Has anybody tried canvassing

I was thinking i was going to canvass out in this nabourhood with alot of roofs that need to be done. Im in the situation in which i can beat any competitor in my city by ten percent.
I was thinking if i hired some canvasers with my prices and my card to go out and canvass houses in nabourhood that need roofs.
Is this a good idea or is there some sort of law against this.

Canvassing works great. I don’t know what the laws are in Canada, as I’m in the U.S. I see problems here for you. The first is that your company is losing 10% revenue, at least. The second is that you haven’t accounted for paying the potential canvassers. The third is that pricing comes from the gut, and experience, often. It has to. If you are thinking you’re going to send guys out with set prices per square foot, you’re going out of business soon.

Well ive done my research. If they are small timers thay cant give a better price than me. Ive had my house quoted and know all the compitions prices. They are getting rich while the roofer are getting poor. Like me. I was getting poor until i took it apon my self to get the contracts myself.

I thought you were just a sub according to a different post you left. Second off how can you cut your costs by 10% if you are legit? Oh yea you are in the land of IKO shingles. Worse shingle money can buy.

You really think IKO shingle are bad. I never heard trhat before. May i ask why you think they are bad?
I use the cambridge. They are pretty good.

I hired a canvasser for the first time about 3 weeks ago. The guy came to my door attempting to sell the dreaded orek vacuum. I asked if he knew about roofs or would like to. The guy was a good sales guy just wrong product. I took him in under my wing - gave him a few books on roofing in general so he knew the lingo and sent him on the way.
I pay him an hourly wage and in return, he gets a certain percentage of of the profit on the job. The guys loves it and has gotten me into at least 25 doors for which I might not of seen the customer at all. I have sold over half of those 25 and am in process (waiting on homeowner for color selections) on 5 others. Not bad for just trying it out.
Canvassing works if you have a good canvasser but more importantly - a good slaes guy who can close. You can get in the door all day - but if you leave empty handed without a signature - who cares - it is not worth your time !!

[quote=“timothy_71”]I hired a canvasser for the first time about 3 weeks ago. The guy came to my door attempting to sell the dreaded orek vacuum. I asked if he knew about roofs or would like to. The guy was a good sales guy just wrong product. I took him in under my wing - gave him a few books on roofing in general so he knew the lingo and sent him on the way.
I pay him an hourly wage and in return, he gets a certain percentage of of the profit on the job. The guys loves it and has gotten me into at least 25 doors for which I might not of seen the customer at all. I have sold over half of those 25 and am in process (waiting on homeowner for color selections) on 5 others. Not bad for just trying it out.
Canvassing works if you have a good canvasser but more importantly - a good slaes guy who can close. You can get in the door all day - but if you leave empty handed without a signature - who cares - it is not worth your time !![/quote]

I was mor thinking mailbox canvassing. Not door to door salesmen. That would cost alot in the long run. I could get moer mail boxes filled then actual person to person cantacts.

i do that on my own when driving around or trying to kill time. Not as great of success rate - do it more to keep the name out and about.

it is illegal to open someones mailbox…trust me, the post master called me before :roll: i canvas all neighborhoods that my jobs are going on in. i will go 2 blocks or so in all directions, knock, introduce myself, tell them we are the company roofing down the street, and if there is anything we can do for them here is my card. i try to be casual low pressure. it works a little better than door hangers for me.

I thought you said you didn’t want to do anything but the ‘new construction’ that you’d been doing 'cause that way you don’t have to deal with all the “bad prior roofing jobs” that make your roofs end up leaking. ???

I have some quickie flyers that I’ve printed up & when I’m drifing down the road (like most of y’all) I spend 1/3 of the time looking @ the road, 1/3 trying to stop my little girl from kicking my seat from her car seat & 1/3 looking @ roofs… if I see a bad one or one with shingles missing, I’ll pull over really fast & slip one in the door.

You can also hire a professional door hanging company; they supposedly give you guaranteed delivery vs. paying a couple of neighborhood kids to drop some on doorknobs & all they do is deliver 'til they get around the corner from you & toss 'em in a trash can.

& Like we said - if you’re selling on the basis of cheapest price then you’re positioning yourself as the cheap roof. & I do mean that in the sense of cheap vs. lower price.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]I thought you said you didn’t want to do anything but the ‘new construction’ that you’d been doing 'cause that way you don’t have to deal with all the “bad prior roofing jobs” that make your roofs end up leaking. ???

I have some quickie flyers that I’ve printed up & when I’m drifing down the road (like most of y’all) I spend 1/3 of the time looking @ the road, 1/3 trying to stop my little girl from kicking my seat from her car seat & 1/3 looking @ roofs… if I see a bad one or one with shingles missing, I’ll pull over really fast & slip one in the door.

You can also hire a professional door hanging company; they supposedly give you guaranteed delivery vs. paying a couple of neighborhood kids to drop some on doorknobs & all they do is deliver 'til they get around the corner from you & toss 'em in a trash can.

