Insurance Form Question for Self Employed Roofers

Hello, My husband is a self employed roofer. He works for a gentleman that is incorporated but does some jobs on the side as well. Where we live there has been some hail damage and lots of roofs have needed repaired but all through the insurance company. How can he or what should he use when submitting all the information to the insurance company for the job he did? Is there a standard type of form? Should he include all the prices for everything? Is there something in particuliar that the insurance company is looking for? Can anyone please shed some light as he has never done insurance jobs on his own, just through is boss but that man takes care of it all. Thank you so much!

Is this the Akron storm?

Yes this has to do with the storm in Summit county.

My best suggestion on both of your topics is to well go and get the city and state codes. I dont understand is that you live there and you dont know the codes or how to go about the basics. Something smells of a chaser to me. I was contacted to go down there and sell and i thought about it for a bit and decided it would not be worth it to me. Hell in michigan i do ok. Ohio i would be like a hit man but affording 2 places to live is not worth the trouble. Then i have to get my plates on my truck changed not worth it at all. If your chasing find out the laws. But really to me its a moral issue not covering your warranty that bothers me the most.

My company is from Akron and we are currently getting alot of work from the storm. Are an individual looking for side jobs or are you a legite company. By legite i mean fed tax id #, registered w/ sos, workers comp, liability insurance, references, bbb. If you are not a company the insurance companies will not wantto play ball with you so to speak. there are some forms that you need that will be helpful or essential. For example do know what “P & O” is? if not it will cost you alot of money.You need affidavit’s for the mortgage companies. Also the insurance company doesn’t want just your standard everyday proposal or contract. If you are a legite company i could help you out. if not you can’t do insurance work as just and individual looking for side jobs. You would lose out on so much money it wouldn’t be worth it. I gave an insurance co a proposal that included the roof at 325.00 per square and vinyl at 615.00 per square. he called me back and offered $152.00 per sq roof and 210.0 for vinyl siding. I gave him all my company infoand then he gave me what my qoute was plus when it’s finished my P & O which 20% of the total contract

Hi,

Insurance companys have no problem writing checks to anyone with a social sequrity number.

Hi,

They do not hold themselves to the same insurance requirements they hold us to.

What I would do is get licensed in the state, buy Xactimate and go door to door.

Here in MN 85% of insurance jobs use Xactimate so when I submit an estimate with that software and when the insurance company uses it I get what I want most of the time. About 20% of the time when the adjuster uses X-actimate they go with my full estimate no questions asked.

Some things I have a hard time getting insurance companies to pay for is ridge and drip edge. Some say the ridge is included in the waste percentage and others say the drip edge is ok to re-use.

The good insurance companies (who pay good anyways) are American Family (they pay close to full Xactimate most often, of the large companies anyways), State Farm (they always pay more than what the adjuster has but usually won’t pay for one or two line items, ridge or drip edge usually.

Farmers can be a pain to work with but once approved they pay good. Got a 52sq 8/12 approved a few weeks ago and the adjuster paid exactly what I wanted, $19,500 for the roof only.

Most large independant ajusting companies use Xactimate and I’ve had very good luck with independants, most are approved first time around no questions asked. In these cases the claims take longer to get paid on because the adjuster has to submit the info to the actual insurance company and they have to authorize payment. Some CATO teams write checks on the spot, this is nice for a quick in and out.

So far this year I’ve made an extra $10K+ with the software but last year using the prices on three jobs got an extra $8K out of the insurance company.

IMO, the worse insurance company (large) on the planet is Allstate. On average they pay 30% less than State Farm or American Family and they need to see 16 hits in one square, AAA insurance on the other hand only needs to see four, and they pay good.

Chub is one of the best insurance companies but their premiums are also the highest. Only way to get them is to have a house insured for over a million and the auto’s have to be expensive for them to insure them. You could say there the rich mans insurance company. When it’s time for a claim Chubs customers are very well taken care of. Worked on a fire job for a friend last Summer who had Chub insurance and he got about $50K more than what other insurance companies would pay. When it was time to ask for more money due to more things damaged they said, “What and how much”, Not, “We need proof and then we’ll pay”.

BTW, I’m still learning this insurance stuff but by next Summer should be pretty well versed. My cousin in law has been doing it for six years now, he’s really, really good. He’s taught me most of what I know but I still learn something new every week.

I have to re-think my whole insurance company approach dougger. But still, I am higher than others who working the Insurance System

$19,500 for a 52 sq 8/12??? Here they’d look at me funny and run if I submitted a $14,000 price.

I’ve noticed when a homeowner gets the insurance check for damages they always want to keep some of the money.

I STILL CAN’T BELIEVE THE RATES UP NORTH. HERE IN THE SOUTH INS CO’S PAY MAX $200 A SQ AND A ROOFERS LUCKY TO GET $180 A SQUARE. YOU BOYS ARE GETTING $300 A SQUARE?SO ON A 50 SQUARE HOUSE YOU’RE NETTING AROUND $160 A SQUARE OR 8K PER JOB BEFORE ALL EXPENSES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR EACH JOB?I’M IN THE WRONG AREA

Crocrop you are in the right area. Stay there. Please