Input needed for new roofing salesman PlEASE HELP!dishtech

Currently i am a dishnetwork field tech.I install cable and dishes anywhere i can make them work.Thinking about doing some roofing sales. What kind of money should i be payed? More than anything i am looking for some tips on selling a roof and any other great information from the bestsalesman that have the experience that i hope to have one day.I am excited to start this learning process and thank anyone for any feedback.
Thanks again,
dishguy

First off the economy is not good for it right now with someone with ZERO exp. Second it takes years to get good at it. If you are short you eat the difference. Do you know anything about roofing? Do you know how to measure a roof correctly? Have you had any sales training? Why on earth do you want to do this?

Hi,

Where are you located?

Start reading books on sales.

Knowing about roofing is a plus but not necessary.

Dishguy,

It seems that you have two hurdles to cross, sales and then roofing. I think the most important one is learning to sell and take care of your customers. Sales is a simple but difficult game and it takes a knowledge of how to use your basic personality type to master the biz. Contrary to what many people think, the most important thing in sales is listening to the customer and then communicating how you can provide the solution they are looking for. It is not based on talking talking and more talking. Beyond that it requires attention to detail, perseverance, the ability to take rejection and a basic desire to succeed. You have to convince the customer that you are their best option, then let them make the choice.

If you are interested in selling roofing, I recommend finding a stable growing company that will provide you with the basic understanding of the roofing business. Get out there with the crew and learn the product. Get on the phone and call prospective customers. It’s all about pushing yourself forward and it’s up to you if you want to succeed.

Good luck!

Personally, I much prefer being a guy who knows sales AND what it takes to lay down a roof.

Not that I do it these days, but unless I’m on a parts run, I’m onsite for all the rest of the job & often slining shingles right along with the crew.

How can I stand behind the work if I don’t know what’s going on?

Then again, that last sentence just means I don’t have a crew leader that I’m 100% confident in to where I can leave a jobsite & KNOW everything is being done to the best possible standards.

Bottom line is that unlike Lefty, I do think having a working knowledge of how to install a roof is # 1, sales would be # 2. Your desire to sell it shows you have some of what it takes to be in sales.

All too often, you get a craftsman who is uncomfortable talking to customers or clients & they are the ones who may not be suited to run a business or do sales (but will sell if forced into a corner economically or otherwise).

Any time is a good time to sell roofs. Unlike siding, windows, etc. If someone needs a roof, they need it. With the economy being the way it is, I think it will only become better. People will spend the money on much needed exterior repairs on their home, rather than upgrading to a master suite, or $50,000 kitchens. The intelligent way is to start from the top down. To be a successful sales person in any market, you must know what you are selling. If you know little about roofing, you will find it hard to sell an educated customer. Conversely, if you know little about roofing, you are more likely to be molded into selling a certain company’s way of doing things, as opposed to bad habits you may have picked up throughout the years. To be as successful as possible, join a reputable contractor that is selling the highest quality service, and remember the customer always comes first. If you listen to them, they will tell you exactly what they want.

What i am saying is for someone without any exp in roofing sales its not a good time to put yourself out there. Too much risk to fail. At best he will be around 15 to 20 % closing. And that will not pay alot of money. Unless people need it right now they are going to wait this year in residental.

Hi,

I have to laugh. This the perfect time to start a new career. Tomorrow never comes.

I started my business in the middle of Jimmy Carter. GTP1003 you would have told me not to do it.

I ran 2 crews installing kitchens, baths, garages, roofs, siding…

Everything they are telling you not to do I did. In the middle of the worst recession that I can remember. I think interest for a home mortage was 15%.
Inflation was at 20%. Unemployment was at 8%.

Ah yes, the perfect time to start a business. I was 25 years old. I knew little about roofing. I might have done 2 or 3 roofs. Helped on 1 kitchen. Never did a bathroom…

If you want something go for it.

Hi Dishguy,

In 1995 I went full time into roofing. That was when my youngest son graduated high school. He came to work with me.

Most on here have disagreed with me at one time or another. Some have told me I was a hack and should not do roofing.

