How short of a piece will you leave on the rake?

When you get to the rake end, how short of a piece will you leave at the end. I have been cutting the second to last piece back a little bit to make sure the last piece is a decent size.

no less than 5 "

In a situation like that I try to use a full piece at the rake and work the short piece just before it. But this can mess up the nailing pattern, so I just nail the tile ends and place the nail centers only when I figure what the pattern will be for the next course. It’s not time efficient, but then I’m a DIYer and I’ll take the time to do these things for my own home.

Hi,

3"

No less than 6" for an asphalt shingle.

We talking 3T’s or a Dimensional?

We talking 3T’s or a Dimensional?

Why would that matter?

In some counties here in Florida, they will red tag the roof unless its more than 12 inches. If you use a one foot piece first,(then a full shingle) your nailing pattern should work out. Most building/roofing inspectors follow what the manufacture says and nowhere on the package does it say install a 6 inch piece or smaller!!! They also have been tagging you if you are using both sides of your dimensional shingle as your starter. (top and bottom)

3T is a lot more flimsy & if you’re cutting to where a thin edge of 3T is all that’s on there, it’s going to dislodge fairly easy.

Not so with a thicker solid line of dimensional.

When I was younger I worked with a few different roofers and each seemed to have their own way of doing the rakes. One in particular would start from both ends of the roof and put his piece in the middle. Another started with 1/2 a shingle and ended with whatever it took. Another would figure out on paper what it would take to have both ends match exzactly.
Generally I start out with a third of a shingle and work my way across and end with a third or more. Sometimes I have to trim the next to last shingle to keep it in the general area.

**"3T is a lot more flimsy & if you’re cutting to where a thin edge of 3T is all that’s on there, it’s going to dislodge fairly easy.

Not so with a thicker solid line of dimensional."**

Ok, true enough but little pieces are still more prone to blow or break off and IMO it makes for a crappy looking rake edge.

Yeah come on! i wouldn’t use less than a 6" peice. Would u want it on your home. I’ve seen guys be lazy and put in a 2" peice. Take the time to cut it back and use a 6" or more peice or cut it a tab back in the case of 3 tab. Expesially on three tab be
cause u don’t want to nail in the water groove if it falls funny on the edge and u have to nail high.

installing a 12-13"piece before the last short shingle at the edge is the way to go–4" is plenty