IKO Shingles!

I’d like an opinion from the pros ! Are IKO shingles reputable ??? My friends need a new roof and their contractor is really pushing IKO Cambridge 50 AR on them. They are determined to use 50 yr. shingles and I’ve tried to tell them there are also other good ones to consider ( ie : GAF , Certainteed )
If you had a choice , which would you prefer ?
Might make a difference if they hear it coming from you guys/gals ! Thanks

Ahhhh … Haaaaa !! Just as I suspected ! Good to hear some honest responses. Keep em’ coming , folks !!!

Might be pushing IKO because I believe they are based out of Canada. Haven’t heard a whole lot of good about them though, for whatever that’s worth.

Hi,

What they produce in Canada may be of better quality.

The shingles they sell in the US are of very poor quality.

Its the worst shingle brand on the market today. Very seldom do we put them on anymore, most suppliers around here have thrown them out.

IKO seems to have a very bad reputation. I’ll just stick with GAF, Certainteed, ELK, Malarkey, and yes even OC.

Thanks for your brutal honesty guys … I was hoping you heavy hitters would weigh in with your expertise. This is exactly what I was hoping for. The truth from the pros !!! I’ll pass this on to my friends … maybe even let them read these posts for themselves. That’ll scare em’ off IKOs … hahaha !!!
Thanks again … you guys rock !!!

What is wrong with OC? I opened a couple of bundles and compared GAF and OC side by side and OC looked like it had a lot better quality. I know looks can be deceiving though. If you are going strictly by appearance, I would choose OC over GAF.

I go with over 100 years making shingles. I just dont like the tar strips on the ocs. A solid strip is not a good idea.

I have read a lot about the solid strip. I just don’t see as a huge problem with laminate shingles. The only gap water can get behind the shingle is at the butt ends. The tar strip doesn’t go all the way to the butt so I believe the water that gets into the gap will drain. I’m not sure about valleys though. I would think it would be a bigger problem with 3 tab shingles. I think OC finds aesthetics and strong adhesives the most important aspect of a shingle.

The problem bread is if there is a wicking action and it happens more than not the shingle has zero ability to shed such water causing a backup under the shingle in if its cold watch out them you have a major problem. In valleys that will be more pronuced. I just dont like there shingle line. Yea the name OC has been around forever but how long have they been making shingles? I just go with the 2 that have over 100 years making them. I know you put them on your house and its like this. Ford, GM and Chrysler. Take a pick each one has pros and cons.

See the thread on the OC recall.

Now, now guys… we really need to be “forward thinking” here. We need to suggest a shingle that will provide a little bit of job security.

I don’t know if you guys are thinking long term & this single house selection will make or break our industry.

!!!

:wink:

They did suggest “forward thinking” shingle line choices. read the whole thread

Did four roofs for a builder from Southern Minnesota with Iko shingles. Three were Cambridge and the 65sq 10/12 was Dynasty which actually laid very nice as it was in the dead of Winter and the shingles were supposed to be made to lay good when cold. Had some ridge blow off on that one which I didn’t care much for the ridge but the garage on the house next door blew off in the same wind storm so a few ridge was nothing, not one shingle had blown off. Drive by the house weekly and it still looks like new 4 years later, the whole house had plywood rather than builtrite or osb! The supervisor said they had some blow off isues with the Cambridge so I installed 5-6 nails per shingles.

Certainteed Landmark 30 AR is the base shingle for insurance work and tear offs. All of my builders use Landmarks too.

[quote=“Templeman”]I’d like an opinion from the pros ! Are IKO shingles reputable ??? My friends need a new roof and their contractor is really pushing IKO Cambridge 50 AR on them. They are determined to use 50 yr. shingles and I’ve tried to tell them there are also other good ones to consider ( ie : GAF , Certainteed )
If you had a choice , which would you prefer ?
Might make a difference if they hear it coming from you guys/gals ! Thanks[/quote]

Seriously ive been using cambrige for about five years and not had one blow off or leak.
Im not sure if we are shipping you guys the crappy one cuz the ones im using are top notch.
I know iknow im gonna get bugged on for saying this but I lOve the iko cmabrige line. They wont blow off the have rpecision cutting preceeder and there are the easyiest to keep starianght. No chalk line needed. They ahve a hughe colar line tto. They ll mack any colour you need.
Peace.

i know i sound like a iko lover but I am. And until i have a defeciency ill stop using them.
All the million dollar homes are using them so i dont have a problem.

By the way do you honestly think the home owner cars? Maybe they do wheen you trying to sell them a roof but im in the new constuction.

Yikes, guys… (not directed to everyone, only a select few). Have you noticed when you are typing a RED line might occasionally appear underneath a word??

the red line means if you leave it as is, you might be confusing the heck out of people.

I’m not going to pick this subject up again, but sheesh…

Roof Buster,

What size are the Cambridge? It’s been a couple years but thought they were larger than the Landmarks.

All I know is I had one of my best days laying solo with the Cambridge. The new roof was five miles from my house and in one day I put down 38 sq’s with no helper besides the farmer who helped load the roof with his Dads tractor. 6/12 hip roof, papered in, cut every valley and hip, didn’t ridge or install vents. With a short lunch break must have worked 12 hours that day, 3.17sq per hour average, decent with laminates. Very easy to lay straight and the butt ends were pretty square.

From time to time I’ll get runs of shingles that seem to have un-square butt ends which really make running straight tough. Dips and bows can also send straight shingles to be run crooked.