Insurance saying INSTALL when it should be REPLACE

Allstate claim has a line item to INSTALL when it should be REPLACE. This is for 3 pipe flashings. They did include the REMOVE item! They are obviously trying to pay out less as INSTALL is about $8 cheaper per flashing to INSTALL than to REPLACE. Is there a good come back so they honor the REPLACE activity like they should?

If the entire roof is being replaced, the justification is that the pipe flashing, vent, or valley is interlaced with the shingles and felt paper, so when those are removed (like with forks or other tear off tools) there is no added labor. Xactimate price is $28.29 plus tax.

If the insurance was paying just for the pipe flashing to be replaced, then there would be additional labor for the slower more tedious work. Xactimate price is $34.32. But, . . . if they are only paying for the pipe flashing make sure you charge them for every shingle that touches the flashing, usually 6 to 8. Your justification for this is that those shingles only had four penetrations (one for each nail), now that each of these shingles would require an additional penetrations for the new nails, which is potentially a leak point, so they must pay to replace them. Xactimate price would then increase with 7 shingles to $142.43 for each flashing or vent. That can add up to some really good repair money.

Hope this helps.

God I am glad I don’t have to deal with insurace company’s on a regular basis.

They probably just made a mistake. Send in a supplement.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s a mistake. It happened once before. I will try to get them to “correct” the situation but I do believe it was intentional.

Regardless, I appreciate you guys weighing in on this!