Historic standing seam metal roof

Just look at the wrapper on the roll. As for TCS, we never bothered with it after seeing it used as flashing on a slate roof. It corroded into dust in less than 40 years. I have some TCS valley I removed from a house 40 years old. It had been patched many times, over and over starting in it’s 20th year.

I notice in your specs that the sleepers are above the felted and I&W deck. It seems the architect isn’t sure of it either.
The only reason I use felt under copper is to soften the rough spots a bit. It keeps getting spec’d under steel, but I have many steel roofs over wood deck too. Never a leak. With metal, it will always come down to the weakest link; workmanship.

I had forgotten. Last time I talked to them about doing one like you’re describing, they said the airspace between the felts and the metal was to be 1 1/2". They said 3/4" was not enough for proper airflow. So I ran 1x4’s vertically at 12-16"oc, then 1x4’s horizonally every 4-6"oc. I ran them 1 1/2" past the rakes and closed the rakes with DE. ou can look up behind the DE and see the metal. Still looks like new.

Look here: http://rcs.si-sv2628.com/photo_album_list.asp?u=30

Select 'Metal Details" album. A selection going back 20 years of tin and steel. Some were turn key, some repairs. All on wood decks.

“Limitations: All Terne II surfaces must drain and must be painted. Terne II to be applied on a wood deck. Wood treatments that are hygroscopic or chemically treated, such as ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary), must not be used for decking under Terne II. Minimum 1/2” plywood to be specified. If sheathing boards are specified, maximum 2" spacing between boards. Roof deck must be smooth, clean, dry and must remain dry after application. Rosin sized paper is the only permissible underlay on a Terne II application. Do not apply roofing felts under Terne II."
http://www.follansbeeroofing.com/products/TerneII_specs.aspx

I looked it up for you. There has never been aneed for felts under ANY properly applied metal roof. It’s myth and a feel good thing for those unsure of their abilities.JMHO

I find it strange that in their Literature…under TCS II…they recommend 15# felt and the TE II doesn’t.
Either way…I found the loop hole that I need to
help the roofer avoid the cost of removal of the felts and membranes
If the engineer switched to CE II, then some changes will have to be made. Bad thing is…Now I have to wait until Monday to find out if this needs to be changed. The reason for the original Grace Ice & Water Shield underlayment application was because owners wanted to be able to continue working inside, and obtain necessary inspections without butting into any inspection clauses concerning “completed roof” installation required before continuation of work, while they waited for a special ordered color.
I didn’t even know that Lamarite would do that.
At that time, the product being installed was going to be Lamarite “Slate”. After investigation of their
product liability and warranty issues, the scope of work began looking at standing seam. I guess the problem with the Lamarite/ flashing warranty liability would have been divided between the two products ( slate shingles, and flashing) and two manufacturers. The owners wanted an iron-clad liability responsibility and when it came right down to it…Follansbee offered the best warranty in the industry. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of their warranty being used for residential work. But I’m not the consulting engineer so I can either follow their orders or walk away.

I think you guys are talking about two different materials.
TC II and TCS steel and stainless steel

we are talking about two different products, just the same manufacturer. I was sweating it out a bit because the job already was covered with Bithuthene and i didn’t want to breach any warranty specifications.

David