Insurance not paying for ridge?

I have been doing estimates for 5 years now and this year have run into insurance companies not paying for ridge shingles. I have never seen it till this year.
Has anyone else run across this?

Are u talking 3 tab capping or the ridge designed for the shingle? Like shadow ridge? If so they will not pay for upgrades. Never will either your lucky to get the insurance company to pay for anything.

just a 3tab cap. They are now saying that we can use the shingles from the waste and put them as ridge.

I have never come across this until this year.

You’ve apparently either been extremely lucky or not done a ton of insurance work. Or perhaps it is specific to your area. For quite some time, insurance adjusters have been bundling the hip & ridge cap into the waste factor. Which is generally a bunch of crap. This means you have to fight for a higher waste factor on most roofs of any complexity. We’ve had quite a bit of success using an Excel spread sheet I put together that automatically calculates the waste amount for hip & ridge cap, starter and the shingles wasted on the valley under layer once you enter the numbers for roof area, hip and ridge length, perimeter and valley length. We simply show them the hard math and argue from there.

They’ve also, for the most part, quit applying waste factor to the on number for the steep and high charges. Some are not wanting to pay for vents and pipe jacks.

Thanks for the response. I guess I have been lucky. Been dealing with insurance companies for about 5 years and have never run across this before.

I am thinking of asking them to put in writing that they do not pay for installing ridge shingles and that we cannot install until we are paid.
Probably wont get me very far but i would like to see what the response is.

Dad know the insurance part very well its his bread and butter. Me i dont have to use in a waste factor thats already built into the estimate. Ask them how they came up with the X number of squares and make sure you know how to measure tight just in case. Talk to the adjuster that can be your key. Heck i took one out on the town on my big storm in 07 and well things got taken care of.

Seems lately there’s been a high number of newbies joining this and other forums and whose topics are primarily insurance claim work related. When you look at their profile, no location, no company name, no other real profile info…interesting

I’ve always charged for any ridge cap as a sep line item. Many times been paid for 3 tab ridge as well as hi def after making the proper point that waste is waste and ridge is ridge. You’ never get it if you don’t ask for it. All contractors doing ins work should be including it as a sep line item. When it happens enough times, some of them will start to get the picture and start including it on their scopes. Who says don’t pay for ridge? ISO, Inc. (Xactimate parent company).

What does my location or company have to do with insurance not paying for ridge. I was simply asking if anyone else had come across this recently.

The only “newbie” thing I have seen is your website. Need to get that updated. With all that money you make off insurance companies, you should reinvest in your website.

LMB says: When you look at their profile, no location, no company name, no other real profile info…interesting

It could be that some of us work for contractors and prefer that our posts do not represent them.
I respect your writing and all the hard work that you’ve done to come up with a different way other than Xactimate. I for one am sold on your approach to insurance companies and their bull crap. I fully intend to get with your program and Maxtimate.
I will hold my nose shut and pay your fee.
I would also like to say you should keep your political beliefs to yourself, especially if you’re trying to sell something like your program. Not all of us believe in corporate America and cutting taxes for the rich particularly when we are working so hard trying to make a good living for our families. Hopefully you will keep putting out great information for all who come in here and keep your political beliefs to yourself.
It is because of people like you that I call myself a UnionHippie.

I used to add ridge into every Xactimate roof estimate regardless if it’s 3 tabs or lams. After only getting it on 3 tabs one out of every ten claims stopped adding it in. Have had a few adjusters try to not pay for ridge on lams but have been able to talk them into it except one last Fall.

Adjuster was at $13K I was at $21K, they paid $20K and left out the ridge, good enough for me. My brother and I both made out ok on the job…

I am going to keep adding it and see what happens. Its seems like it is something new every 6 months that they are not paying for.

Here’s a new one.

Last week had an adjuster to a reinspect on a large roof. After a little smooth talking got him to pay for the whole roof. After he sent me the Xactimate estimate said he hit the wrong line item as he payed for detach and reset metal turtle vents. His reason was since there was no damage they didn’t have to be replaced as it’s not a maintance program. He also said for this year it’s now standard protocal. Had an adjuster tell me this was coming early last year.

Who actualy re-installs turtle vents?

[quote=“dougger222”]Here’s a new one.

Last week had an adjuster to a reinspect on a large roof. After a little smooth talking got him to pay for the whole roof. After he sent me the Xactimate estimate said he hit the wrong line item as he payed for detach and reset metal turtle vents. His reason was since there was no damage they didn’t have to be replaced as it’s not a maintance program. He also said for this year it’s now standard protocal. Had an adjuster tell me this was coming early last year.

Who actualy re-installs turtle vents?[/quote]

The same people who reuse drip edge, pipe boots, and don’t remove the old underlayment.

last year we had an Allstate adjuster tell us that the missing shingles on a Certainteed classic horizon Shangle could be replaced by removing the starter row that had the shingles turned upside down. Just take those shingles and replace the ones that are missing and replace the starter row with new starter. I can just imagine the adjusters for Allstate setting at a bar drawing that out on a napkin. they are so cute.

The real problem is you met with an allstate adjuster in the first place. The last one I met with said the home was not hit with hail damage and they can sue if they want to pursue the hail damage claim. When questioned at the door what the furnace flue cap looked like he looked very puzzled.

After 20 plus years with garbage they switched… I HATE allstate, they are worthless. If they offered to insure the homes, businesses, vehicles, and toys for free I would pass, honestly.

Had another adjuster once tell the home owner that all the damage to the furnace cap was not by hail at all but mechanic damage.

