I Need Your Opinions!

Just to let you know, the bid I got with a five star Certainteed warranty, for the Landmark 30 year was $13,300 and the Hattaras was $15,200. This bid is for everything including tear-off, plywood, two new skylights, etc. A premium shingle was not that much more.

I am once again asking for your opinions on two things. Pricing does not matter to me…that is not what I am after.

1. This installer wants to install two Air-Vent Solar Powered Roof-Mounted Attic Vents to meet Certainteed requirements and to obtain maximum roof ventilation AND replace the existing one-way flapper vents with new RVC-4 vents and replace the existing utility vents with an all new RVO-38 vent.

What are your opinions on the solar powered attic vents? Would electric Air-Vents be better? How likely would the solar powered vents be to fail in a few years and have to be replaced?

1. This installer is not going to use Wintergard; it is not required by Certainteed. We live in the Pacific NW where it rains a lot, and maybe once a year we get snow or an ice storm, but things thaw in a day or two. He will use 30 lb Certainteed approved felt and install all new 26 gauge “W” valley metal in all valley areas. What are your opinions?

Right now, I am wanting to be sure that I am getting proper installation and ventilation so my warranty will be good if I ever need it.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Sandy in WA state :slight_smile:

Sounds like he knows what he is doing.
I don’t do too much active venting but when I do I use the electric power vents with a humidistat.
I haven’t heard anything bad about the solar variety.

The major problems with the solar ones is in the winter when there is no sun for 2 or 3 days they do not work. There life cycle has not been proven as of yet. I would stay away from solar power but hey what do i know. No sun no work. Dont like that program. Condinsation can build up over night and cover the attic in water. I would go with a powered vent if thats what you are looking for. Also make sure he is installing the correct number of soffit vents, or you have the correct ammount or a intake source. WIthout it the powered fans WILL burn out before they are supposed to. In like 5 or 6 years.

Personally, I don’t like the exposed W valleys. More chance for water penetrations if you only have felt & valley vs. felt, valley AND shingles. If that’s the look you are after (exposed valley) then get the decking under the valley metal laid in with an Ice & Water shield - ALL the way.

I would also ask about getting Ice & Water products installed in areas that are common for rotting:

The top of ridges on both hip & gable roofs, base of hips (on the tips), corners of gables (again, the tips), alongside any funky flashing details, around corners if you have some.

Those aren’t really required, but make a good choice if you’re looking for a really “bulletproof” kind of over the top installation. There shouldn’t really be any extra cost for doing any of this & it is also adviseable to actually WATCH to see if they put this in. A lot goes on when you’re not looking.

I think, the solar vents it`s ok. When in summer is warm, shining the sun and the attic ventilation. In the winter when no sun, is the nature ventilation suffice. Besides is the consume from a power little.

In winter when the sun is not out the condinstation will build in the attic and then rain inside the home if there is not proper insulation and 9 out of 10 homes do not have the required amount anyway.

Ventilation is there to relieve temperature PLUS humidity as GTP pointed out.

I have seen 1st hand, many instances, where there is a tropical rain forest effect, just continually dripping on the kraft paper of the insulation and rotting it away completely.

Ed

Maybe further North the solar powered units aren’t that effective, but down here in Texas we get a LOT more sun than y’all… so these fans are a good option.

Passive ventilation works at night as well to remove radiant heat and the humidity content as well.

Ed

We in Germany have exclusive passive ventilation and this work good. When this not good in United States is, ok, i have learn at more.