How to pursue a warranty claim

I am trying to get compensated for what I believe are defective shingles on the 6 year old assisted living I am responsible for. They are IKO 3 tab 25 yr shingles on a 7/12 that are cracking, curling a little, and blowing off. The General contractor has been out and inspected them, he commented on cracking, lack of seal down, and brittleness. He has contacted the distributor and I am waiting to hear back. He also commented that he doesn’t think that guys who roofed the place are still in business although I can’t find anything wrong with their technique.

My question is: What is my next step so that this goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. How do I effectively keep this process moving, without being a jerk or a pest.

Contact the manufacturer directly.

They will send you a box for you to send in samples of the shingles and written instructions on how you or someone else will have to do it.

Usually they want a photo of every elevation, N-S-E-W and also a diagram with measurements and a detailed analysis of the existing intake ventilation and exhaust ventilation.

Then you send that into them for them to review.

Then they deny your warranty because there was not enough ventilation as required.

Thats typical, but if your roof was installed correctly and enough balanced ventilation was added, then you will have a leg to stand on.

Ed

You forgot the part about having to hire an attorney, and needing deep pockets to fight a big company.
:frowning:

I checked the spec book and the shingles meet the spec. Funny how the Architect specified $400 thermostats when $29.95 would have been fine then went ahead and spec’d the cheapest thing available at the local megalumberyard.

I did see a few spots on the roof where partial shingles were used ‘out in the field’. Is this an acceptable way to use up waste?

[quote=“DSLPelican”]I am trying to get compensated for what I believe are defective shingles on the 6 year old assisted living I am responsible for. They are IKO 3 tab 25 yr shingles on a 7/12 that are cracking, curling a little, and blowing off. The General contractor has been out and inspected them, he commented on cracking, lack of seal down, and brittleness. He has contacted the distributor and I am waiting to hear back. He also commented that he doesn’t think that guys who roofed the place are still in business although I can’t find anything wrong with their technique.

My question is: What is my next step so that this goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. How do I effectively keep this process moving, without being a jerk or a pest.[/quote]

Yeah IKO’s do that, especially their 3-tabs.
We all know they do that, we all know they are complete garbage.
We know it isn’t because of ventilation, we know IKO will say it is.
IKO does stand by some of their warranties though.
You may be in luck. :smiley:
I doubt they are going to pay for labor though, that is the biggest part.

Your roofer can do everything exactly right and these shingles still fail.
It probably isn’t the installation.

Being a jerk or a pest is probably the best thing to do.
I for one am rooting for you.

Get a GAF or Certainteed for the new roof.