IKO Cambridge 30 AR vs Timberline Prestique 30 High Def

Hello,

My roof was recently damaged by hail, and the insurance company has agreed to have the roof replaced.

The contractor I am working with (Patriot Service Network) is recommending the IKO Cambridge 30 AR. An alternative is the GAF Timberline Prestique 30 High Def. The contractor is pushing IKO, saying that the weight is 2.1 lbs/shingle for the IKO vs 1.6 lbs/shingle for the Timberline. Also, that IKO is vertically integrated and makes all its own granules, while GAF gets their supplies from sub-contractors.

My question is -

1. Any opinion on the Patriot Service Network? I checked BBB and couldn’t find complaints (only 1 complaint, resolved).
  2. Opinion on the shingles and what I am being told about the companies?

Also, is there anything I should be asking for, in addition to showing the contractor the insurance estimate and worksheet, and saying ‘replace my roof’? I am uneasy that there may be certain things you only get unless you ask for it.

Any info would be much appreciated - many thanks!

Go with the GAF/Elk shingles or Certainteed.
IKO’s are very poor in quality…

I prefer GAF 8*).

We use GAF/ELK in florida,the home of very stringent building codes. (hurricanes and hot sun) I doubt IKO has florida building code approval. I’ve never seen IKO at all in Florida.

I would suggest GAF/ELK.

James

BTW, check out thishttp://www.roofing.com/forum/about6806.html

just remeber this…IKO rhymes with “NO” for a reason!! :wink:

Everyone who responded here - thanks a lot! Made my choice a whole lot easier - GAF Timberline it is…

GAF/Elk most certainly does make there own granuals.
Funny that anyone in the roofing industry would ever recomend IKO.

You guys better watch what you say about iko. I got a personal visit from them wanting to know why i dislike there shingles and if it did not go well they were going to sue me. It happened on this site so becareful. I still wont use them but like i said watch out.

We are simply giving our honest opinion based upon our experience.
I am pretty confident that we can back up our claims rather easily.
Maybe they should just make a better product.

I have found that it is better to show and explain how a product or contractor is superior to another rather than to put the others down…Plenty of people have used these products,and contractors in the past,and will continue to use them in the future. People expect the best,and not all people will choose a superior product or service if given the choice. Usually for monetary reasons,lol They feel that a shingle that has been inalled by anyone will do the job. Those who have pride,and shop on the quality basis choose the superior product or service for the fact of feeling the security that there is less risk,and they can enjoy the benefits of know that they have the best that the industry has to offer them.I myself have had to use different manufacturers products for the color choices.That is it. I don’t say you can save if you use xyz shingles,cause they are too close in price…I would rather eat a couple bucks on a job, and have peace of mind that the customer got what they paid for and I will not have to loose sleep wondering if there will be a problem down the road…

[quote=“icyguy”]Hello,

My roof was recently damaged by hail, and the insurance company has agreed to have the roof replaced.

The contractor I am working with (Patriot Service Network) is recommending the IKO Cambridge 30 AR. An alternative is the GAF Timberline Prestique 30 High Def. The contractor is pushing IKO, saying that the weight is 2.1 lbs/shingle for the IKO vs 1.6 lbs/shingle for the Timberline. Also, that IKO is vertically integrated and makes all its own granules, while GAF gets their supplies from sub-contractors.

My question is -

1. Any opinion on the Patriot Service Network? I checked BBB and couldn’t find complaints (only 1 complaint, resolved).
  2. Opinion on the shingles and what I am being told about the companies?

Also, is there anything I should be asking for, in addition to showing the contractor the insurance estimate and worksheet, and saying ‘replace my roof’? I am uneasy that there may be certain things you only get unless you ask for it.

Any info would be much appreciated - many thanks![/quote]

CertainTeed or GAF. IKO shingles are builder grade (in other words cheap).

I normally use GAF-ELK for all my roofs… I had one customer that requested a red dimensional shingle and IKO was what we found.

The roof turned out pretty bad. There were color problems, the roof looked “patchy”. I checked the lot #'s on the shingles, as usual, but it was one of those things where you cant see the problem until you’ve got most of the roof on.

GAF-ELK by far

They must have mafia ties???