I am a homeowner and is re-roofing my home. This is my first time doing a roof.
I have and still am researching about re-roofing and found your website. Thank you for the information on this site and your willingness to share.
- Property is in San Jose, CA (Bay Area) so no snow but home has frost near eaves. Some neighbor homes have frost too.
- It has a hip roof that is a basic U-shape with two gables, 4/12 pitch (but not all the pitch are the same; some rafters I measure comes out about 4.5/12 pitch).
- Roof area is about 33 squares.
- There are box vents inside the U-shape as the outside of the U-shape faces the streets the home is on a corner lot.
- Open eave with exhaust box vents and intake eave vents.
- Current roof is asphalt 3-tab shingles over wood shake or wood shingles, under the wood shingles are skip sheating.
I am doing the roof a few sections at a time. I wanted to re-roof one section at a time but I couldn’t figure out how to do that at the valleys. So I have started on the inside of the U-shape where there is a valley.
I am removing the old roof, fascia, repair rafter tails, repair termite damage, vacuum out old cellulose insulation, disinfect and deordorize because of rodent damage, use termite foam where there are active drywood termites, treat attic with Bora Care as a termite preventative, air seal the open part of attic, fix ducting if needed, reroute exhaust vents if needed, (add one or two ridgid Velux sun tunnels), put down new fiberglass insulation batts, replace old and add new eave vents, put down 1/2 in OSB radiant barrier.
At the end of the work day, I tarped the areas and weighed them down with sand bags.
I have not put up new fascia and will add gutters all around. Currently there are gutters only on part of the eaves.
I have three sections of the roof that are opened, three sections has OSB put down, working on nailing other two sections now.
I have many questions but let me start with these:
- I am using half-dormer vents. I have calculated the ventilation using the 150 rule. Can I install half-dormer vents on both sides of the hip roof to increase air exhaust? If I do, will that cause a short circuit in the venting?
- Some gaps between the OSB sheating are up to 1/2 in wide (one gap is up to 5/8" wide). Will this be a problem? Should I cover the wide gaps with a 6 in strip of peel and stick? Your advice?
- For drip edge with kickout, would you use 110 deg or the regular 90 deg? which bend angle is better? I am planning to use 3" x 3" (or 3x2) with kickout.
- I renailed the skip sheating with one nail over rafters because some of them were loose with 8D common nails by hand and with 2 3/8" x .113" smooth sank if using framing gun. I nailed the 1/2 " (15/32) radiant barrier with 12D sinkers if by hand and with 3" x .131" if using framing gun. Is what I am doing here correct? Do I need to change anything here?
If this is better done in private messages, let me know and I can send you my email address.
Thank you in advance for your time and help.