Insurance Adjuster has a question

i am an insurance adjuster since may 2008. i have some question and i am looking for some help. i have been dealing with some matching issues and would like to know hoe do you go about finding a reasonable match for the shingle the customer currently has?

sometimes i work in a state where there is a reasonable appearance rule. so if i want to replace an entire roof since i cant find a reasonable match, how would i go about doing that?

any knowledge would be appreciated?

Shingles fade and lose granules(which give them their color) and get algae stains over time. Sometimes a reasonable match doesn’t exist, even with the original shingle. If the roof is 20 yrs old anyway, yeah replace it. But if the servicable life of the roof has not been used, I think it is unreasonable for the state to say the shingles must match. What truly is unreasonable is the # of roofers who high nail which in newer roofs should prevent this problem.

Hi,

The question you are asking is not clear.

It seems you are asking how to replace a whole roof.

There is a great forum for adjusters, called www.cado.org and those guys and ladies are very knowledgeable and could give you a perspective from your side of the fence, while we can tell you from our point of view.

Ed

[quote=“Adjuster007”]i am an insurance adjuster since may 2008. i have some question and i am looking for some help. i have been dealing with some matching issues and would like to know hoe do you go about finding a reasonable match for the shingle the customer currently has?

sometimes i work in a state where there is a reasonable appearance rule. so if i want to replace an entire roof since i cant find a reasonable match, how would i go about doing that?

any knowledge would be appreciated?[/quote]

There are several facets that you have to consider.

1). Is there anything mandated by the state in that you are working? States such as Minnesota and Kentucky have language that regulate what can and can’t be done.

2). Who is the carrier you’re working for and what is their philosophy. Read just about any insurance policy and the carrier owes for “direct physical damage”. A matching issue is not direct physical damage.

Many insurance carriers may be willing to replace a slope or elevation depending on the roof configuration. Many will consider what is “reasonable” based on sight lines.

If you have damage to one side of a straight gable, they (the carrier) may opt to replace that side as a way to appease a homeowner for matching issues.

3). Small repairs will blend with the existing roof but it will typically take some time for the repair to weather.

Lastly, most homeowners are pretty reasonable as are most roofers. Occassionally, you’re going to run into a homeowner who is problematic. Same on the roofing side.

Best advice is don’t worry about color and matching until you’ve addressed all damages. Otherwise, you’re putting the cart in front of the horse.