I want to start a Roofing business with no experience!

Does Anybody have any advice that they could give I’m New to the board and I noticed that the roofing business seems to be very profitable and it looks like a business i could invest in but I need to find someone that knows the biz first
:smiley:
thanks guys

you are picking an extremely cut throat business with a very bad reputation, & one of the top complaints to the better business bureau. so with no exp. i would suggest don’t do it. to be successful it is actually quite a costly business to run. first thing you need to do is look into workmans comp ins. as this will be on of your first needs to do business in any state. if the sticker shock from this doesn’t kill you…come back and we’ll tell you more.

4-6% is VERY profitable? youre crazy to get into this business.

Well why let a little thing Like Experience stop you, I’ve seen a lot of roofs contracted by people with little or no experience. First thing you need to do is have references - Thats easy get your Mom ( whos tired of you living in the basement ) to be a reference ,Now your Aunt sally ( make sure her last name is different than Yours) Then add in a couple of friends , if one or two these live in a house with a good looking roof ,thats better yet. Now Insurance is no biggy Either buy some that lets you make a down payment then drop it ( so you have the certificate ) or just lie ( like most of the other Fly-by-nights do. If they ask if your Licensed say yes ( you are …you got a Drivers Lic. dont you ) Tell them to check for complaints with the BBB … you dont have any complaints . Now your 1/2 way there …start advertising in your local papers or post Business cards around on bulletin boards ( put on them that you have 8 years experience) Also state on them how you offer a 10 year written guarantee ( I mean roofings easy …there wont be any call backs…Hell just follow the instructions on the back of the package & you be better than 3/4 of the roofers out there). Soon Calls will be flooding in , Just bid low …The profit is so great you will make money anyways. Make certain you collect at least 1/2 the money up front ( this is even more profitable if you plan on just splitting & not doing any work ) . Now how can you miss , so Let me be the first to welcome you to your exciting new path to success & fulfilling those Champagne wishes & Caviar dreams

for those that missed it…he is being sarcastic…( i think)

is that the same business model the “increase your profits” guy uses?

:stuck_out_tongue:

hello mr alabama,
well ya just have to find ya some good roofers in your neighborhood
and hire em.
get your licence.
get an office
do some advertisin.
and wait for the calls to come in.
when they do, sell em.

pretty easy
just takes money.

gweedo

gweedo.

1. Oldman your on to something! i like the way you think! Anyway i’m doing the same thing I just got a DBA and trying toget ins. but i heard that it is alot if you dont do siding also.Does anyone know if this is true and where would you ins. from"? A bank "?

“you heard its alot if you dont do siding also” Translation-- you found a crooked insurance agent that has told you to lie and get the wrong insurance, and when/and/ or if they audit you, good luck. He is getting a commission for doing so.

If you like to golf, follow that advice. Lots of courses in those white collar prisons I hear!
Also, vague contracts in my area are considered to be purposefully misleading whereas you are the “professional” dealing with a naive homeowner, so good luck on that aspect too. My first boss said it best when he said, “if it was easy you wouldn’t have a job.” Toast to that! Twelve years later and I’m a little less broke with a few assets I suppose.

The people that I meet in my travels say, “Oh, roofing, thats such hard work.” They don’t know the half of it. I can roof blindfolded with one arm; try being a fortuneteller, accountant, lawyer, customer service rep., supervisor, financial analyst, marketing director, human resources and more… and then wake up tomorrow and do it again.

AM IN Sev. This is the reason our industry is getting a bad and even worse name. Cant make a decent profit on a job because some guy comes out just to make fast money and disappeare within 2 to 5 yrs. This industry is to easy to get in to and that is a big problem. I think its great that michigan is going to pass it that you half to have at least an associates degree to get your license.

