Insurance money required

The question is …Do you get an estimate before you call ins. co. or do you let the adjuster dictate what work is to be done?
I went on an estimate for a skylite. When I got there I saw that the shingles are about shot, the plywood is soft, and he has water stains all over the house, mostly in cathedral area ,and massive drywall damage around skylite… I would like to know if I should give him an estimate to cover all needed repairs, or just let him deal w/ins, co. , and what ever they tell him… He hasn’t the funds to cover most of the work now… That is why I suggested that he call the ins. co…Help!
Thanx in advance…

Hi,

So what you are saying is the customer does not have the money to take care of his property, so the insurance company should?

I didn’t mean to sound that way… I just did not know how this will pan out. If they cover any damage from roof , skylite leaking. My friend said they will laugh at him, cause he let the condition get as bad as it is without doing anything about it. This is the problem in my area. So many people have needs that they can’t meet…

The insurance company will and is obligated should the home owner file a claim to repair EVERYTHING execpt the actual cause of the problem.

It’s just like the water pipe that breaks, they fix everything except the pipe.

Thanx ridge walker … That is exactly what my buddy said…The major damage is from a broken skylite.

Must be a Wasco from Maine?

The insurance company will not pay for any wear and tear, wet rot, dry rot, maintenance etc. Using the “plumbing line” analogy to the roof is not correct.

It appears you are making the decision for the insurance company by your position. I have learned from 20 years of dealing with insurance claims to never presume that an adjuster will, or won’t pay for something. While you are correct about maintance issues not being covered per the policy, I’ve seen many cases when it was paid for anyway. This is why I never presume to make the dicide for the insurance company, which is the pittfall many home owner and contractors fall into.

I run into this scenario alot…a homeowner has a few bids from myself and other roofers, its an insurance claim…they want me to raise my bid so they can get the insurance company to pay for it…then on TOP of that they say some other roofer tells them they will pay HALF of the deductable…i turn these down am i missing something here? seems like fraud to me…any advice is most welcome!

[quote=“RidgeWalker”]

It appears you are making the decision for the insurance company by your position. I have learned from 20 years of dealing with insurance claims to never presume that an adjuster will, or won’t pay for something. While you are correct about maintance issues not being covered per the policy, I’ve seen many cases when it was paid for anyway. This is why I never presume to make the dicide for the insurance company, which is the pittfall many home owner and contractors fall into.[/quote]

BINGO!!!

You hit the nail right on the head.

You Never know for sure what they will approve or deny. So, if you feel that it is a legitimate claim to pursue, do so and back it up.

Ed

I agree separately with a bunch of you for different reasons.

In this situation, I might suggest to the customer that their insurance co. may possibly pay for repairs, however the insurance co. is also going to know under what basis the claim is being filed (hail, tree limb falling, high winds pulling off shingles, etc).

On the other hand, I would also caution them that there is every liklihood that the insurer will state this is “normal homeowner maintenance” & not their responsibility to fix.

Bottom line, you might suggest that the insurer will pay for repairs & you can provide a good faith estimate, however your price is NOT dependant upon whether or not the insuer will actually pay for the work.

As to paying 1/2 the deductible, etc. - all you can do is let the customer know that in a time when the cost of parts & your basic fuel expenses, how someone can do the required work AND give away a fully legal & required deductible is something you don’t understand & won’t do.