But the best ever story is this. Third inspection for hail not far from my dads house which got hit several times over the years with 1-3in hail. Got to the site late and the adjuster was already up drawing on the roof, not a good sign in most cases. On the way up the long drive could have sworn I spotted a few circles. He came down the ladder shook my hand wrote down my name, normal stuff. When asked if he found hail damage his answer was this, “I didn’t find any hail damage, but I’m going to pay for a new roof”. Very puzzled with an answer I said although the shingles are deffective I found 20 good hail hits on the ridge cap so there’s no doubt hails hit this roof.

[quote=“Union Hippie”]I will hold my nose shut and pay your fee.
I would also like to say you should keep your political beliefs to yourself, especially if you’re trying to sell something like your program. Not all of us believe in corporate America and cutting taxes for the rich particularly when we are working so hard trying to make a good living for our families. Hopefully you will keep putting out great information for all who come in here and keep your political beliefs to yourself.
It is because of people like you that I call myself a UnionHippie.[/quote]

So tell me, where do you go to cash your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who pays your employer for the job you do so you can get a paycheck? Homeowners employed by Corporate America.

Where do your trucks come from? Corporate America.

Who do buy your food from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your clothes from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your tools from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your material from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your gas from? Corporate America.

Who provides your electricity? Corporate America.

How many credit cards do you carry around in your wallet issued by Corporate America?

The private sector Corporate America is what provides your means to make a living for your family. Take away Corporate America and all you will have left is North Korea.

Here you go. Liberal, environmentalists Utopia! No corporations allowed.

http://www.atr.org/userfiles/korea-by-night.jpg

Here’s some more information for you, Einstein.

The United States of America is none other than - - - A corporation.

The State you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

The city you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

The county you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

Now that we understand that, here are a few more questions for you.

Who takes 25-30% of your earned income before you ever see your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who taxes your employer before you ever see your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who taxes the trucks you drive (sales tax, licensing fees, etc.)? Corporate America.

Who taxes the food you eat? Corporate America.

Who taxes the clothes you wear? Corporate America.

Who taxes the tools you buy? Corporate America.

Who taxes the materials you use in your trade? Corporate America.

Who taxes the gas you buy? Corporate America.

Who taxes the electricity and other utilities you use? Corporate America.

Who regulates the use of the credit cards in your wallet? Corporate America.

You know something. Now that it has been put that way I think I agree with you. I don’t believe in corporate America either.

Quite frankly, if I was the one offering a product for sale and you said that to me I would tell you to stick your money where the sun doesn’t shine. You see, that’s another thing about corporate America. We have the freedom to choose not to do business with jerks.

WOW!! I never knew a question about ridge shingles would spark such a discussion. Maybe my next post will be about valley metal and we can talk about religion. I can’t wait!!

Your right Sam. Sorry about hijacking your thread. I am just fed up with liberals destroying my means to make a living. If we don’t speak up we won’t have to worry about having a conversation about insurance not paying for ridge.

Back on topic, Xactimate also has a line item for starter strip and they won’t pay for that either. Country Insurance, which IMO runs slightly ahead of Allstate for the worst ones, won’t even include the base service charges. To them everything seems to be included in the line item pricing. That won’t stop until enough homeowners file complaints with their DOI. This is where homeowners have to be educated. They don’t know they are being cheated unless it is explained to them.

Allstate used to be #1 on my list until recently. I had an independent adjuster who said he doesn’t like buying half a roof. I was somewhat shocked to say the least. Now they are #1.1.

[quote=“dstew66”]

[quote=“Union Hippie”]I will hold my nose shut and pay your fee.
It is because of people like you that I call myself a UnionHippie.[/quote]

So tell me, where do you go to cash your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who pays your employer for the job you do so you can get a paycheck? Homeowners employed by Corporate America.

Where do your trucks come from? Corporate America.

Who do buy your food from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your clothes from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your tools from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your material from? Corporate America.

Who do you buy your gas from? Corporate America.

Who provides your electricity? Corporate America.

How many credit cards do you carry around in your wallet issued by Corporate America?

The private sector Corporate America is what provides your means to make a living for your family. Take away Corporate America and all you will have left is North Korea.

Here you go. Liberal, environmentalists Utopia! No corporations allowed.

http://www.atr.org/userfiles/korea-by-night.jpg

Here’s some more information for you, Einstein.

The United States of America is none other than - - - A corporation.

The State you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

The city you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

The county you live in is none other than - - - A corporation.

Now that we understand that, here are a few more questions for you.

Who takes 25-30% of your earned income before you ever see your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who taxes your employer before you ever see your paycheck? Corporate America.

Who taxes the trucks you drive (sales tax, licensing fees, etc.)? Corporate America.

Who taxes the food you eat? Corporate America.

Who taxes the clothes you wear? Corporate America.

Who taxes the tools you buy? Corporate America.

Who taxes the materials you use in your trade? Corporate America.

Who taxes the gas you buy? Corporate America.

Who taxes the electricity and other utilities you use? Corporate America.

Who regulates the use of the credit cards in your wallet? Corporate America.

You know something. Now that it has been put that way I think I agree with you. I don’t believe in corporate America either.

Quite frankly, if I was the one offering a product for sale and you said that to me I would tell you to stick your money where the sun doesn’t shine. You see, that’s another thing about corporate America. We have the freedom to choose not to do business with jerks.[/quote]

One question…How can you be so stupid and be in business LMAO (It will fail) Teabaggers make me puke.