IR thermography in roofing

I’m researching the uses of IR in roofing and the construction industry for a university research paper (U. St. Gallen, Switzerland), and would appreciate information as to the most popular vendors of thermography cameras.

Who are the market leaders; Flir, Fluke, Mikron, Electrophysics, NEC, others, etc?

Appreciate any info,

Tomas Matta

Um… you need an option for “none”.

I have never even SEEN an InfraRed Thermographic camera designed for roofing.

What would one of those cost (& no, I’m not going to look it up myself).

They rent for $600-$700 a week.

That’s the way to go. Use it for all the jobs for a week of brisk cold mornings when the air is still, right before sunrise.

If you buy it, you also have to get it calibrated/maintained/repaired. The older ones are a nightmare, but I understand the newer ones have come down to the $20,000 to $50,000 price range.

I’ve worked with these, and a slight wind will throw your images off. Sometimes you have to stand there and shiver in the cold until everything is right.

Older ones also need liquid nitrogen for the II (or IA). You can pick liquid nitrogen up at the same place you get your welding supplies.

One application for roofing is to find leaks in flat roofs, because water retains heat longer than the rest of the roofing material. They are also used to check the insulation.

I understand that some vendors (Flir, Fluke, IRCameras…) now sell simpler models for around USD5000 - USD6000.

new hatchet…15.00

1 gallon patch cement…15.oo

finding if your test core contains moisture…priceless

A regular cam-corder will show SEVERE heat loss (like from the bottom of a nearly red-hot coal stove) if it’s covered with an IR black lense, like the ones on some TV remote controls. The image is b/w, but the hot-spots light up.

It’s the same thing perverts use to videotape through bikinis at beaches (ladies appear nude).

Don’t cross the streams!!!

Huh? a thermohamaphysicaldamapangrant?
What the hell is that. What is that used for?
Is it neccasary or just another gimmick>

Billygoat, considering you “only do new construction” it’s a tool we would probably use on houses you’ve worked.

It’s used to detect hot or cold spots on houses via the roof deck or shingles (not that I have even seen one, but the terms “thermo” meaning heat & “graphic” meaning graphic sorta points me in that direction. ;)).

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Billygoat, considering you “only do new construction” it’s a tool we would probably use on houses you’ve worked.

It’s used to detect hot or cold spots on houses via the roof deck or shingles (not that I have even seen one, but the terms “thermo” meaning heat & “graphic” meaning graphic sorta points me in that direction. ;)).[/quote]

why would you use on my roof if you never seen one. Is it invisible or something?
Its probally expensive.
Why would i want to find those areas anyway?
Iven never seen anyone using them and im not starting.

:roll: