I sent the following email to Xactimate

Jason, that would certainly be a major league waste of talent. And I’m guessing one day of flipping burgers would likely relieve the insurance burn out.

However, if you go that route … I’ll have a McRib, Fries and Large Sweet Tea. LOL

I’ll have a Big Mac meal with a Coke! :wink: Judging from your website, besides having built a successful and viable business, you do alot of good for the people in your area. Can’t keep doing that working in front of a hot greasy grill.

Ins work can be a BPITB. IMO however, no harder than doing retail and handing out “free” estimates to DIYer’s who think they know more than you do…and the money’s always much better when people are properly trained. Feel free to contact me for help

I purchased LMB’s playbook over a year ago and I must say it paid for itself very quickly. I’ve noticed supplements are much larger especially when times are slower so I have more office time to negotiate with insurance companies.
-ARC- It’s also helpful with commercial jobs. We had a commercial job about 6 months ago that was originally paying around $175k and I got it up to $218k.
-In the last month it’s been really slow with the holidays around. I turned a $14,500 office building into $23,100 office building. And there are about 5 other residential jobs that profits were increased. In the last 30 days, not including the office building homerun supplement of $8,600, I’ve gotten an additional $17,500 that would probably only be around $10,000 if it weren’t for the playbook.
-AD- Our main office is in Olive Branch, MS. And we’ve stormed in Charlotte, NC., Louisville, KY., and around Nashville, TN. So it’s been effective in multiple markets.
-Everyone who’s been in the business long enough knows right when you “think” you’ve got everything figured out the insurance companies change up their gameplan. The 3RSystems is a supplemental education program that helps you know what to do when the insurance company says no.

American_Dad

Did you ever get a reply from Xactimate?

LMB - I have been a member on here for a while, but have talked on very few occasions. I am genuinely interested in “The Playbook” much like Dad, however most everything you have had to say on here and on your websites seems to go around in circles and promising money money money. While I admit the prospect of better profits is enticing. I will not shell out $330 without some references. As soon as you open up your reference book of fellow contractors who have found your package useful I will have no problem opening up my wallet.

[font=Arial]**I have been ROM for a while now and finally got them to activate my account here.

I recently purchased the package (Dec. 2012) and have been reading and applying what I have learned. There is a lot of info. to go through. I have more than got my money back and did it very quickly. The idea of accepting the lowball offers given by the insurance companies had me looking for answers. In Texas it has become a very difficult task dealing with field and inside adjusters. LMB says, why leave money on the table by taking the ridiculous low offers? The GC O&P issue also had me looking for answers. While I have a long way to go, I feel I have learned a lot in the past 2 months. I finally made the call to TDI concerning the two bulletins, Commissioner’s Bulletin #B-0045-98 & Commissioner’s Bulletin #B-0068-08. I wanted to know what they meant and what qualified for the GC O&P. The representative firmly stated that the GC O&P is due on the claims because the insured is already paying for it in their homeowner policy premium and if they are paying for it the insurance companies cannot withhold it as it creates an illegal windfall. It has nothing to do with the number of trades nor complexity as they will often tell you. The insurance companies know the truth, but until it is enforced they will make up their own rules for paying or not paying it and most of the time they say NO. He also stated if the insurance companies commit bad faith acts by underpaying the claim, not paying the GC O&P and committing tortious interference the contractor or homeowner needs to file a complaint with TDI. He said the contractor can file a complaint as long as they notify the homeowner they are doing so. This may be old news for many that post on a regular basis, but hopefully it will help someone.

Thank you LMB for making this playbook and providing the info. I have not used the 3RStimax program yet, but more and more after using Xactimate I am about ready to jump ship. Our company hired a former adjuster to do roof inspections and claim writeups last year - he had his own pricing program in Excel. Many insurance companies rejected his estimates, so he went back to using Xactimate. I am hoping this won’t be an issue in the future.**[/font]

How about some specifics of what you’ve done that had a positive impact on specific claims and in general? That would potentially help others in their efforts to do the same.

