IB roof or Duro-Last roof?

I’m looking to re-roof a small flat roof portion from an old 1908 home in St Paul, MN. I’m also looking to install a flat roof over a new garage and then install pavers as a rooftop deck. I’ve received multiple bids, all around the same price, and I think I’m down to two options.

1. IB roof installed by Fischer Roofing
  2. Duro-Last roof installed by Walker Roofing.

Does anybody have any opinions of IB vs. Duro-Last or any opinions on these two companies?

Thanks,
Ed

I’m not a fan of any pvc roof. But if you must then I suppose as long as you get a warranty (I believe IB is lifetime) there both ok.
If your going to use it as a deck then go with the thicker membrane 60 mil minimum.

Hi,

I would not use a pvc under pavers.

If you do do not use the duro-last. The fastners will wear thru. Make sure the IB is fully adhered. If they are mechanically fastening the IB it will wear thru too.

Go with a torch down or a cold process asphalt. They will hold up to the weight of the pavers. Make sure the roof was built to hold the weight of the pavers.

[quote=“edpowers”]I’m looking to re-roof a small flat roof portion from an old 1908 home in St Paul, MN. I’m also looking to install a flat roof over a new garage and then install pavers as a rooftop deck. I’ve received multiple bids, all around the same price, and I think I’m down to two options.

1. IB roof installed by Fischer Roofing
  2. Duro-Last roof installed by Walker Roofing.

Does anybody have any opinions of IB vs. Duro-Last or any opinions on these two companies?

Thanks,
Ed[/quote]

What’s my third choice?

3 ply mod bit, torch applied.
A very durable roof.

I don’t know anything about these roofs, I’ve had three companies come out to bid, and all three of them recommended PVC. Two had the duro-last and the other had the IB. Does anybody have any recommendations for flat-roofer (willing to come out and re-roof a small flat roof) with anything other than PVC? Are the other type of roofs similar priced, or more expensive? I’m not super worried about the price, I just want the best, longest lasting waterproof flat roof.

In your market you should be using EPDM membrane (Rubber). It will come in cheaper and works well with pavers. IB and Duro will be extremely expensive and is, as many have noted, a PVC membrane. For the money you would spend for IB or Duro, you could use a 75 mil EPDM and be way ahead.

If you are putting pavers over the roof membrane, then I would stay away from single-ply membranes.

When you install a paver over single ply you simply use a protective mat under the paver. This looks somewhat like a carpet underlayment. Works like a charm and keeps the paver from damaging the single ply. This system has been used for more than 40 years and works just fine.

Never said single-ply roofs wouldn’t work beneath pavers; just that it wouldn’t be my choice or recommendation. FWIW, I used to be a Carlisle and Firestone applicator when I was a roofer, so I’ve put down all sorts of EPDM.

Thanks for the advice. I will attempt to get some bids on 75 mil EPDM. Its been difficult finding roofers willing to bid on my small flat roof project. As a total novice, would somebody be willing to break down the benefits of EPDM vs. PVC?

The short version of EPDM fs PVC:

EPDM started the single ply business over 40 years ago.
EPDM is a Thermoset product, meaning that it is a cured membrane. What you see is what you get for its lifetime. Because it is thermoset, you use a special tape to put together the seams.
EPDM has no chlorine or plasticizers, thus is environmentally and applicator friendly.
PVC is thermoplastic, meaning it is welded by using hot air.
PVC is polyvinyl chloride, meaning it has chlorine, plasticizers and other chemicals that make, basically, a hard plastic into a flexible membrane.
PVC is an uncured membrane and cures over its lifetime.
Some environmentalists claim PVC is bad for the environment in any form. Who knows?
A new product called TPO is replacing PVC in the thermoset market because it does not contain chlorine or plasticizers and is more environmentally friendly. It also uses hot air to weld the seam.
In the overall scope of single ply roofing, EPDM is the largest selling membrane in the US by a huge margin.
Lastly, EPDM is black in color and PVC is white. In sun belt states the white membrane is preferred. In your area the black roof is the better option.

Hi,

Only the edpm material is user friendly. Doni is not including the glues and primers that you inhale to install the edpm. Or the cleaning agents you use.

Lefty,
EPDM doesn’t use glue for the seams anymore, so no glue smell. Cleaners and bonding adhesive are much less risky than the phthalates coming out of the PVC membrane. In fact, the bonding adhesive used in California meets low VOC emission standards. This project would be a ballasted assembly, thus no bonding adhesive to worry about.

just be carefull putting pavers over your roof.
to me this is never a good idea.
holds water and roof cannot dry out.
helps rott roof faster.

put a roof on that you can walk on.

gweedo.

90 mil epdm with all the seams and details stripped in with 5". Then 2" blue dow board with drainage channels on the bottom with 2’x2’ concrete pavers on top.

If you do decide to go with PVC ply, go with the IB and pass on the Durolast. IB is thicker and the warranty is lifetime vs 15 yrs for durolast. Durolast has a reputation for using cheap inexperienced contractors to help make up for its overpricedness. They hate fixing ponds and tell you not to worry because the warranty is effective under ponding conditions. Durolast also encourages it contractors to cover over old roofs unless tearoff is absolutely necessary. This cheaper cover over option is often used as a bait and switch to unsuspecting customers who might balk at the high price of durolast+tearoff job.