!! (the spelling, and the irony of the quote)[/quote]

My quote is not to be taken seriously. Nobody’s always right. But I changed it just for you buddy.