& Like we said - if you’re selling on the basis of cheapest price then you’re positioning yourself as the cheap roof. & I do mean that in the sense of cheap vs. lower price.[/quote]

No, no, no. Ive had alot of people come up to me when i was on a roof asking if i could do there roof under the table. I ask them why under the table. They say taxes. And im like sure, but i do have the cheapest prices in town. Id do you re roof taxe free. But still tha taxes are being paid so ther like sure. That works alot better.
On my advertisment i was thinking about showing them what kinds of jobs ive done for the big time builders. Ive done show homes for numerouse companys in my city.
I tell them ive done roofs for the big timers and and that there roof could be the same quality as a showhome.
I have the highest paid roofer because i pay them for the best quality they can do. If i paid my roofers shit, they work shit.
When i pay them top dollar they give me top dollar quality.
So when i do thes roofs they get the lowest price and the highest quality my money can buy.
This way i still can get on roofs with my crew a bust out some for my self.
This way im making full profit any house id do myself and making a little bit on my crews.
The only thing i expext from my crews is that they dont bother me until friday and only if there roof is completyly done. If they extra materials they get it there selves. They just charge it to my name and at the end of the week i go over what the have charged and make sure they aint buying extra equipment that they dont need.
If they want a advance check I charge a 5 percent fee. That way they bust ass till friday.

I did not know mail box canvassing was illegal. Im gonna have to send out legitamate mail.

One thing that bothers me buster is simple and easy but i know they dont go together.

These do not ever go hand in hand. Also doing roofs under the table will only get you in trouble when you cash i check from a customer. ANd if you are doing cash only then shame on you. No professional will ever accept cash, to hard to make it work with the paperwork and to easy to make it go away so the tax mand in the insurance man comes around and audits you then you get in trouble for tax purposes. Just do it leagally and for go sake lowest price and highest quality can never ever be in the sames sentence ever. If you have the lowest price something must be left out. You not doing them for free so be honest with yourself and you books. It is not professional. One more thing. If you are doing all this under the table stuff why on earth are you doing the almost free new con work. SOmething does not make any sense here buster. Either your not telling the full truth about things or your making things up. Something does not make sense here.

This whole thread is full of B.S.

I do not know a single resi roofing company owner that is getting rich.

The whole business plan seems doomed to failure here. What is the 5 year goal? The ten year goal? The 30 year goal?

What are your numbers on advertising? Overhead for the year? month? week, day, manhour? What is your projected GP, and the resulting net? What us your workers comp rate? Every dollar you spend in advertising should bring in 20 in revenue. I know those dollars can be tight, so spend them wisely.

How much is budgeted for the unforseen recurring expenses, like maintenance? Shrinkage? Replacement?

How much do you have figured for future liabilities? What is your TRUE overhead?

I am a small (four man) company, and we have to bring in 50K above and beyond direct job costs per year before I can take a penny in profit. I usually accomplish this by October or November.

Then one whole month is pure profit…oh yeah, it isnt, since winter is on its way and we will not be working for the next few months before the cycle starts again.

If youre setting out to be Robin Hood, then you had better make sure you know everything that is involved.

First of all Iko are the worst shingle but i hear they are popular in canada.Second of all what Aaron b said about residential roofing i dont not agree with i have a five man crew no commerical work and no i am noting getting rich but i do make great liveing

I’ve made my mind up, and I’m sorry for the attack. But the fact is roofing buster, you’re a hack that doesn’t know chit about roofing or business. You should just pack it in and call it a career, at least until you can start being honest with yourself. You sound like I sounded when I started in business at 22… the revenues sound huge, but the profit margins are really slim and execution is a must. Your opinions on roofing applications are even worse.

Thats what I like about you Severance - a straight shooter not afraid to hide anything !! Kinda like me - not afraid to state your point.

I really am sorry for the attack roofing buster, but you’re not fooling anybody. We all do roofing everyday. We know whats out there, what is possible, what is impossible, etc. I’d suggest you gain the benefit of the combined knowledge of the site rather than bragging and boasting from an idealistic fantasy world you’ve created.

Maybe you’re not making anything up, but you think things are going better than they actually are. But I can tell you from just a few threads that things are not going as well as you think they are.

My bottom line is this; I’m pretty damn intelligent, I believe, and I try to study the business and proper applications of systems all the time. Still, I’m not the most intelligent roofer or the most shrewd business man here. Everytime I come here, I grow. If you want to grow, get your head out of your azz.

Like I said - Severance is surley a straight shooter !!

I leel the same exact way sev.

Buster you will not get anywhere with mailbox canvassing maybe 1 out of 300 hundred. Waste of paper. You need to talk to the home owner and find out there needs rather than just dropping off a piece of paper. I have a whole plan on how to do this but to be honest i dont think it would help you. You dont listen to any advise, you think you know everything and you have a warped sense of reality. These are just my thoughts and take it for what it is worth. New con pays nothing never has never will unless you are doing 80 roofs a month then you will make the quanity money not the quality money. Maybe people would be more apt to help you and point you in the right direction if you would listen and read what is going on around you. Thats my 2 cents. Maybe you are doing what you say but if you are as good and and stacked full of money like you stated back when you first came on this site you would be working for top dollar and not for a company that does not pay much. Nor would you be a sub contractor. These are just my thoughts take it for what its worth as advise.