How do I seal this?

This isn’t my house. I found this picture on the net. I was wondering how I would seal under the soffit overhang. I am trying to run rolled ridge vent across the entire roof. Should I stop the ridge vent 18" from this point? I’m really confused on how I should finish of the ridge cap shingles.

You should always run 1-2 ridge cap under the ends of where your ridge vent will terminate. Then lay the vent, then lay your ridge cap along the top of the length of the vent.

The 1-2 shingles are so any water that might get in the ends of the vent does not make it into the house. The area you show will also have step flashings up the wall. So just butt your vent and your ridge cap to the wall under the soffit overhang. There is no need for further “sealing”.

*This is assuming the back of that pic looks like the front. If not then the area where the lower deck and upper soffit meet should have flashing anyways. To not have this you would need to caulk. Now your whole roof is held together with caulk. Not cool!

Hi,

Run your ridge vent against to your fascia.

Start your capping there. The part of the cap on the back of the roof will go under the shingle. This will make the back waterproof.

Cut the part on the front of the cap so it can lay in place. Cut about 3-4". Fold this up out of the way and under the shingle like the back. as it is part of the back now. I will only use one layer of a double laminate cap so it lays flatter. The front has step flashing up to the ridge so this will not leak either.

This will be clearer when you are on the roof doing it. Hard to put into words.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]You should always run 1-2 ridge cap under the ends of where your ridge vent will terminate. Then lay the vent, then lay your ridge cap along the top of the length of the vent.

The 1-2 shingles are so any water that might get in the ends of the vent does not make it into the house. The area you show will also have step flashings up the wall. So just butt your vent and your ridge cap to the wall under the soffit overhang. There is no need for further “sealing”.

*This is assuming the back of that pic looks like the front. If not then the area where the lower deck and upper soffit meet should have flashing anyways. To not have this you would need to caulk. Now your whole roof is held together with caulk. Not cool![/quote]

I think I posted another bad picture. The lower part of the roof rises on the back of the house. I guess it is almost like a reverse jog.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Run your ridge vent against to your fascia.

Start your capping there. The part of the cap on the back of the roof will go under the shingle. This will make the back waterproof.

Cut the part on the front of the cap so it can lay in place. Cut about 3-4". Fold this up out of the way and under the shingle like the back. as it is part of the back now. I will only use one layer of a double laminate cap so it lays flatter. The front has step flashing up to the ridge so this will not leak either.

This will be clearer when you are on the roof doing it. Hard to put into words.[/quote]

I think I get what your saying. I already started the ridge caps at the other end of the gable. I didn’t put any ridge caps underneath the vent where it started like Tar Monkey said to. I didn’t even think about it. I do have a double overlap from the shingles that extends about 18inches in from the end of the roof. I’m hoping this will do the trick. Otherwise I can pull the ends up and add some extra ridge caps.

Hi,

You will be fine with the shingles running over the ridge.

You can still do the ridge cap the way I said. It is easier if you start there. That is all.