Insulation

Is there any insulation the you can put on roofing deck before installing shingle roof? The home owner has a mobile home and you can’t get in the attic to install insulation. He had his home tested for pore insulation and was told the floor and attic need more insulation. But I do not know how it would help to install on the roofing deck. To me it would look like the ridge vent would stop the insulation from working. Please help if there is something out there. Thank you.

Just pull a sheet of plywood during tear off and blow in some cellulose.

When did they start putting shingle roofs with attics on mobile homes? :?: I guess I haven’t been paying attention, because I still picture them with metal roofs.

This is a double wide mobile home.

Come to think of it, I have seen those going down the road in two pieces. I guess the best time to insulate is when it is split in two, otherwise I’d do as Bornaroofer suggests and blow in insulation after you take up a piece of decking.

pull the plywood from the eves and add cellulose and insulation baffles. i do it all the time.

Thank you all.

Pull the plywood and install SPF. It will never settle and therefore never lose R value.

It also will not degraade if it gets wet if you use the right type.

I dont think he wants to spend the money on the double wide it would cost to use the magic do all puf.

Use an osb board that has a poly iso stick to it, maybe the better option for you.
I’m from canada, I do realize that you guy have a lot of material that we don’t carry here, but we got a lots of different product as well.
Terminology is also different
If you need more information I can direct you to their website. Just don’t have it handy

What does “the magic do all puf” mean?

Did you know that polyisocyanurate (aka ISO board) is the same foam insulation?

I think its a good product in its place. To many people think that spray foam is like duct tape and works great anywhere. Its not cheap and I don’t believe this guy would use it on a trailer home vs blown in.
Ive also seen many foam flat roofs that were water beds for hundreds of squares. For vertical walls, slopes ect and insulation its great. On flat roofs I’m not sold.
And possibly its due to the freeze thaw cycles here that it pops loose quite often.

[quote=“BornaRoofer”]I think its a good product in its place. To many people think that spray foam is like duct tape and works great anywhere. Its not cheap and I don’t believe this guy would use it on a trailer home vs blown in.
Ive also seen many foam flat roofs that were water beds for hundreds of squares. For vertical walls, slopes ect and insulation its great. On flat roofs I’m not sold.
And possibly its due to the freeze thaw cycles here that it pops loose quite often.[/quote]

More likely an improper installation. You’re right…some unscrupulous contractors went around in the 70’s and 80’s spraying this stuff down over anything and everything without regard for good roofing practice.

No system will work like that.