Insurance not paying for ridge?

Dad, Not necessarily “awful”, but indeed less than in most if not all cases. I whole heartedly agree with that last sentence.

[quote=“Gary”]Maybe this will help (or not), but it is pertinent to the current discussion.

Insurers will not bring roofs or other damaged structures up to code, just because the code requires those upgrades.

When the insurer will bring an item up to code is if the building department writes a letter requiring that the item be brought up to code. Of course, the insurers will fight any additional expense, and opening that floodgate would be very costly.

As I recall, that is essentially spelled out in the policy itself. Also, whether the insurer will even deal with it is at least hinted at in the insurance policy itself.

To simply quote building codes of an area is insufficient to move an insurer to action, in my experience anyway. I have found building inspectors reasonably helpful, if the issue is really bad. A small issue is not probably going to get their attention.

For example, I had a roof with 1/4" decking. the code was 5/8". The building department helped with that. I stopped trying to get help on the 3/8" roofs, because they were everywhere in my main area. They wouldn’t get involved at the building departments, and the insurers would not consider helping without the building departments pushing them.

I do not think it is an issue of what the code was at the time. Who in the world would know that information?[/quote]

Authentic dad, do you mind sharing your spreadsheet? I am having similar issues where my insurance wont pay for the ridge cap and insist that it come out of the waste. They have included a 15% waste (hip roof).

Tks

Peter

[quote=“roofing69”]Authentic dad, do you mind sharing your spreadsheet? I am having similar issues where my insurance wont pay for the ridge cap and insist that it come out of the waste. They have included a 15% waste (hip roof).

Tks

Peter[/quote]

Yes, check your PM’s.

Thanks Authentic Dad but I’m still new to the forum and do not have priveleges to get mails in my personal inbox on this system.

Any chance you could PM the spreadsheet to my yahoo email account.
yahoo id: m5wannabe69

Thanks, sincerely appreciate it

Peter

[quote=“dstew66”]Back on topic, Xactimate also has a line item for starter strip and they won’t pay for that either. Country Insurance, which IMO runs slightly ahead of Allstate for the worst ones, won’t even include the base service charges. To them everything seems to be included in the line item pricing. That won’t stop until enough homeowners file complaints with their DOI. This is where homeowners have to be educated. They don’t know they are being cheated unless it is explained to them.

Allstate used to be #1 on my list until recently. I had an independent adjuster who said he doesn’t like buying half a roof. I was somewhat shocked to say the least. Now they are #1.1.[/quote]

Liberty Mutual and Safeco are like that here. Factor in base service charges and it will increase every line item applicable to the base surchages xactimate kicks out. Get a signed contract with a $ amount . They will try but cant argue if the policy is a standard ho3 RCV. (This pertains to Texas) Your xactimate will show now BSC’s.

Authentic_Dad can I get that spread sheet for your ridge cap and waste factor?

Sure, where do I send it?

Nice to see you back.You have not posted for a couple days.,.,., hoping you was not at the fair.

LOL Thanks for the well wishes. And condolences to the friends and families of those who suffered from that accident. I wish I had time to go to the fair.

I wouldnt mind that spreadsheet as well, if you dont mind

ain’t that the true.

I NEED THAT DOCUMENT…only 7 years late :frowning:

Same. If anyone has this letter I would greatly appreciate it

I thought I’d give an update on this subtopic. That may have been the case in 2011, in some areas, but I have not found it to be true in north Texas over the last several years.

Every time I have done a repair on a roof or other damaged structure, if there is an Ordinance & Law provision in the homeowner’s policy, AND if the city/county/etc. has official building codes or has adopted outside codes, AND if there is some change required to the structure due to those building code requirements, THEN it gets covered. The adjusters almost always require us to do the legwork and provide them with documentation, so I provide the governing jurisdiction’s relevant web page (or equivalent) as well as the relevant section of the appropriate building code. Once the documentation is provided, coverage is never a problem.

@neville

I’ve sent insurance city code docs, excerpts, even the city code enforcers contact info, and I’ve received the response that they need something in writing from the code enforcer say that they in fact, enforce those codes. Also, some policies don’t allow for code upgrades or they don’t cover soft metals.

Not good news by any means but I haven’t figured out a way around it.

I don’t know what to tell you Emily. I’ve only had difficulties with State Farm, and that was 3 years ago, 2 times within 2 months, telling me there was a directive in place at the time from middle claims management. I went to see the permits/inspections office and they gave me a letter saying that they require homeowners and contractors to abide by all of their adopted codes. That was the last and only real issue I ever had. Valley underlayment, pipe boots, crickets, etc. never present any problem. I always assume adjusters are reasonable and honest, even if they have silly rules or guidelines to which they have to adhere (e.g. "send me a copy of the relevant code section, and the city’s code specs. Once I had to request it on city letterhead, but only once. Now, if an adjuster is violating policy provisions, or stonewalling to the detriment of the job, the supervisor needs to know.

As for policies not reimbursing code upgrades, damage to soft metals (e.g. aluminum gutters? copper roofs or exposed valleys?), if a policy excludes those things then I would just make sure the homeowners know so that they can buy riders or change companies.

-neville