Is ridgevent neccesary on a stand alone garage?

Would you professional roofers recommend putting ridgevent on a stand alone garage without heat or air?

How about Weatherguard?

Thanks again!

I think we are going to have to start charging you Bob, heh.

“Would you professional roofers recommend putting ridgevent on a stand alone garage without heat or air?”

No. I mean you could but why bother? Unless of course you have some kind of storage space. I vented my dad’s garage when we did his house but he has storage up top. Didn’t bother opening the soffit though.

“How about Weatherguard?”

You mean Weatherwatch or Stormguard Ice and water barrier? Yes. If you live anywhere there is a chance of snow in the winter it helps protect your roof from ice damming.

Monkey

I’ll buy you a few beers the next time I am in Westchester NY for all the advice!

The cottage is on a lake without a basement - so the stand alone garage which is across the street, does have a walk up attic for storage! This area is used quite a bit for all of our storage purposes!

I do not believe the garage has soffit vents - So…if I understand right - use weatherguard even though there is not a heat barring wall AND use ridgemaster on the top!

Thanks again!

“I’ll buy you a few beers the next time I am in Westchester NY for all the advice!”

I’m all about expensive Vodka Bob :smiley:

**"The cottage is on a lake without a basement - so the stand alone garage which is across the street, does have a walk up attic for storage! This area is used quite a bit for all of our storage purposes!

I do not believe the garage has soffit vents - So…if I understand right - use weatherguard even though there is not a heat barring wall AND use ridgemaster on the top!"**

Well sounds like you want to do it picture perfect soooo…

Ice and water barrier along the eaves and some kind of soffit and ridge vent. See, you can put just ridge vent on the top without doing anything else like I did but there is a danger of out flowing air sucking in snow or moisture. My dad’s garage roof was 10/12 pitch so there wasn’t going to be a lot of snow on it but we established you’re doing yours the right way…
Ever-flo vent is a lovely alternative to soffit vent. The only problem with it is that it looks like crap unless there is a gutter covering it.

So to recap: Weatherwatch at eaves, soffit and ridge vent.

Here’s a link for Ever-Flo if you’re interested.

everflovent.com/pro_inhaler.html

Monkey,

I as playing poker in Vegas with a professional alcoholic, he knew everything and anything about vodka - said KETTLE ONE vodka is hands down the best vodka made.

Take a couple days vacation - head a few states over to help me out and I’ll have a fifth of Kettle One waiting :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!