[quote=“bdawg”]

LMB - I have been a member on here for a while, but have talked on very few occasions. I am genuinely interested in “The Playbook” much like Dad, however most everything you have had to say on here and on your websites seems to go around in circles and promising money money money. While I admit the prospect of better profits is enticing. I will not shell out $330 without some references. As soon as you open up your reference book of fellow contractors who have found your package useful I will have no problem opening up my wallet.[/quote]

[font=Arial]**I have been ROM for a while now and finally got them to activate my account here.

I recently purchased the package (Dec. 2012) and have been reading and applying what I have learned. There is a lot of info. to go through. I have more than got my money back and did it very quickly. The idea of accepting the lowball offers given by the insurance companies had me looking for answers. In Texas it has become a very difficult task dealing with field and inside adjusters. LMB says, why leave money on the table by taking the ridiculous low offers? The GC O&P issue also had me looking for answers. While I have a long way to go, I feel I have learned a lot in the past 2 months. I finally made the call to TDI concerning the two bulletins, Commissioner’s Bulletin #B-0045-98 & Commissioner’s Bulletin #B-0068-08. I wanted to know what they meant and what qualified for the GC O&P. The representative firmly stated that the GC O&P is due on the claims because the insured is already paying for it in their homeowner policy premium and if they are paying for it the insurance companies cannot withhold it as it creates an illegal windfall. It has nothing to do with the number of trades nor complexity as they will often tell you. The insurance companies know the truth, but until it is enforced they will make up their own rules for paying or not paying it and most of the time they say NO. He also stated if the insurance companies commit bad faith acts by underpaying the claim, not paying the GC O&P and committing tortious interference the contractor or homeowner needs to file a complaint with TDI. He said the contractor can file a complaint as long as they notify the homeowner they are doing so. This may be old news for many that post on a regular basis, but hopefully it will help someone.

Thank you LMB for making this playbook and providing the info. I have not used the 3RStimax program yet, but more and more after using Xactimate I am about ready to jump ship. Our company hired a former adjuster to do roof inspections and claim writeups last year - he had his own pricing program in Excel. Many insurance companies rejected his estimates, so he went back to using Xactimate. I am hoping this won’t be an issue in the future.**[/font]

I have purchased the program.

I think it helped me to understand more about how to think about or approach a claim.

Having been a contractor, Insurance adjuster and a restoration contractor for many years I did find that I had experienced many of situations described in the program. However, there is a lot of common sense information that can bring a person who is fairly new to the industry up to speed in just a few hours. I believe the program combined with much of my reading from CatContracor on a previous website he had and the information shared on this site have afforded me a much better position when dealing with claims. All one must do to find injustice is open their eyes. If the program has taught me one thing it is to ask for what you need to do the job correctly.

How many of you have been paid to magnitize and rake the yard? I have

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]How about some specifics of what you’ve done that had a positive impact on specific claims and in general? That would potentially help others in their efforts to do the same.

[quote=“bdawg”][font=Arial]**I have been ROM for a while now and finally got them to activate my account here.

Thank you LMB for making this playbook and providing the info. I have not used the 3RStimax program yet, but more and more after using Xactimate I am about ready to jump ship. Our company hired a former adjuster to do roof inspections and claim writeups last year - he had his own pricing program in Excel. Many insurance companies rejected his estimates, so he went back to using Xactimate. I am hoping this won’t be an issue in the future.**[/quote]

[/font][/quote]

**AD - I felt like I was hitting a brick wall and stumbled upon this web site. I liked what I was reading and decided to contact LMB concerning his playbook. He told me it won’t happen over-nite, but little by little I would gain knowledge and confidence dealing with P&Cs. I have gained confidence while learning how to talk to the adjusters. The adjuster rebuttals are awesome! I have applied these and have seen some things turn around in getting more items approved on the claims. The section where he talks about the bad faith practices of P&Cs was good info. The recover and ins. hoax links were informative as well. His knowledge concerning tortious interference was helpful. After reading about that, I experienced it a couple of times personally. More and more I am convinced that we need to ditch Xactimate and go with a different price list - possibly 3RStimax. It will probably be a fight at first, but well worth it!

