I have a Leak

ok so i have a small section of roof, that is NOT conected to the main roof of the house, the section is maybe 3 ft by 5 ft, it’s got a slight slope and is over a bay window. it is currently not shingled, there is a black hard material over the roof that is cracked in places and looks worn, and has some give like it’s lose if i push in places. it does NOT feel like there is any give in the boards underneath and there is no water damage inside other than a few drips that i just noticed yesterday. how do i fix this problem before serious damage occurs? also there is a small lip? at the edge, where water pools, is this normal how do i shingle if that is indeed the solution an area like that?

thanks so much

you must tear off existing roof.If the pitch off your roof is less than a 3/12 I would use ice and water sheild and a modified roll roofing material called peel and stick;very easy to use and it comes in differant colors.MOST INPORTANTANT;this is good stuff too.If your pitch is better than a 3/12 than I would still use the ice and water sheild and roof over it matching the shingles the best I could.

ok so i’m posting a picture here in a minute thanks for the quick relpy, my uncle is comign tuesday if he shows up to take a look, and i have shingles still in the package that were in the house when i bought it and were used on the rest of the roof so they will match and i would love to use them, how do i know if they are still good, can they go bad? what’s this ice stuff you are refering to, where do i get it, ect?

here’s a picture of what is up there, don’t i need a metal piece at the edge?

yet another picture, this shoes the dip on the edge i was talking about a little better, and these two pictures really do shoe the entire roof it’s that small an area.

wait i had a dumb attack and this might be a silly question but this house is 112 years old, is this valley i’m so worried about nothing more than an old school gutter? and if so would i just shingle up to it? this is new to me but if it’s just a matter of removing what is there and some underlay and then shingles i’m more than ready to do this.

Nice job posting the pics. This looks like something I would have to be standing on a ladder looking at it to give you some advice. No run of the mill answer for that one.

Hi,

You can not use shingles on that roof.

Hire a professional roofer. Someone who knows flat roofs.

well ok so you all are going to think only a woman, and that’s fine, but it is indeed a gutter of sorts anyways there are holes on the corners that were pulled by the pretty vines i have growing, so i took care of that and if noting else hope it solves the issue on a temp basis.hopeing to at least get someone with a clue up there to tell me to just shingle it, the rest of the roof is shingled, new when i bought the house two years ago, and it all just goes up to that lip and i’ve had no other troubles, but for poorly done flashing at my chimney that i fixed the year i moved in when my ceiling started coming down. the roof was done by the previous owners and not prof. so i’m starting to think they just didn’t bother to finish the job on this small section. any solutions or ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

No one said anything about a woman :slight_smile: . Someone put flat roofing there in the past. Maybe they were on to something.

Purchase a 5 gallon bucket of Topcoat FlexSeal, spread the Flexseal over the whole roof and you’ll be fine.

You have 2 choices, either recoat the roof or tearoff the old roof and put a new flat roof on it. Preferrably EPDM.

BTW, the Topcoat is about $280 a bucket.

Hi,

So you are a little prejudice.

One of my foreman is a woman.

You can not use shingles on that roof.

Hire a professional roofer. Someone who knows flat roofs.

you need some sort of a flat roof system

??? but it isn’t flat, i took the pictures from my window which is right above the roof section, it isn’t steeply pitch and i have no idea how much pitch you need for shingles to be used but it is more of a pitch than it is flat.

on the other hand though if that is what is there and why it isn’t shingled to begin with it seems like it would be fairly simple.

Whoa, slow down.

You have something like a bay window with a built in gutter and a metal roof. I will try to find a better picture.

Something like this?

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/9625-2/Bay+window+roof.jpg

Yours has been coated with tar.

Leaking at the outside edge? Could be holes rusted through if the metal is tin. Could be cracked joints if the metal is copper.
Leaking at the back wall? Possibly the wall flashing or window flashing.
My guess is rusted tin roof that needs replacing and you should hire a professional for that. If cost is a big factor, then scraping and coating will get you by for a while.
No shingles.

SO close, but not metal, not even metal gutters hence my initial confusion. it has rolled asphalt on it maybe? and that goes over the gutter area as well, the leak is smack dab in the middle of the ceiling over the bay window. and whatever product is up ther now is up under the sideing on the house and extends over the lip of the gutter and is stapeled there. i have no idea how it is attached on the rest of the roof. it is seriously deteriorated, it has cracks and feels like it isn’t attached to the wood underneath in places as well, no holes yet and the leak isn’t bad, we get bubbles of water and the every so often drip.

i’m following the no shingles concept after more research seems that the slope isn’t great enough for shingles to work? correct? i’ve read rolled asphalt isn’t good for much past 5 years i do not want to do rubber, i don’t plan on being here much more than a couple more years.

[quote=“pentaluda0878”]??? but it isn’t flat, i took the pictures from my window which is right above the roof section, it isn’t steeply pitch and i have no idea how much pitch you need for shingles to be used but it is more of a pitch than it is flat.

on the other hand though if that is what is there and why it isn’t shingled to begin with it seems like it would be fairly simple.[/quote]

Flat is a relative term here.
Minimum slope for a flat roof is 1/4" per foot if I am not mistaken.
If your roof has a slope of less than 3/12 we as roofers commonly consider it to be low sloped or flat.
This type of roof requires something other than shingles.
Perhaps you could post a picture that better shows the slope of the roof in question.
It appears to have some type of flat roofing on it now so we assume that it is a flat or low sloped roof.

You have received good advice so far, are you here for a solution or to argue?

i was just confused is all untill further investigation into roofing terminology i wasn’t aware that flat was a relative term, i figured flat was flat, i was wrong and i’m sorry if i appeared argumentative.

which leaves me with a few questions still
first: i have done tar on my mom’s house with her, so would it be possible to tar over what is already there? would this solve the problem, it seems to be a very cheap fix, how long would a fix like that last? ecluding the mess factor, is it easier to tar this than to reaply the rolled roofing?

second: rolled roofing do i need to remove what is there or can i go over the top?

i think everyone is tryin to tell you that you have a flat roof product on your sloped roof.

it looks like a good coating pr gtp,
is the best idea for you.
pull the weeds out first.

gweedo