Is there a snow release agent for metal roofs?

I have a metal roof with a shallow 3/12 pitch. Snow and ice released well the first season when the metal still had the oil or coating it leaves the factory with, but now it no longer releases on its own.
Does anyone know of a product I can apply to allow snow and ice to release on its own?

[quote=“Jayd7”]I have a metal roof with a shallow 3/12 pitch. Snow and ice released well the first season when the metal still had the oil or coating it leaves the factory with, but now it no longer releases on its own.
Does anyone know of a product I can apply to allow snow and ice to release on its own?[/quote]

I imagine if you were to wax it with car wax that would do the trick.

We are usually asked for ways to stop the snow from sliding off the roof all at once.

I’m w/Axe, r u serious guy? Spray some damn Pam cooking spray on it or something.

Yup, dead serious. It’s only 3/12 pitch so even the first year when it cleared it was never exactly what you’d call an avalanche, just a slow steady process. And I’ve got snow brakes over the doors. It’s a mobile home, in snow belt off eastern end of Lake Ontario. Not uncommon to get 2 - 3 feet in one storm then another foot or more a day or two later. And that might happen several times between December & March.
I get concerned about all that weight on the roof, but I can’t climb around up there or roof-rake due to arthritis in knee and torn rotator cuff.
I thought about spraying with cooking oil or something but wasn’t sure if it would damage the sealing washers on the roof screws. Didn’t know if there might be a specific product recommended for this purpose. Thanks for the suggestions.

I would try cleaning the roof first, as this would remove a lot of the dirt and debris that is making it hard for the snow to slide. I’ve read about people using Dupont Snow and Ice Repellent or Fluid Film on snow blowers. It would be interesting to try it on a small part of the roof to see if it works.

I’ll try that. I’ve been reading some about Fluid Film, sounds like it might work. Thanks

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

I was being sarcastic about the cooking spray. Some guys do spray it on their Fisher snow plows though. Maybe remove the snow dogs or rails you have? Install some heat wires?

I lived in mobile homes for a good portion of my life and I never had much trouble with snow accumulating on the roof. The insulation is so thin it just melts right off.

We sell a release agent that would work in this application. Pam or Vegetable oil would just become gummy but we have a mining release agent (MRA) that we sell to prevent material from sticking to haul trucks in the winter that would work for snow. It seasons the metal almost like a cast iron pan and provides a non-stick surface.

Call me if you would like to discuss 1-855-815-4385

Seriously- 2 things here that would work, and pretty much only 2 things:
1- Heat (as in elevated temperature that promotes melting).
2- Kymax. It’s a coating, and next to nothing sticks to it. Basically Teflon for roofs.

you might want to check your warranty before applying anything to your roof. it’s not very practical to void a 40 year warranty. I have never heard of a trailer cave in from a snow load.

Keep in mind, IF you have a warranty on a metal roof, chances are it only covers the finish of the metal, and typically on a prorated schedule. There are some NDLs out there (not many) and if you have an NDL then contact the Mfgr first.

For anyone who sees this comment about Selling this release agent used to prevent material from sticking to haul trucks and using it for snow on roofs, please do not call this number anymore, we no longer sell this agent and unfortunatey do not know where to find it. However if you are ever looking for Concrete cloth rolls or Portable heavy duty flooring don’t hesitate to give us a call at the mentioned number. Thank you.