Insurance and Engineers question - 2 layer and organic roofs

Ok, first of all, thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and a special thanks to those that respond and finally, a really super duper thanks to those that even solve this for me! I mean, I will seriously send you a BWW Gift card for it!

My two dilemmas are simple -

1. I keep coming across organic shingles that, though the insurance company agrees are damaged from wind, are saying they will only authorize repair. Now, I’ve researched this, tirelessly for hours and I have not been able to find one engineer or anything in the trades that says they recommend this. — So, is there ANYTHING that I can write to the adjuster and word it so that they approve a roof replacement? I say this about wording because we all know if you say “match” they say, “this isn’t a matching state” but if you say, “reasonable uniform appearance” and “reasonable line of sight appearance”, its the same thing and quite often they authorize the entire roof.
  2. The other challenge I have is…(someone please say ‘dun, dun, dun’) The dreaded 2 layer repair. Again, I don’t see anything from engineers or manufacturers saying that there is an acceptable way to repair a 2 layer roof! However, I was told recently by an adjuster, that “if you can get me something that says it isn’t acceptable, I’ll buy the entire roof”! Now, that being said, I spoke to an engineer, and he kind of hinted that it is possible for BOTH of these scenarios but then said, “I can’t really go into that because I’m hired by the insurance company and it wouldn’t be ethical to tell you the secret recipe to get these jobs bought.” So, again, if there is anyone thats had any luck with these two issues getting approved, and what you specifically write to the desk adjuster or say to the field adjuster, you got some BWW Gift cards coming. ESPECIALLY, if you can post some link to it that I can reference, Like a FEMA practice or something like that. It is criminal that these engineers know this but yet, still deny them because they are being paid by the insurance company.

Finally, I must say, I can NOT be the only contractor having these issues with these two issues. There MUST be someone who has solved this and knows what to say, write, or reference to get these two issues bought!

If you can reply to this or send to my email directly, DReyRose@gmail.com it is soooooo greatly appreciated, so freaking much!

I can’t imagine the organic shingles are repairable. Attempt a repair and video it. Then submit the video to insurance through the homeowner. Here’s one we did to get a $35,000 approved in full. Shingle repair video

Check local code on layers. I assume you have a residential building code book for reference.

The local codes typically say a roof is repairable and can not have MORE than 2 layers but none of them state, SPECIFICALLY, if a roof can have a repair on a 2-layer roof.
I have found:

International Code Council - International Residential Code R907.3 Recovery versus replacement.
New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing all existing layers of roof coverings where any of the following conditions exist:

1. Where the existing roof or roof-covering is water soaked or has deteriorated to the point that the existing roof or roof-covering is not adequate as a base for additional roofing.
 2. Where the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile.
 3. Where the existing roof has two of more of any type of roof covering.

However, the insurance company sited: the section that said roof “repair” was acceptable. It does NOT however say a 2-layer roof was repairable.

Please allow me your thoughts

It’s not repairable if, when you attempt to remove the damaged shingle and install the replacement, you damage the shingles adjacent to the damaged shingle. That has nothing to do with code. We get wind damage bought frequently with this approach. Did you watch the video?

Thanks for useful tip AD per usual.

Nice…adjuster just gave me a line of sight. After passed brittle test. Have you ever heard of this.?

Anything is possible. You got it approved, don’t question it, just enjoy it.