Hail-Wind Damage & Working With Insurance Adjusters 2008

Hello Contractors-

Hail and wind damage has been substantial so far this year (June 9th, 2008), in Texas.

See ALL weather related events TDI bulletins- http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/bulletins/index.html

Some insurance adjusters are missing a lot of damage, and others are not. More often than not, my clients receive thousands and thousands of dollars more for the ACTUAL damage their property received because of:

1. Careful and accurate accounting of ALL hail and wind damage to a property’s various exterior and interior components.

2. Helping each individual client to understand sound and solid reconstruction protocols, verses “lipstick and rouge” type repairs.

3. Honestly justifying premium reconstruction pricing, verses others (adjusters and contractors) low-end pricing.

As a G.C., roofing contractors understand that on new residential and/or commercial construction work, they are my “wholesale” (cost) product to offer as a “retail” cost product to my clients.

With that said, and after 16 years of insurance work in post-catastrophe business markets, I met an adjuster this past week that works for Farm Bureau, and who seems to have a new understanding on what all “Unit Costs” account for in Simsol generated loss claim estimates.

He is working in Mineral Wells, Texas, and his name is…well, lets call him Mr.??.

Mr.?? claims that;

1. ‘Roofing contractor unit costs contain both the roofing contractor’s and general contractor’s overhead and profit cost factors in them’.

2. ‘We don’t have a price range for [30] year shingles, there is only a going single rate price per square’.

3. ‘I don’t care if there is a dedicated primary-general contractor overhead and profit line item’.

That in itself is not remarkable, being I meet those types of adjusters on occasion.

The remarkable and kinda’ funny justification is that ‘that is the way it is, and the way it is going to stay’, per Mr.??.

As I tried to reason with him regarding his poor sense of construction estimating judgment, he became further entrenched in his bizarre position.

This issue will not take much to resolve from their corporate office, but it does make it clear that Farm Bureau should be cautious about who they support in representation of them.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/bulletins/1998/b-0045-8.html

They should also be aware that not everyone who is served “double-speak soup” by less than truthful adjusters, will not realize the offensive odor of such a nasty dish, and warn others that such poisonous offerings exist.

Too, John Postava, an original owner of Simsol, was contacted by e-mail to see if he would support such estimating methodology nonsense by the maladjusted “adjuster”.

No reply yet.

So…met any good or bad adjusters lately in your state / city?

Have any tried to convince your clients that an “appearance allowance” on their hail - wind damaged roofing and/or siding systems is a proper measurement of the repair/replacement loss claim value?

-CH

The last 10 out of 11 roofs have been approved.

Had one insurance company who was horrible last year and now the inpedandant adjuster who is representing them this year is awesome.

Still teaching a lot of adjusters a thing or two about roofing!

I’ve met with two this week,and have gotten them to buy,what they should have bought the first time… Im new though,and still learning,hope to learn quick,there is alot to learn…
Mark C.

Just talked to one home owner tonight who I helped get approved and after being promised the job was told he ran into the previous roofer who is going to do it Friday. I told him I was planning to do it Wednesday. I sort of chuckled what I told him that I hope he does a better job than what he did 9 years ago!

The strange thing is that I was recommended by one of the most respected realtors in the area.

What I can guarantee is that the other roofer would be able to do it for less than insurance was paying.

We had some high winds a couple of months ago, it was just short of a tornado that lasted about 15 minutes. It took my neighbors aluminum awning in back and some shingles off the front of the house in several places. They replaced the awning but only want to replace the front of the house with shingles which is about 9 squares, the whole roof is 27 squares. The roof is 10 years old so it’s not going to match but they claim you can’t see it from the road. The home owner is still trying to get a roof out of state farm.

The home owner asked me , if state farm will only replace half my roof do you think they will accept half a payment? :smiley:

I like that last part!

claim hawk
I’d like to visit with you about my biz in arkansas, specifically working claims, would you be available for phone consultation ?
thanks
tim
903-262-6169