Home Depot Roofing Estimate

Yesterday I had Home Depot come over to give me a quote on re-roofing my 15 square 6/12 pitch hipped gable roof. The quote included tear-off of three layers, permits, dumpster, gutters, 4 downspouts and choose of 3 different GAF Shingles. The house itself is 19’x44’. I have one chimney, two skylights and one dormer. For the slatelines they wanted $11,408.00, for 25-30yr shingle $11,600 something & for the life time architectual shingle they wanted $12,488.00. I wondered how they came up this quote, which was broken down for me: The Lifetime was
About $8,000.00+ for just the roof, enderlayment and a ridge vent
About $2,104.00 for seamless gutters
$1000.00+ for downspouts &
$1,200.00 for a dumpster.

I knew from the get they wouldn’t be cheap but $600.00 a square is pretty ridiculous in my opinion seeing that they get a huge discount on their bulk material orders and pay their subs nothing for doing all the work.

What do you think this job should cost?

[quote=“ln1979”]Yesterday I had Home Depot come over to give me a quote on re-roofing my 15 square 6/12 pitch hipped gable roof. The quote included tear-off of three layers, permits, dumpster, gutters, 4 downspouts and choose of 3 different GAF Shingles. The house itself is 19’x44’. I have one chimney, two skylights and one dormer. For the slatelines they wanted $11,408.00, for 25-30yr shingle $11,600 something & for the life time architectual shingle they wanted $12,488.00. I wondered how they came up this quote, which was broken down for me: The Lifetime was
About $8,000.00+ for just the roof, enderlayment and a ridge vent
About $2,104.00 for seamless gutters
$1000.00+ for downspouts &
$1,200.00 for a dumpster.

I knew from the get they wouldn’t be cheap but $600.00 a square is pretty ridiculous in my opinion seeing that they get a huge discount on their bulk material orders and pay their subs nothing for doing all the work.

What do you think this job should cost?[/quote]

I probably would’ve charged $400 to $450 a square. Home Depot doesnt pay their subs too bad from what I hear.

Thanks for the input.

You stated $400 to $450.00 a square, is that only the roof or the roof and drainage?

In general Home depot has insaine estimates. Depending on where abouts you are you can get a quality job done to your home starting around 250 a square and up. Some are more some are less. Going with the highest is not always good same as going with the lowest. And that is just for the roof. The other extras will cost more. A 15 square home at a 6/12 pitch I would be somewhere in the 4900 dollar range. Replacement of the skylights would be around 800 dollars each. That is if they are bad. Gutters would be around 1300 but thats a guess without seeing the home it is hard to say. If you have any questions on helping you find a contractor or understanding there contract feel free to drop us a line or me one. Good luck in your quest for a new roof. Rememeber it is an investment in your home and everything in it.

Hi,

It always amazes me that people say they know this about Home Depot. Then call them anyway???

gtp1003 you missed the 3 layer tear-off.

If you had called me today. First I would have told you I was booked till April. I could get to you in May. I would be around $600 to.

If you did not replace the skylights you would have to sign a waiver that any leak within 3’ of the skylight is not covered under my warranty.

I did not miss the 3 layer tear off. 600 a square is well a bit much but if thats what you charge by all means. At over 325 a square i think im charging enough in an area that averages less than 200.

I am in the ballpark of 275 a square I believe. I that would include Certainteed shingles installed by a shingle master company so I believe that my price is fair. I have heard alot of complaints about home depot’s services. I myself tried to register with them and they wanted me to have about 2 million of liability insurance and I am don’t carry that much insurance I think 1 million is sufficient.

Hi gtp1003,

In your first quote you said $250. Then you raised it to $325.

If you have three roofs on, I charge to tear three off. What ever I get for one x three.

What i said if you bothered to read the whole sentence was

If you own your own roofing company why would you sub with Home Depot of all places?

Not that I’m a gutter man but paying nearly $17/ft of gutter and $8 of spout seems outragous… wonder where these rates are being achieved… might want to relocate.

Double that if there is solder on gal;vanized gutter, triple it if you want copper.

Double that if there is solder on gal;vanized gutter, triple it if you want copper.

These prices were quoted to me in NYC, the brough of The Bronx.

What is the going rate for gutters and downspouts?

[quote=“ln1979”]These prices were quoted to me in NYC, the brough of The Bronx.

What is the going rate for gutters and downspouts?[/quote]

well…for one any work done in the NYC area you have to triple the cost of workmans comp !!! thats how new york state works.

its winter time and work is scarce around me.
so im currently doin one, 2 layer shingle off, torch / 5v crimp back, for 250 a sq. turn key.

times are tough ,
gotta get low.
gotta eat.

gweedo.

$1,200 seems pretty high for a 40 yard dumpster which would have plenty of room left over after the project.

I could dump the debris from the job for under $100.

In my area gutters run around $6-7 a foot.

I’d bid the job at around $500 a square minumal. Getting $400 ish on one layer insurance jobs gets you spoiled.

Heard Lowe’s starts at $170 a aquare for tear offs.