It is important to educate the homeowner as there will be a fight on many of the claims with some delays. The P&Cs hope they can stall long enough so that the homeowner gets worried or impatient and demand their roof gets installed quickly. These adjusters are highly trained and polished and know how to get to the homeowners. This will be a learning process for the salesmen. We used to always install the roofs first, then supplement. The P&Cs hate that and often there would be a brick wall when we would turn in our supplements after the fact. Now we do our writeups first, get an agreement and then begin the work. I haven’t closed too many files yet, but the ones I have closed have been for an avg. of about $3,500.00 higher per claim. Being detailed oriented also helps when scoping the damage. Personally I would do my inspection, get a materials list while on the roof, take plenty of closeup pics, then I would load my pics on my Ipad and then do my presentation. Trying to show pics on my cell phone was not a good method IMO. I would always get proper measurements on gutters/downspouts and fence damage. The P&Cs almost always short the homeowner in those two categories. My goal is always to make sure the homeowner gets what he/she deserves on the ins. claim. In a nutshell the playbook and related documents have helped us become a better GC IMO.**

[quote=“ALLTEXRoofing”]I have purchased the program.

I think it helped me to understand more about how to think about or approach a claim.

Having been a contractor, Insurance adjuster and a restoration contractor for many years I did find that I had experienced many of situations described in the program. However, there is a lot of common sense information that can bring a person who is fairly new to the industry up to speed in just a few hours. I believe the program combined with much of my reading from CatContracor on a previous website he had and the information shared on this site have afforded me a much better position when dealing with claims. All one must do to find injustice is open their eyes. If the program has taught me one thing it is to ask for what you need to do the job correctly.

How many of you have been paid to magnitize and rake the yard? I have[/quote]

Ray, any brick chimney take downs and rebuild yet?

[/font]

You are welcome, and thank you for your order. Re: 3RStimax (originally entitled 3RS MAXtimate - ISO, Inc./Xactware, apparently so threatend by the program that they actually hijacked part of the name (Maxtimate) and registered it as a domain name owned by them in May of 2011). Far too many contractors operate under the misperception and the myth that XM8 in particular is the “industry standard” for estimating ins repair work and must be utilized when submitting repair pricing quotes to P&C ins co’s. My take, as always, is that, while XM8 and similar may be the P&C insurance industry standard, it is not, has never been and will never be the construction industry standard. I’m not the least bit interested in some P&C employee telling me how to submit my repair quotes or how I should price my work.

Some contractors, such as AD who can put together one of the best looking and effective XM8 estimates I’ve ever seen, prefer XM8 and I respect his/their preference. For myself however, my rebellious, non-conformist mindset - combined with a highly refined BS detector, cause me to take a different approach, one that has never resulted in any of my estimates being rejected - including the latest one I put together for a local contractor who needed some help on this relatively recent claim:

Recently, a local 3RSystems, LLC certified contractor who had been using the “industry standard” estimating program asked me to help him on a roofing and siding claim. The first thing I suggested he do is set aside that program that he thought he had to use and instead, figure his quote on 3RStimax™. In order to help him better understand, in its simplicity, the power and effectiveness of 3RStimax™, I agreed to handle the estimating for him. The insurance company had originally offered $23,500 for the job. I submitted my 3RStimax™ quote at full RTA. The claim rep emailed me back saying they would pay no more than the original $23,500 - then did pay more, then refused to pay O&P (100%) - then did pay O&P at 100%, then refused to pay any more, then did pay substantially more - for a total job price of $35,700! Paid in full with full O&P!

No pictures, no addl docs, no Eagleview or Pictometry, no CAD drawings, etc. Just the 3RStimax!

My feeling on the subject… burcos.com/tough.htm My take anyway and while it may appear somewhat to overtly combative (as if ins adjusters in general are not), it’s always been effective and profitable. AND, many of the adjusters I came across over time, knowing my approach, were much more respectful, were much easier to work with and typically paid far better.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]In the past six months, I have seen the majority of the insurance adjusters modify their scoping practices/methods in a number of different areas relating to roofing. They used to apply the waste % to the replace portion of steep, steep>, steep>> and high. In general, this is no longer done, they simply use the remove number for both with no waste applied. They all seem to want to group more and more into the waste number and are stuck on the traditional 10% waste for gables, 15% for hips regardless of the complexity and number of slopes.

