Help and ideas for ice build up in valley

Ok I have brought this up before but im looking for ideas on a situation;

I have an addition that has a gabled roof tied into a hip roof Southern exposure. Where the valleys end i get an ice build up there.

Before I had my new roof done 10 yrs ago one time water came in right under the valley overhang. The new roof has ice and water on both roofs and up the valley 6 ft over lap each side.

I also had a roof de-ice cable on this area running into the gutters which worked very well if ice built up and you turn it on for a day it would melt big channels and thaw the gutter all the way up the valleys.

Now there is about 8" of snow on the roofs and its about 26 degs here. I have a small amt of ice probably about 1/2" under the snow at the edge.

The attic is insulated R40 with baffles and full vent ridge on the house and addition. If you look at the roof with a heavy frost it is covered NO bare spots.

Soffit is about 12-14 " wide and full vented so I know air flow is NOT a problem nor is heat loss. Could it be because its facinf the South where the sun is ??

My fear is I dont want it coming in again even though it never did with the new roof. Would I be better off putting up the metal ice belt edge in this area so if we go on vacation in the winter I dont have to worry ??

What ideas do you guys have ??

Thanks

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … ofline.jpg

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … /roof2.jpg

No ideas ?? How do you apply an ice belt the ones that look like an embossed X across them ??

Can they go on over exsisting shingles

is it causing a leak? if no…live with it. i have 1 particular spot on my house over a mud room that has a wierd tie in roof pitch and insulation is tight to deck( no way to ventilate) gets huge ice…like 12" thick…but it doesnt hurt anything, so i just look the other way.

Here is something to try if your not afraid to go on the roof ,Get a womans panty hose and fill it with cal. clorid tie the end and lay them in the valley or where ever ther is a lot of ice build up ,it works you can also try it in gutters it works better then the wire you might have to do this twice in a season give it a shot
8)

If it aint broke dont “fix” it.

no leaks YET, how do you put on that metal ice belt with the embossed X on it ?? Is this a good plan ??

I just cant figure out how to get rid of it and it drives me nuts, short drive I know

put metal in valley,or live with it.

the valley stays clear its the eves edge on the addition that gets the build up. It has ice and water under the shingles but if it comes in I auusme it would be in the area where the two roofs tie together

( see pic ) thats why I was thinking the ice belt IF anyone here can tell me how it installs ?

seems like the stocking trick would work but the water it melted would freeze once it hit the gutter,no ??

I wounder too IF did the ice metal belt if the ice would catch on the gutter and just back up anyway.

Probably I should wait and if it leaks in tear off and box in the valley end and ice and water all the way up the roof and tar in the joint under the valley here the two roofs come together and let er go

if you had metal in valley,ice wouldnt build up it would slide,the way that valley is,ice will stay put,ice on metal,it just slides.

I understand that but my ice is after the valley ends and on the eve edge not in the valley,thanks

any clue on installing the ice blt

I am not sure what an ice belt is, so no.

probably im calling it by the wrong name what I mean is the metal that goes on the eves edge that looks about 2ft high and has a big embossed X on the surface. I have seen them on several roofs sorta like the plain flat flashing but looks a little better

Whats it called

[quote=“cvcman”]probably im calling it by the wrong name what I mean is the metal that goes on the eves edge that looks about 2ft high and has a big embossed X on the surface. I have seen them on several roofs sorta like the plain flat flashing but looks a little better

Whats it called[/quote]

It has been replaced by Ice & Water shield.

Ice and water goes under the shingle this stuff goes on top like flashing, I cant believe they dont make it anymore. Maybe you are just kidding but im looking for the panels that let the ice slide off

If you really want that ugly useless crap on your house…

You make it out of 24" - 36" coil stock.
A sheet metal shop will fabricate it for you also.

its on the back of the house only, I thought these were sold pre-made panels??

Otherwise just rely on the Ice and Water and let the ice build up ???

[quote=“cvcman”]its on the back of the house only, I thought these were sold pre-made panels??

Otherwise just rely on the Ice and Water and let the ice build up ???[/quote]

The metal on the eave you are speaking of was to prevent leaking due to ice dams, way back when…
It wasn’t to prevent ice build up.
Ice does stick to metal…:roll:

If you have an ice damming problem it is a ventilation/heat loss issue, sometimes exposure contributes to this.
Perhaps your insulation/ventilation is not working correctly.

How much ice are we talking about here?
Does the ice touch the ground?
Does the ice fill up the soffits?
How long is the average icicle in Feb?