What do u think the outside world thinks of roofers when they visit this site for help and all these idiots argue w/ each other rather than answering the guests questions. I understand the service is free but, come on guys grow up and be the professional you all claim to be. I mean everyone braggs about how great of a roofer they are, and how they would fire there employees for asking questions no matter how simple or stupid the question. If u read several post you will see them contridicting themselves, just depending on who they are arguing with. In fact one roofer will tell you that BUR is the “most bang for your buck” but yet he said hi is no longer going to sell it and has a post selling all of his BUR equipment. Maybe they should go study business and ethics then they could have some satisfied customers and make some money, and then the pictures of there neighbors roofs would look like the neighbor hood where a successful businessman would live not your everyday average income earner. I mean afterall they claim to be the best and own such a large company shouldn’t there neighbors houses be further apart and much bigger than the houses in those pics. Anyways u get my point!!!1

What do u think the outside world thinks of roofers when they visit this site for help and all these idiots argue w/ each other rather than answering the guests questions. I understand the service is free but, come on guys grow up and be the professional you all claim to be. I mean everyone braggs about how great of a roofer they are, and how they would fire there employees for asking questions no matter how simple or stupid the question. If u read several post you will see them contridicting themselves, just depending on who they are arguing with. In fact one roofer will tell you that BUR is the “most bang for your buck” but yet he said hi is no longer going to sell it and has a post selling all of his BUR equipment. Maybe they should go study business and ethics then they could have some satisfied customers and make some money, and then the pictures of there neighbors roofs would look like the neighbor hood where a successful businessman would live not your everyday average income earner. I mean afterall they claim to be the best and own such a large company shouldn’t there neighbors houses be further apart and much bigger than the houses in those pics. Anyways u get my point!!!1

[quote]What do u think the outside world thinks of roofers when they visit this site for help and all these idiots argue w/ each other rather than answering the guests questions. I understand the service is free but, come on guys grow up and be the professional you all claim to be. I mean everyone braggs about how great of a roofer they are, and how they would fire there employees for asking questions no matter how simple or stupid the question. If u read several post you will see them contridicting themselves, just depending on who they are arguing with. In fact one roofer will tell you that BUR is the “most bang for your buck” but yet he said hi is no longer going to sell it and has a post selling all of his BUR equipment. Maybe they should go study business and ethics then they could have some satisfied customers and make some money, and then the pictures of there neighbors roofs would look like the neighbor hood where a successful businessman would live not your everyday average income earner. I mean afterall they claim to be the best and own such a large company shouldn’t there neighbors houses be further apart and much bigger than the houses in those pics. Anyways u get my point!!!1
[/quote]

So youre saying that since I think the BUR/modified bitumen hybrid system is the best, that the insurance markets and lack of skilled, qualified personell needed to install such systems should not dictate that I no longer market to install such systems?

I think that business ethics (as you call it) isnt so much an issue as the high cost of insurance (because of the hot asphalt) and the lack of roofers able to build one of these systems.

So, since I have not yet “made millions” in my business as of yet that I should not offer free roofing advice? OK, if you say so. I think it is agood business move, considering all the factors involved. times change, and we have to change with them.

Yes, I could afford a biger house…I probably can now, but…

1. I do not measure my success in terms of keeping up with the Jonses
  2. I do not beleive that I would like to live in a bigger house and have a larger payment for the benefit of…???
  3. Doing things the legal and moral way DOES, in fact, impede immediate stardom.

BEing where I am in my 9th year of doing legal, legitimate business, and not until recently ever having borrowed money to do it (strict money management) makes me a friggin stand out.

Nope, I think dropping the hot work in my area is a good business decision… this does not mean the BUR isnt the best bang for the buck.

If I did things the common way, I would illegally pay all the workers cash, 1099 them (avoiding labor burdens and taxes and omitting coverages that protect not only me, but my clients as well) and make tons more money.

Sorry, Frank, I still beleive in doing things right…no matter what the rest of the market is doing.

BTW, dude, I never said I have a big comapny…you may have, but I didnt…and ALL of my customers are satisfied. I have never left a single client hanging, even when my crews have made some pretty big screwups…I have ALWAYS made things right.

If I am not mistaken, I am the only one that showed their nieghbors’ houses? How much do these homes go for in my area, Frank?