I want to recruit roofers for my company

I m always recriuting roofer but im having trouble finding good roofers.The roofers i usually find are fast but cant do good metal work. So im loooking for good roofers to work new roofs and re roofs. Im looking to have fifteen three man crew or better. I have all the contracts and if i can get that many really good roofers i can even get more contracts. Currently the builder has two roofing companys on there homes. So i get the roofer i have the contracts.
How can i steal roofers from other companys legally whitout the other companys bitching.
How do i approuch roofer and what do i say.In the past we had companys bitching us out for stealing there roofers. I dont want to make enemys with other companys but it seems that there is no other way.
Id put a ad in the paper but i dont want the attention.

I guess nobody wants to get paid every time they complete a house and get a new truck that insured and registered. I gues everybody wants to pay for there metal and materials and there bins .

Have you tried offering $1 more per sq.?

good roofers arent found …they are made.make yourself a couple of good roofers starting tommorow.

Im currently training two roofers but they be ready for about three months. Im looking for fast crews. Its really hard to find some. Im looking to have about three crews that can keep a good pace. I dont want to make profit off them im need them to do good work and impress the builders. I would pay them top dollar and let them keep all there profits if they sign a contract. Im looking to have fifteen crews. Ten crews that are allright but im looking for that elite five to do show homes and large contracts. If i can get those elite five then Ill be able to aquire the lager contracts. Im currently in competion with other companys for contract for major home builders. I need the elite five. So far havent come across crews that can keep my pace and expertise. I dont want to have to do these showhomes. I should be on the phone aquiriing contract and so forth.

“How can i steal roofers from other companys legally whitout the other companys bitching.
How do i approuch roofer and what do i say.In the past we had companys bitching us out for stealing there roofers. I dont want to make enemys with other companys but it seems that there is no other way.
Id put a ad in the paper but i dont want the attention.”

Not for nothing but you sound like a jerk.

As for aquiring roofers?! Try putting a sign out front that reads “Free beer!”.

:smiley:

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]“How can i steal roofers from other companys legally whitout the other companys bitching.
Id put a ad in the paper but i dont want the attention.”

Not for nothing but you sound like a jerk.

As for aquiring roofers?! Try putting a sign out front that reads “Free beer!”.[/quote]

Naw i dont want drunk roofer. I deal whit those kinds of roofer too much.

I agree, but making roofers is time-consuming, you’d have to admit.

I suppose I could get in trouble for saying this, but I’ve never been interested in, say, a 40 year old roofer. Why aren’t they working already? Too much baggage, I assume.

I’d rather get a kid fresh out of high school and not only teach them to roof, but also teach them how to live productive lives (many potential roofers have no idea how to budget, how to establish and maintain credit, how to balance their lives).

I’m in no way getting rich, and I have my share of problems keeping profit margins as projected, but I know that BUILDING a company is essential. You have to have respect and genuinely care about your employees lives if you expect them to listen to you, and care about your company, and want to operate in their role within your company.

I’m coming back to roofing, phasing myself out of my brother in laws landscaping operation. I’m a roofer and I miss it. My phone is ringing this year with no advertisements once again (seems ads have always been counter-productive for me). All my guys have been begging me to stay in it anyway, but sometimes I need to worry about me. They’ve all said they’re coming back.

My first year, I followed a bad example and had the revolving door going. A bunch of warm bodies there to get paid is all they were. After a while, I learned how to spot raw talent and ambition. If you spot raw talent and ambition and you don’t treat them right, they leave. You have to have a mutual respect.

One kid, I got when he was 18, blasted on a bundle of shingles, in open field, but perfectly straight that I timed at 2 minutes. I watched the whole thing, not one skip nail, not one high nail. The boy made me proud. It’s all about the system.

Hi,

Go drug-free

and have a valid drivers license.

A good recource is the local vo-tech high school. hire for work ethic and train skill. There are a lot of good American kids still that can make a good living roofing.many of your career roofers are outdoors types.

RooferJim

The only thing that’s overnight is the lottery & we all know the odds on that one (not to thread-jack, but if I were to win, the first thing I’d do is keep my mouth SHUT!).

Anyhow…

You can’t expect to get 45 guys super fast. That’s called too much expansion & even if you DID have that many guys (fifteen 3 person crews), you could never keep everything straight by yourself. You’ll have some kind of turnover, there will be arguments & personality conflicts. You’ll line up one group of 3 & one is a smoker who pisses off the other two… get ready for playing one part air traffic controler, one part psychotherapist, one part kindergarten teacher, one part cop & a lot of headaches.

Egos, attitudes, various head cases, etc.

Sounds like you’ll end up needing @ least two supervising foremen who know how to work construction & all the associated headaches that go with it.

Finally, like I said - not overnight. Pay better, demand more, advertise in the newspaper & CraigsList to an anonymous Email address (“Roof.Canada at whatever-dot-com” or a Post Office Box, etc.) & after awhile, your name will get out there with the crews.

It will also get out there in a negative way a LOT faster if you don’t treat them right, don’t follow up with what you say, & especially if you don’t know how to critique a roof. With 45 guys (even if 5 of these crews are ‘elite’ like you hope), you’re going to get corners cut & project integrity will be compromised somewhere by someone for soem reason you won’t be able to comprehend…

Like it or not, this is human nature, so get ready now.

Hi,

In Pa. you can not hire out of the Vo-tech.

They need to be 18 years old to be on a roof.

Not too many roofers have a driver’s license. I am a good roofer but my nephew works for me and he does all my driving (no license here). If any in Indiana or Illinois is looking for a roofer let me know maybe we can do some business.

Why is that. I dont have my drivers either. I have my learners and have a guy that does so all he has to do is sit in the passenger.

[quote=“roofing buster”]
I dont have my drivers either. I have my learners…[/quote]

Un. Freaking. Believable.

I might (maybe might) understand if you were in NYC & all you did was sell, but to not have your own DL? If it’s not for DUI’s or something (which in itelf says a lot) then why the hell not?

See, Buster, it’s little things like this that seep out about you over time that makes other folks here wonder what you’re about. We get a picture that little by little becomes clearer over time.

I don’t know about you, but for the majority of us we like to come here to exercise our brains in relation to our chosen vocation: roofing.

We like to compare stories because our significant others don’t really know (or care) what it’s like to rip up caked Henry from the sides of a 50 year old chimney on a 12:12 (& we don’t really want them to know how steep & difficult it was).

We come here to answer questions from folks who have genuine issues & need legitimate answers & we have a little bit of concern for our fellow person & how they can be best served by the trade as a whole.

We aren’t here to prove anything, just for the most part to commiserate & to help out.

But if anyone were to take more than basic answers from you as the best advice out there, then I’m sorry for that. You have repeatedly told us that you do 75% new construction & it’s possbly even more than that. If this IS the case & if you only do new, then you are only 1/10th the roofer you act like you are & probably .01% of the roofer we suspect.

I’m sorry to be brutal here, but really - if you don’t have your own DL then that’s Just. Freaking. Insane.

Well i think i can say i have heard it all now. You are right ranch. This is such a sad subject now.

Hi,

Twice I needed to hire someone with a drivers license. He picked me up in the morning. Worked all day with me. Droped me off at the end of the day.

Where would you want him to go till he is perfect like you guys???

Lefty, I’m trying to be as non judgmental here as I can…

But he stated he’s only got his learner’s permit. IIRC, he’s around 23 years old & that would mean he’s been a slacker for around 6+ years now?

No wai…

Wai!