Is there another way?

We just had our roof replaced yesterday and there is a part of it that I don’t like and I asked the roofing company if they could fix it. They say they can’t. Our roof was 3 years old and was replaced due to hail damage. Where the roof meets the siding, there is this 2-3 inch piece of flashing that is nailed through the shingles and the holes are caulked. This doesn’t look at all like our roof did before in this area. I asked them if they could make it look better (it looks terrible in my opinion) and they said that is the only way it can be done when you do a tearoff because the other part of the flashing is underneath the siding. They said it is standard to shingle all the way up to the wall and to place this piece of the flashing over the top of the new shingles and nail it down so water doesn’t get under the shingles. While that sounds perfectly sound, it is not aesthetically pleasing. Is there another way? :o

If I understand what you are saying, then yes there is another way.

Please take a photo of the area and post it if you would.

As for the other ways:

1. They could have re-used the old step flashing if is was still in good condition. Not my favorite way to do things, but is can be done.

2. They could have used a metal J-flashing that runs beneath the shingles along the slope, but I even hate this more than re-using the old step flashing.

3. They could have cut the siding back and replaced the old step flashing with new step flashings, although they probably would have had to install a step counterflashing that covers the top of step flashing and slips up behind the siding.

Those are the main ways I’ve seen people attack that problem. Anyone else have a better way, or a better suggestion?

Hopefully this works:

%between%http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9554/roof1vm5.jpg

img98.imageshack.us/img98/9554/roof1vm5.jpg

ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS RUN ANOTHER COUSRE OF SHINGLES OVER THE TOP OF THAT FOR LOOKS. IT WILL STILL SHED WATER THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO.

Thank you for that piece of advice. :slight_smile: The contractor mentioned that as an option but he said it would look worse/bad or something to that effect so I didn’t think that was an option. I agree with you that it would definitely give it a finished look. Thanks!

i do it every day & havent had a complaint in the 6 years i’ve been in bussiness and im a neat freak!!

I’m a neat freak, too. In my opinion there’s no other way to be! Thanks again, you have helped me greatly.

That is an ugly piece of pre-bent fascia cladding that was trimmed of the hemmed lip and nailed down. Also, that is only vinyl siding, and very easy to dis-assemble in most cases.

Also very simple is braking a piece of roof-to-wall flashing to both waterproof and provide neat freakish aesthetic appeal :slight_smile: Nice straight lines, and a painted surface to match the roof or siding would be supreme…while tear off in progress, a couple/few hundred bucks. Now that it is done, 500-plus, depending on how much of it there is.

Hope this helps.

It helps but can you explain a little further? I’m not familiar with the roofing lingo. (I guess I could look up the terms, too). Would we be in the $500+category since the tearoff and replace has already taken place? We discussed the option of replacing the flashing at the joing b/n roof and side of house and he said that they would have to tear off and replace about 2 rows of shingles in order to remove the siding and replace the flashing and have it look a lot cleaner. Is that true? Are facia and flashing synonymous? :smiley:

sorry aaron, I have to disagree when you say that is “only vinyl siding.” here in boston, you have to take the age of the house into consideration. vinyl siding is easy to replace, but to make water tight counter flashings, vinyl siding doesnt cut it for waterproofing. I’m a roofer so I try to make vinyl watertight if I do the whole job… that being said, vinyl is usually NOT watertight and it has weep holes underneath for water to exit the surface. Start messing with that wall and you often find: vinyl siding installed over cedar shingles, installed over clapboard. A “decorative” piece of flat coil stock sounds right here. If its leaking, I’ ll dig a wall apart. But I think we both know the price of ripping apart a wall like this and if its not a problem leave it be, just decorate it. Thats my take. I know what youre saying Aaron, but I don’t take digging into walls lightly.

I like it and I do it a lot when “roofers” do not or cannot do it right. Tricky most times.

hmmm… from the tiny amount of experience I have with insulation, I would guess youre using the second “cedar” layer as your flashing in this situation, by cutting out cedar shingles with a utility blade much like you would grind out flashing on a chimney then replacing those?

There is always a solution, you just have to find it. The work in those pictures aint it. :slight_smile: