Is this a roof problem? When it snows, the door sticks

Can you please help me figure out if we have a problem with our new roof?

We had our roof replaced about a year ago. Ours is a split-entry house with a fairly low roof pitch. The top level of our house has the kitchen (among other rooms) where there’s a door that leads out onto our “upper level” deck. If you’re tall enough and standing on the deck, at this level you can reach up and touch the (also recently installed) gutters.

Anyway, ever since we had the roof done, if we get any snow at all – like the 4 inches we had on Monday – the door to the deck sticks so badly we can barely get it open. When there’s no snow, there’s no problem with the door regardless of temperature or humidity. But when there’s snow on the roof, the door doesn’t work.

My husband believes this isn’t a roof problem. But what else would explain its sudden problem with snowfall? Previous to this, we could get a foot of snow on the roof and the door was fine.

If this IS a roof problem, what could the problem be? How would we need the roofing contractor to remedy this?

Help! Thank you so much!

I have never heard of such a thing happening when a roof is installed. Other than shingles what else did they replace? Any wood, trusses, anything like that? Where are you at? Is the roof right above the door that sticks? Need more info.

question 1,did this do this before you had your roof re-done when it snowed. if so more than likely the headers ither isn,t the proper size or no header at above the doors.

Thanks for your responses. To answer your questions:

1. No, they did not replace any trusses. Just the occasional piece of plywood, when/if they found rot. I don’t know if they replaced any plywood in this area. And yes, they replaced the entire roof, including what’s directly over this door. The door is pretty much right at a corner of the building, in case that’s pertinent. The roof slants down toward the door, as opposed to the door being on one of the building “faces” where the roof is an inverted V overhead. In otherwords, the roof ridge is parallel to the wall the door is on. Hope I’m describing this so you can visualize it!

2. No, this never happened with the old roof. We got the new roof a little over a year ago and noticed the problem when we got the first measurable (non-melting) snowfall. The problem remains only as long as the snow does. When the snow is gone from the roof, the problem’s gone, too.

I hope this additional info helps solve my mystery!

Indm45…

If the ground has settled on any of your two levels, there is the possibility you are getting deflection somewhere that is affecting this location.

I would get out your survey from when the house was purchased & see if it lists the finished floor elevations as well as any other pre-existing concrete slabs (patios on back, porches on front). You could get a surveyor to give you a quick shot @ the current elevations to see if anything has deflected or settled.

You might also get 2 or 3 inspections from foundation repair companies… I’d say 2 or 3 because the 1st one might try to sell you a lift when you actually don’t need it. Plus, by the time of the 2nd inspection, you’ll start to understand the process & what it is that’s going on (much like having 2 or 3 roofing estimates).

Basically, you need to start from the bottom up before you blame the roof.

Oh, one possibility is when the roof was installed, too much weight was placed on one spot that might not have been well suited for it. This could have happened when shingles were delivered & stacked on the roof top.

If you could, please take a photo of the house from the street (or some other similarly backed off location) so we can get a full view of the building.

Unlike some split-entry homes, our house is built on an at-grade slab – no basement at all, and no part of the house sits below grade. The part of the house where this is happening is actually the back corner of an addition that was put on in 1990. As requested, here are pictures of the house. The problem is at the back, where the addition meets the deck. (That’s the old roof, by the way).

The previous owners installed a french drain around this portion of the house, and then we installed (a) a sewer line and (b) gravel around the slab (meaning, we trenched up next to the slab and dropped gravel in there) just in the past couple of years. We don’t notice any cracking in the slab in the lower level of the house – right now a good deal of the slab is exposed because we are getting ready to install flooring, so if it was cracking because of the ground settling, we’d see it.

If this issue was due to settling, wouldn’t we see it year round? Why would the door stick only when there’s snow on the roof? That’s what keeps baffling me.

Thanks for your interest and your help!

Hi,

Top of the door or bottom, which is sticking?

I am with your husband on this. It is not a roof problem.

I just had to let the cat in this door and was worried I would crack the door, I was yanking so hard to get it open (she went out a different door). It sticks at the top, mostly over above the doorknob (not back by the hinges).

So here’s another thought: If not the roof, do you think it could be the DECK? It has snow on it, too.

This is definitely associated with snow and only snow …

Hi,

Did you clean the snow away from the door area?

This is a load problem. The new shingles are probably heavier than the old shingles causing a little deflection over the door header. When you add snow weight, voila, a problem.

is there moisture present when this happens,could be a result of an ice+water backup,but you would see moisture,it looks like the door is under that valley,usually a very strong area that wouldn`t be prone to snowload issues,can you post pics when the roof has a snow load-close ups also would be better

I’m guessing inadequate header size and
out of square door.

Swelling due to humidity maybe.
It doesn’t seem like a roof issue.

[quote="-Axiom-"]Swelling due to humidity maybe.
It doesn’t seem like a roof issue.[/quote]

vs

“…Because we were inverted.”

From looking at the picture, it looks as though there is a maximum of 2 trusses over the door.
An insufficient header over the door could be to blame…
Not likely.
This is an existing home, the problem was noticed after a re roof.
If this is a roof related load issue it would have shown itself much earlier.
The home could have been improperly built, it could be settling unevenly.
It could be a lot of things…
Load related.

If a light snow load is causing the door to stick, there is a structural problem.
It is not the roofers fault.
I don’t know about the rest of the U.S. but Michigan code requires that a stick framed roof carry 60 lb sq/ft.
That is 3 tons per sq…
I really doubt this house has seen a load like that this year…

Checking back in because now I have more information and hope to post a picture later today.

About 2 weeks ago, my husband (at my request) shaved down the top of the door to the point where it would open and close again. There were 2-4 inches of snow on the roof at that point. We’ve since had about 2 feet of snow with no significant thaw, and that door is as stuck again as stuck can be.

I can’t see how this is NOT a load problem with the roof. If that’s what it is, is that something our roofer should be expected to correct? I will mention again that this never happened before we replaced the roof.

I’ll take a picture later, but I sure would like to know if I should be on the phone with the roofer insisting he come and see this for himself.

Thank you so much!

I have never heard of such a thing like i said before by JUST replacing the roof. NOw if wood and trusses were worked on i can see it. I dont think he will do anything.

water and ice would also swell the frame,is it the door to the rear of the main house,or the door going into the addition ?