I need some advice

Doing A rubber 45 mill rubber roof in ohio. Weather is tipical for this time of year cold and rainy/snowy. My problem is that my adhesive wont bond to my fiber board. We even had a 45 degree day and we kept the adhesive at 65 degrees the whole time still no bonding, Would I be better off to just instaa 1/4" plywood over my fiberboard and try to ond to that, Or shoud I tent off the roof and run a space heater until Im done or what. If I did switch to the ply could I use roof cement unstead of the contact cement.
The main problem I am having is that even in the few spots that the contact cement does bond I am getting air bubbles that I cant get out. I am almost to the point wher I’m just going to cut my losses and find another option.This I dont want to do b/c then Ill be stuck with 900.00 in rubber and contact cement I’ll never use. plus my profit would be completly gone.
Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that since “you’ll never use” the rubber or cement, that you rarely, if ever, do rubber roofs.

Is this correct?

If you’re honest about your experience level we might be able to help you better.

You cant use “roof” cement with rubber. Any thing asphault based (tar) cant contact the rubber as there will be a reaction.

You need to use a paint roller and put a thin “even” coat on the fiberboard. You need to put on a thin even coat on the back of the rubber at the same time. Wait for them both to dry to the touch. Then gently with 2 guys roll it into place. Then use a wide broom to press it into place firmly. Should work in the enviroment you are describing. We did 2 of them last week in NY with same weather conditions.

Are you using “rubber” bonding adhesive? Did you get it at a lumberyard or a roofing supplier?

Is it spread thin? Are you waiting an hour or whatever is necessary for it to dry to the touch? Is there any sunlight to help>

This time of year a water base bonding adhesive doe’s not work so good. The yellow bonding adhesive works the best. The air pockets that you mentioned are due to the adhesive not flashing off properly. It will take longer than usual for this to happen. As for roof cement or any other asphalt product. It will separate from the rubber not adhering to it. Over time the areas that came in con-tacked with the asphalt will become brittle and crack. Creating a failed roof system.

This time of year a water base bonding adhesive doe’s not work so good. The yellow bonding adhesive works the best. The air pockets that you mentioned are due to the adhesive not flashing off properly. It will take longer than usual for this to happen. As for roof cement or any other asphalt product. It will separate from the rubber not adhering to it. Over time the areas that came in con-tacked with the asphalt will become brittle and crack. Creating a failed roof system.

All the rubber that we have ever done, has been smaller jobs, such as flat roofs over porches 10x10. 80% of our roofs are shingles. the other 20% are slate/metal devivded equally. The only reason I even took the job was because it was on our local hardware store, and the owner was in a tough spot. No one around here really does alot of rubber except for the larger companies which he couldnt aford. plus people are always asking him who he would use to do a certain job.So I thought it could also work in my favor, free advertisement. As far As the bonding adhesive goes It come from menards. My supplier didnt have any in stock, and said it could take some time to get, my mistake I know. Thanks for all of the advice, anything else would be helpfull.Thanks again and happy thanksgiving.

A rubber roof can be the best roof or the worst depending on if you know what your doing. You can not just wing it.

I just wanted to add that I’ve used latex adhesive before and it didn’t take me 5 minutes before I realized I didn’t like it. We use adhesive from a rubber roofing sales company. Apply it to both the rubber and the fiber board with a roller(thin coat), wait for it to tack up, and let the rubber roll onto the mat slowly. Try not to create wrinkles while laying it down. If you get one or two wrinkles while laying it down, personnaly, I don’t think its worth the effort to pull the rubber back up to fix them. After it’s laid, brush the rubber down with a broom without stretching the rubber and it should lay flat.

I hope you can salvage what you started. Learning experiences are tough, but it makes you wiser in the long run.

we up in the north east ,this time of year use a warterbase adhesive we dont seem to have to many problems with it i like to keep a hair dryer on hand for flashing details. typicly this time of year we only glue 9:ooam-3:00pm ;find its not cost effective waiting for yellow to dry so we go with waterbased on most jobs november to april. if we have to use yellow glue webroom and hit it with 80 lb roller. goodluck

tintag doesn’t know what hes talking about never use water based glue

ridgevent!!! ridgevent AKA “PUDDLES” i know its you.your never around when its leaking’ you just left. you must be a250 sq guy. when you learn to do it right we might let you in the 400 club. till then wont be seeing you . you would have just left. oh gotta go another repair call. thanks" PUDDLES AKA squeeky leaks AKA leaky vent.

oh
geeze.

gweedo.