My company and I have been written about in National trade magazines. I win awards for roofing in my area. I am one of the most respected roofing contractors in my area.

My employees have a full benifit package. Good health insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation, holidays, life insurance, retirement account and I match 3%… Advancement oppurtunitys.

I did this with out finishing high school.

So if you want something bad enough. You can have it.

Quiters never win, Winners never quit.

Best quote I’ve read in awhile

Lefty I am playing the odds. Not a 1 person situation. The odds are he will fail without the proper training and sales exp. Just because you did it does not mean he can is all im saying. I have only seen a hand full of guys make it without this economy. Either he gets lucky or he will fail. There is no 2 ways about it. My problem is he has zero sales time in. ANd if im not mistaken he wants to become a salesman. He has zero roofing time in either. I agree with there is not a next day. But im giving honest and realistic advise. I will not pump someone up to fail. Just not going to do it. He might be able to do it but the odds are like 10,000 to 1.

I agree wth what you said Lefty. But the odds are my concern. People are not spending unless it is a must have right now. NOt a good time to learn how to sell when you have a family to support.

Now that I think about it, all of you other co’s are up against a wall & the best suggestion I can make to you is to quit the biz, NOW, & go to trade school to learn how to be nurses (after all, there’s never a shortage of sick people).

Me, well I’m un-trainable for anything new. I’ll (grudgingly) stick around to help out the customers you can’t service.

But, I’m like that… I’m really only here to help the customers. :wink:

Hi GTP1003,

If he follows your advice, he did fail.

Of course it takes alot of work. Most people would rather do what you are doing and blame others or conditions for your situation.

I keep people that tell me it will not work far away from me. It is infectous. I do not want to be infected with the outside conditions control my life.

If you want to start at the finish line. Then do not try it. For you can not start at the finish line.

I am of the mentality that you cut out your piece of the pie, then chase it till you get it done.

I am constantly reading and changing the way I do things. I have a lot of people that depend on me not to say the economy is bad, sorry there is no work. They need me to develope new sources of work all the time.

I’ve just now registered here for the first time. I’ve been reading much about the business in here as possible. I am a marketer/sales guy…i’ve done appliances and insurance. What I see is roofing from my prospective in the past decade as being them most recession free when in sales compared to my industry in appliances (for new housing which is down) and insurance which is funny industry. EVERY year there is some kind major disaster area(s). Roofing is where you can make a killing if you are good in sales and willing to travel. I can’t understand the negative feedback that I see here. I understand each perspective with great points, but if you have no dependents or family doesn’t mind you leaving for a good few months on and off…then this is a great salesjob. Shoot, my buddy still chases the storms. Makes 75,000+ each year. His peak was here in FL where I’m from and made 370T+! You don’t really need to know much about roofing cuz the sales manager will take you along for a week or 2 to break you in. All you need to do is be a good talker. The sales exp. is already set all of your life just by being a good talker. I kick myself in the butt still for not joining my buddy. He blows my commission away. Do it if are an extrovert.

Sorry for the bad grammar…

GTP, I’ve noticed that you have great advice throughout the site. I give you a thumbs up. I would love to learn as much as possible here as well. In fact, toomorrow is my first day working a laborer on the roof. I, once, set tile flooring for 4 years. So, I have some exp. in measuring, etc…yes, i know, it’s a bigger monster than flooring. I got out insurance and now learning the trade from the bottom…just like Ranch Hand would have it. Personally, I want to learn the knuts-n-bolts of roofing, but one can truly start with no exp. I’ve seen before. They DO get hard at first, but that is the only way to learn.

I do have to say im on pace to double last year…im building an 8,000 sq.ft shop/offices/showroom and times have never been better.

Confidence is huge!!! If you make the customer trust and believe you… you can sell the moon. I upgrade most of my roofs to lifetime and upgrade to synthetic underlayments on almost every job.

I don’t know how many times i can say it…“Every one has a roof, and at some point…every one needs a roof!”

Ditto to you too marshall…great attitude

If you have Superman attitude/thick skin…you can make big money