HELP ! Water dripping from soffit

Ok I know I will need to post a pic to explain this but I have a ranch with a hip roof and an addition coming off the back perpendicular to the main roof.

This forms a valley on each side. The addition roof runs under the upper roof soffit. Where the upper roof soffit meets the freeze board on the house I noticed water dripping off the j channel that holds the soffit up.

The valley had a bunch of junk off the trees in it so I brushed it clean but I dent think this would matter anyway. I don’t see any nail pops or gaps in the valley shingles. It is a closed valley where the shingles overlap on one side.

Now where the valley ends and extends slightly there is a gap where the upper roof drip edge almost touches the addition roof. Could water run slightly under there and get into the soffit and follow the soffit to the freeze board and drip out ??

I made a diverter last year to stop the water from running back toward the house and im thinking I should GeoCell caulk up under the valley over hang so water cannot get behind there.

When they did the roof they ran ice and water across the valley up 6 ft and 90 pound too. Again I see NO damage to the shingles or valley and the roof is 10 yrs old Archect shingles.

I will post pics if someone tells me an easy way ,

Thanks fellas I am suer paranoid that water may get into the house.

you may not need our help.

gweedo.

Why do you say that ??

Gweedo, what do you mean I may not need your help ?? :roll:

No ideas ???

Were the shingle tips clipped?

Pics are easy. Upload them to a site on the web and link to them. Like this.

Or, just upload them to this site. Click on the ‘IM’ tag above the reply box.http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/images/photo_albums/30/135/100_1213.JPG

The thought of using caulk gives me the willies!

not sure I KNOW WHAT clipped means ?? The shinges all seem normal.

I was just thinking of clear Geocel sealant along where the facia fom he uper roof touches the lower shingle. In case the water is dripping off the end of the valley shingle and getting into the soffit there.

I just wonder if the water is hitting my diverter pc I made and a little is getting into the soffit. Its not pouring out just dripping off the J a little.

I cant believe the roof itself is leaking as there is ice and water as well as 90 pound in the valley and again I see NO damage to shingles, no nail pops, no bae spots etc

Whacha think ??

[quote=“cvcman”]not sure I KNOW WHAT clipped means ?? The shinges all seem normal.

I was just thinking of clear Geocel sealant along where the facia fom he uper roof touches the lower shingle. In case the water is dripping off the end of the valley shingle and getting into the soffit there.

I just wonder if the water is hitting my diverter pc I made and a little is getting into the soffit. Its not pouring out just dripping off the J a little.

I cant believe the roof itself is leaking as there is ice and water as well as 90 pound in the valley and again I see NO damage to shingles, no nail pops, no bae spots etc

Whacha think ??[/quote]

What is the problem?

Do you have a leak?

uh, the problem is water dripping out of soffit and dripping off J. No water leaks inside, at least not by looking at my celeings, its just I dont think it sould be doing this ???

Are the shingle tops cut paralell with the rafters?

Otherwise, water catches them and runns across the roof until it gets where it wants to run down the roof.

humm not sure but it has been the same way for 11 years. I will post a ic asap
Thanks

here are the pics[list=][/list]

lets try this. Photo number 1 shows the area under the main roof where the water drips off the J where it meets the freeze board.

Photo 2 shows the valley. Photo 3 shows the gap under the valley I want to seal by my diverter.

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … /roof3.jpg

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … /roof2.jpg

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … /roof1.jpg

Wihout being there it looks like its getting behind the flashing. It looks like it was not step flashed. It just has that apron style. Was it a wind driven rain you had?

I found I believe where it is. It is where the fashia on the upper roof touches the lower roof under the valley.

When the wind blows the rain under the valley it follows the lip on the fashia and then runs into the soffit and runs toward the house until it hits the freeze board metal and drips off.

I think I should caulk with geocel up uner the valley and it will stop it ??

If it is leaking there then it is not flashed correctly. Caulk is only a temporary fix and will not last. Atleast thats what i get from these photos i seen.

That’s pretty scary looking. Looks like some sort of addition was added unto the original structure? I can’t believe it was purposely done like that.

I’m with G on this…the siding tie in on the upper roof looks more like it’s hiding something.

The simplest fix? Rip out the siding, Ice & Water Shield the siding and unto the roof, re-step flash it (even if it looks good before you rip it off), then you’ll know it’s not coming from there.

Better pictures would be a complete view from say 10-20’ away so that we could see details.

Are there any vent pipes in the vicinity on the upper roof? Bay vents in the area?

When their built like that and they leak, the only way to deal with it (and the cheapest) is to tear into the problem.

With regards to to caulking, step away from the roof and put that gun down! lol

nope no vent pipes near it. Again I can see whats happening, I put the white pc of metal from the top roof fachia tucked behind the drip edge to the lower roof to divert water from running back under the upper roof overhang to the house and running off where there is no gutter.

There was a step flashing under there before and its still there but when I put my pc in I think I should have slide it up under the valley further because now when water is coming off the lower roof in a rain storm it kinda runs a little under the valley overhang and gets behind my pc of metal and is directed into lip of the fachia and into the soffit then drips out.

I dont think I should tear off the siding as the problem is not from the roof but rather the gap under the soffit.

Wont that GeoCel last a few years if I just run a small bead along the top edge of the pc I put in so water is then forced to run along my pc ??

Again its not a leak pe se but rather just a few drips coming off the J

now that I think of it there is NO siding anywhere near the upper or lower roof

I will post another pic from further away