I am the glue

To all those that responded to when I asked for suggestions on what I should do with my fibromyalgia, thank you. Here’s a story.

After months of a deep self inventory this year, I’ve tried to figure out what I am and where I’m going. It never dawned on me to figure out who I am. Probably because I thought I knew myself so well.

I am a people pleaser with self disgust when I don’t perform to the high standards I set. I am a good roofer that always does his best, though always comes up short by way of ignorance though I try to study my craft hard and I believe myself to be intelligent. I am a young man coming up in the world with what I believe to be an honest and respectable living that one can be proud of.

If I’m your friend, I’d go to the grave instead of you. If you’re unfriendly, I’ll watch you with a skeptical eye from afar. If you’re aggressive towards me, I will go the distance to thwart you rather than be thwarted.

As a roofer, Im far more than a roofer. I make promises. I risk everything to make sure my promises come to fruition. I make sure licenses and insurances are up to date and paid. I make sure the taxes are up to date and paid. I make sure the guys are happy and paid on time. I make sure the job gets finished as scheduled to the best of my capabilities. I make sure the permit is pulled, the contract is in order, the checkbook is balanced, the advertising is paying dividends, the customer is happy, the neighbor is happy, the job is clean, the roof is tight, the specs are on, the calls are answered, the quotes are quoted, hiring, firing… and then, I come home to my wife and kids…

Also, in the 8 hours I spend on the roof, I’m the one that makes sure people aren’t bumping into eachother and aggravated while ripping the roof, lumping shingles, putting them on, cleaning them up, checking others work, helping them to be more efficient, watching that product isnt wasted…

I am an owner operator of a roofing company. If you get a guy like me to do your roof, please be nice to me. I’m doing my best and I answer my phone. Your roof is in good shape. If you get a guy that drops a price in a mailbox you got robbed regardless of price.

After further opinions, I now don’t believe I have fibromyalgia. It’s a form of depression that doesn’t mean you are suicidal, just that your brain has shut your body down. I feel a lot better now, been taking multi vitamins and doing yoga every morning and everything is so much clearer again. I’m back and I am the glue. Thanks for reading my story :smiley:

Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

My wife swears that yoga will help me feel better but I’m old and stubborn. Besides, I get enough stretching working in cramped spaces behind chimneys and parapet walls. :smiley:

There was an informative article about depression in the last issue of Scientific American magazine.

Good Luck

Good for you S&G. You are finding yourself. The hardest thing in the world is to be honest and true to yourself. Not many do it. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Another thing that helps is relaxation. Find something that you enjoy that relaxes you, could be anything from reading a book to watching a TV show, to walking around the block, mowing the lawn. Listen to Bob Marley!!! that will make you feel all better!!

Keep your head up. :wink:

good to hear you feelin better.
of all those tthings you mentioned you do, non of them except comin home to the wife kids sounded very fun.

i allways tell my freinds to have a hobbie or two.
somethin away from the work and family.
somethin fun to do for yourself.

good luck to ya.

gweedo.

I’ve read numerous replies you’ve posted and you appear to be a stand-up guy with integrity and a sincere interest in doing a job right. Take care of yourself, stay positive and enjoy life, your family and friends. I wish you all the best.

[quote=“G-Tape”]Good for you S&G. You are finding yourself. The hardest thing in the world is to be honest and true to yourself. Not many do it. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Another thing that helps is relaxation. Find something that you enjoy that relaxes you, could be anything from reading a book to watching a TV show, to walking around the block, mowing the lawn. Listen to Bob Marley!!! that will make you feel all better!!

Keep your head up. :wink:[/quote]

Thank you all for those kind words. I really appreciate the sympathy, glad to know that people realize there are sober and honest people with legitimate problems. I know I’ve addressed this as being a me thing, but my real meaning is that it can happen to you. I believe myself to be superhuman and many observers of my work will agree with me. I’m strong enough to be able to handle my self truths though, and strong enough to know that I too make mistakes and/or things happen that I have to deal with. Such is life.

I chose to quote Gtp because he was the first to touch on something. I’m a musical person that didnt take the time to enjoy music in my life anymore and that was also not a good thing for my mental health. We need enjoyment to be able to maintain other facets of our lives. I go the opposite way than bob marley, though I love bob marley, I need to rock with some Led Zeppelin or The Beatles or something else that will uplift my soul and regenerate my spirit.

I always knew that a happy worker is a productive worker, but I let myself become the unhappy worker. Now, that being said, time for some mental healing via Led Zeppelin.

i suggest the “wanton song” played on #11