I went online with Xactimate Support last week to attempt to discuss this. No surprise, the tech support person couldn’t answer questions like this but provided me with a free direct call support session to inquire further. I was eventually passed over to someone in pricing at Xactimate. He promised to follow up with pricing management at Xactimate. Frankly, I doubt that but you never know. I did manage to get his email address however and sent a follow up email as shown below.

For those of you who do insurance work and/or rely on Xactimate, these are issues that impact us all. I would propose that all of you contact Xactimate to inquire about these same issues. It is more likely that Xactimate would respond should the volume of inquiries be great enough to get their attention and force action.

Following is the body of the email I sent to the Xactimate pricing person:

I was wondering how you are coming on the subjects we spoke about last week? I have also condensed my inquiry into some specific questions as shown below, including explanation for those. I believe these are quite relevant to understand in order to properly scope a roof replacement.

1. Does Xactimate roof pricing reflect the fact that the majority of the manufacturers only supply 98.4 square feet of material per square? That’s right, a square isn’t a square. What this means is that for every 20.8 squares, an additional bundle has to be purchased. This would affect the price by 1.6%.
  2. Does the remove portion of roofing (RFG 240 -) include the cost for removing and disposing of starter, hip/ridge cap, valley layer, lo profile vents (turtle type), pipe jack boots, valley metal or ridge vent? Many insurance companies will only pay for the replace portion of vents, for example, stating the removal is grouped in with the shingle removal. The description for shingle removal doesn’t reflect this, what is fact? As relates to starter, hip/ridge cap and the layer of shingles under a valley, this is rather significant, 10 to 15% of the roof amount.
  3. When pricing a roof replacement, what is considered to be included in waste?
  4. When pricing a roof window flashing kit, what data is utilized? The description states material cost and labor included. In the areas we serve, this price often doesn’t cover the material cost itself much less the labor required to install it. I can provide receipts or pricing proof, just check a velux price sheet.
  5. How does Xactimate plan to address the new warranties being utilized by major shingle manufacturers? In case you’re not aware, GAF and Owens Corning have changed the warranty on their 30 Year Dimensional Shingles to Lifetime. They did not however make any physical changes to the product. People who are getting a roof replacement who had previously purchase a shingle with a lifetime warranty would be getting severely short changed by getting it replaced with these new warranties by GAF and OC. It is highly likely the remainder of the shingle industry will follow this lead soon.
  6. When calculating the remove/replace for steep, steep>, steep>> and high, it was always customary to apply the waste percentage to the replace number. I assume this is why Xactimate automatically breaks this into two line items. In the past 6 months, insurance companies have generally quit applying the waste factor to the replace portion of these charges. This makes no sense whatsoever to me. The question though is how is Xactimate pricing the replace number? At present, it should be weighting this price with the additional cost due to waste as the waste % is not being applied.

Again, per our conversation, I feel it is the responsibility of Xactimate to explain in some detail the descriptions for the pricing of the individual line items. This pricing is supposed to reflect market conditions but cannot have much validity if there is extreme variance in how the numbers are in fact used in the scoping of jobs/repairs. It is my opinion this ambiguity servers no one and in fact could potentially undermine the justification for utilizing Xactimate as the STANDARD for insurance claims.

I look forward to your prompt response on these maters.

Thank you.[/quote]

I’m not sure why the waste has not been added to the estimates. I work for State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, and citizens of Florida. And any estimate that I have written over the last year, it has been included. My best guess is you have encountered several new adjusters. As the field has been saturated with new adjusters.

It depends on the size of the tarp!

@Authentic_Dad
Did you ever end up getting a response from Xactimate answering your questions?

This thread is 4 years old. I’ve gotten a lot of answers from xactimate but not every one I ever wanted.

I understand. I am in the middle of roughly 15 supplements, all with adjustments pertaining to those exact questions. Would you be so kind as to either share what you received back or to point me to maybe a more recent article/thread that I haven’t noticed where this topic was discussed? Any consideration is much appreciated. Thanks.

Search here. I wrote several detailed posts on supplementing a few years ago.

@Authentic_Dad

Search where?

You said you were looking for help with supplements. So search this site on the topic of supplements.