Installing a Ridge vent...some?

I would like to install a ridge vent when I shingle my roof early next month and I have a few questions:

Background:

I don’t think my attic is ventilated enough. On days like today, where temps get into the low 80’s and cools off into the 60’s at night, by the time afternoon rolls around I need to turn on the AC. If I don’t, it just won’t cool off inside my house in the evening when temps drops off pretty quick.

I have roughly a 4.5"/12 pitch roof with 5 turtle vents and only eave vents on the back side of my house. I have original Batt insulation and it goes to the eaves, so I will have to open them up to get the air to flow. I plan on installing those insulation block preventer between the rafters.

I plan on using the Snow Country Cobra ridge vent System and adding eave vents around the house.

???:

Do I need to reinstall the turtle vents if I do the ridge vent? Or can I fill the holes and shingle over them with the ridge vent installed?

How many eave vents do I install? I have a Hip roof on a ranch home. I have 80 feet of wall including the garage, which is a separate attic space.

Is my pitch okay to install a ridge vent?

I can supply pics if needed of my roof. I have helped many people install roofs in the past, but that entailed banging nails mostly. I want to do this project right. I just don’t think my attic has proper ventilation. Is the ridge vent the way to go?

thanks!

Do not install turtle vents if using ridgevent.Your pitch is fine to use ridgevent.Use a continuous soffit vent.A few pics would tell us more,as you said it was a hip roof.Length of ridge?Ed the roofer is better at explaining all the technical data than me.He will probably chime in at some point.

were are you located?

gweedo.

I’ve got an offset ridge. My garage is set back a bit from the rest of the house in front. I have about 25 ft. ridge in the main attic and about 20 ft in my garage. Should I do the space over my garage or just my main house attic?

Here are some pics, hopefully they come thru…and I’m located just outside of KC metro area on the Kansas side.http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6909/img_1222294979.jpg

Yes vent it all,yes ridgevent would be the way to go.

I saw a post from Ed the roofer and he mentioned a continuous soffit vent and the regular vent screened. Which would be better to use and I take it the continuous runs the length of the soffit?

Also, if I do just the vents, should I run rafter vent guides in every rafter space so the ventilation doesn’t get blocked by insulation? Or every other rafter?

Oh, and that pic was taken just after a Tornado made a direct hit on my house! :smiley: We were VERY fortunate there wasn’t more damage than that. I saw that baby form and drop in the field just SW of my house and made a direct bee line to my house! That was an exciting Friday evening. Hence, a new roof.

Thanks all for the education I am getting reading through these forums and the great advice. I appreciate it.

Pat

[quote=“PB”]I saw a post from Ed the roofer and he mentioned a continuous soffit vent and the regular vent screened. Which would be better to use and I take it the continuous runs the length of the soffit?

Also, if I do just the vents, should I run rafter vent guides in every rafter space so the ventilation doesn’t get blocked by insulation? Or every other rafter?[/quote]

You can NEVER have too much Intake Ventilation. If you are short on the Exhaust NFVA for the Total balanced amount required, more Intake will assist the Exhaust to perform better.

The Shingle Vent II and the Cobra Snow Country both have an External Wind Deflecting Baffle, which allows the Exhausted amount of air to increase tremendously from as little as a 3 mph continuous breeze, due to the additional forces applied.

Continuous Strip Vent under the soffits are functional, only if they do not get clogged from dust, cobwebs or insulation.

I would pick at minimum, the longest entire length of the home, which is probably the rear and install the Smart Vent across that Eave Edge in it’s entirety. Actually, I would prefer to do all eave edges, with the only exclusion being the garage eaves, but cost does come into play.

Smart Vent = 9 square inches Intake NFVA per lineal foot.

3" continuous Slot Soffit Vent = The Same 9 sq in/ft.

Under soffit rectangular Louver Vents are all different NFVA and a sample of the output can be found on the www.AirVent.com website.

Ed