Is this a legitimate way to do the cap or?

It looks to me like it’s a way to make the cap as weak as possible. It has two shingles thickness of dead airspace under a single layer of shingle. Could there possibly be a good reason to do this or could it be an unethical way to get some easy repair work down the road?

Also, there are two separate caps and the west end is two layers short compared to the east end. It was late in the day in December and was just starting to rain when they finished so I imagine that is why they short-shingled me due to time considerations. What do you think?

You can see a notch that’s been knocked out of the east end and there are several holes you can put your finger through.

No issue seen here. You’re good.

This would not pass my standards. The workmanship here smells like unqualified installers. When you are paying for something as expensive as a new roof you should have an expectation of quality work. Judging from the picture posted, this is not quality work. Ask the contractor to come out and look at the ridge cap himself. If he insist it is fine. Call the shingle manufacturer that the contractor is associated with and ask them for an inspection to verify proper installation. If the contractor is not certified by a roofing manufacturer, well, good luck. If the manufacturer inspector passes the work. Ask for a signed letter stating that all manufacture standards are met and all warranties are in full affect.

What exactly is your issue with the ridge caps? From those two pics I see nothing that deserves the roofer to be thrown under the bus. While I don’t think it looks to be some kind of spectacular roofing masterpiece, I do think it looks to be done to average industry standards and see no big red flags.

The side you start running your caps on always has at least one more layer (sometimes 2 depending on the type of cap) than the side you finish on. The reason is you need a “starter cap” under the first visible cap (so it has something for the tar to stick to). This was not “an unethical way to get some easy repair work down the road”.

Thanks a lot for the replies. My issue is that there are several holes you can put your finger through. Maybe people can’t see the dead airspace under the cap in the pictures. The area directly below the top layer at the peak is black in the pics and that is 3/8 inch of dead airspace. Why? If they had left off the spacer shingles that were put there to create the airspace I wouldn’t have holes in the cap. A hailstone can punch through a shingle that has 3/8 inch of air beneath it far easier than if it had solid support beneath it surely.

Sorry if I haven’t made my self clear. My whole issue is with the airspace. I’ve been looking at all the roofs in my neighborhood when I ride my bike and haven’t seen another roof done like this.

That’s a good idea to contact the shingle manufacturer which is Dow Corning (30 year premium).

I think I might of missed something here. Was this a tear off or just a re-sheet? Either way. I fail to see why it appears that someone went out of their way to leave a gap between the ridge cap and the roof ridge.

To answer a question about what I see wrong with this. Please see my original response. I clearly state that it does not meet my standards. Some contractors aim for the minimum standards. I always aim for perfection. While perfection may be unobtainable, the pursuit of such often achieves excellence.

I would never accept this poor workmanship on my house. Therefore I would never deliver this low quality work to my customers. I want my customers to look at the work we complete and know that it was completed to the highest quality standard. Why accept subpar standards when you can set the standards?

Asking a contractor to come out and inspect his crews work is not throwing him under the bus. It’s asking him to inspect his crews work to ensure that his quality standards are met. If a customer disagrees with the contractor after his inspection the next logical step is to get the manufacturer involved if possible.

When you are done wasting the roofers time and possibly owens cornings…
Please come back and tell us your findings…
I’ll hold my breath!

You should be worried about the craftsmanship
Of the actual field shingles.
Not the workmanship of installing the cap shingles
You dont like the design of their cap!!!
But it is not a problem.

Id tell you how it is their field shingles that actually truely suck,
But i dont want your brain to explode.

Owens Corning sells a type of cap shingle that is three layers thick at one end but only 3 layers thick on the sides (not the middle). That is what was used and that is why there is the air space. I will try to find a pic later. Its not my favorite design in the roofing world either but if installed properly there should be no issue. This was not an attempt to rip you off.

p.s. at least 90% of roofs I see don’t meet my standards of installation either but yet most (outside the total disaster installs) still function just fine. At the level that we are (people who roof all day but still go home and talk about roofs) we could all pick something out of any roof in the world that we don’t like.

I’m not for sure what this means but it was stripped down to the plywood and a complete new roof installed. I read and appreciated your original post.

Thank you very much Charles_Anderson and IslandRoofing for your helpful comments.