Insurance Estimate

[quote=“828br”]

[quote]Marcy Tate Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 am Post subject:

I worked for a general contractor who did not like giving roofing estimates for insurance purposes b/c so often the **insurance companies **[/quote]

picked the least expensive estimate when they were not even going to do the job right.

Interesting, I didn’t know insurance companies were also GC’s. Can you expand on which insurance companies **choose contractors **for the homeowner.[/quote]

Let me clarify…
We went through the process of making an insurance claim for damage to our roof and for a flood in our basement. Both times, our insurance company required us to get three estimates and then submit it to them. They then decided on the amount they would cover based on these estimates. In both cases, they chose the lowest estimate of the three and covered us for that amount. This is how I have always seen it done.

So, many, if not most homeowners will just go with that contractor who gave the lowest estimate and not the best contarctor of three (in other words, the one who would do the best and most thorough job).

Hi Marcy Tate

Can you please check your insurance policy and tell us where in it that it states you must get (3) estimates? Or maybe even better have the insurance company send you a copy of it so you can paste it in a post.
Of course that’s what your insurance company wants is the lowest bid they don’t care about your problem they care about their bottom line.

OK now I see why you state the homeowner needs three estimates. Does it have anything to do with your signature line?

[quote=“Stormer”]Hi Marcy Tate

Can you please check your insurance policy and tell us where in it that it states you must get (3) estimates? Or maybe even better have the insurance company send you a copy of it so you can paste it in a post.
Of course that’s what your insurance company wants is the lowest bid they don’t care about your problem they care about their bottom line.[/quote]

At the time, we were young, first time homeowners and I wish we were smart enough to have challenged their request for 3 estimates. It could have been that it was in our policy, or maybe not. I don’t know as it was a few years ago. But, almost everyone I know (in Southeastern Michigan) who has gotten insurance estimates has been asked to get 3. I just always thought this was standard. Plus, working for a G.C, we always got calls to be the “1 of 3” estimates people need.

Way to go Marcy!
You got 3 estimates stated in your post 3 times. That’s the marketing golden rule. Just think if you could get 6 estimates from contractors on your site you could make twice the money.

Wow… and I guess you were told that by an insurance carrier, huh? What an patently false thing to say. How about crack a book open to read the laws and statutes in your state?