How much will my roof paper deteriorate w/40 days exp to sun

How much will my 90 lb organic paper deteriorate with 40 days exposed to Florida sun (my fault, not my roofer’s)? My roofer says that tile should have been installed within 30 days. Will the extra 10 days cause premature wear to the paper?

Thanks!

Frank

90 # used to be used as the entire roof covering on the steep 12/12 bungalows in Chicago and have lasted for years.

Is it still flat?

Have any seams lifted up by curling or from the wind?

Has there been any significant granule detachment?

Those answers should reveal the shape it is in, but the roofer is possibly looking at the long term liability, since the delay was not his fault.

Ed

[quote=“FrankD”]How much will my 90 lb organic paper deteriorate with 40 days exposed to Florida sun (my fault, not my roofer’s)? My roofer says that tile should have been installed within 30 days. Will the extra 10 days cause premature wear to the paper?

Thanks!

Frank[/quote]

He is trying to tell you that your underlayment is really messed up. He could easily just "Go with it."
But he /she is trying to do the right thing for you and your roof and his reputation.
I know it cost money. a lot. I know. a lot.

But a tile roof is a leaky roof.
As in the top layer is just for looks.
So if the underlayment isnt perfect. Its leaky.
How many years are you wanting out of this roof?

I trust a tile roof less than i trust any other roof.
Now the metal roofing made to look like tile. I like that. I haven’t had a chance to install that yet, but i want to.

People want to think a tile roof is a “lifetime”.
In florida It seems they dont last 20 years.
And you spent all that money.
You are paying for looks with a tile roof.
The tile will be there for you
while the wood rots underneath.

Is the roof already loaded? Is the 1x2 installed?

should be allrite.

gweedo

During the “epic roof tile crisis” of 2004-2005 here in SW Florida, It was not uncommon to have an exposed tile underlayment for up to six months. Concerned homeowners would request manufactures rep make a field visit to recommend any spot repairs needed in order for the warranty to be in effect. This was done in writing. With that said I think 40 days should be all right.

James

You’ll be fine, a few extra days in the sun won’t hurt a bit.
Rooflover. Tile roofs are premium roofs and will outlast anything else bar slate.
Go to any European city and you will see roofs that are hundreds of years old 6x10 clay tile that function perfectly with NO waterproof underlayment at all. As evidence of their functionality note the fact that asphalt shingles are unheard of there.
Single, and double Roman, Redland 49s, they are all installed over a rafter and baton system with no plywood decking and a “slaters felt” that is perforated like a tea bag to allow the roof to breath.
Desparaging the tile industry in the way you just did is not only detrimental to them, but to us also.