Gweedo

Dont take this the wrong way buddy, but I usually disagree with you. Im sure what you do works in Florida for most systems but it doesnt work here. What I have to ask you is probably universal and i’ve already asked but the general population didnt answer because I guess it sounded like an ad for my competitor. When I was in florida, I noticed that metal roofing is more popular than here in Mass. Can’t sell standing seam here much though to the residential customer, the answer is always “it looks so industrial.” so, I want to offer a metal product that is comparable but not so ugly and I’ve looked into a few manufacturers of metal shingles. Have you worked with these? The manufacturers I’m researching are Decra and Tamko Metal Works. Have you worked with these? How do you stage an interlocking metal pitched roof like this or don’t you know? My competitors are putting these on 10/12 to 12/12 pitches easily right over two layers of asphalt easily and legally. I need help. This is the direction I want to go. Has anyone else worked with these that doesnt feel threatened and will answer me?

Just the quality and track record that Tamko has makes me dis interested in their products.

your opinion is valued and noted. I’m also mostly an asphalt shingler. I’m asking about their metal products. Whole different animal. I’m sure theyre not making the steel. It may be bent by them, but that has nothing to do with my question.

S&G

I can see a lot of trouble coming with the new metal ( steel and alum ) standing seam roofs. Most of the guy’s installing them are shingler’s, not sheet metal men, therefore they don’t know the detailing required for a metal roof. Although if you’re a good roofer to begin with it’s not hard to learn.

I do like the comeback of the metal shingle.
Permanent Roofing ( CA ) makes a nice aluminum shingle, and I think others are Zappone/Berridge/Interlock etc.

As for staging, I have only installed the standing seam. Used two hook ladders, ladder jacks and planks. But I’m sure you could use good adjustable roof brackets and planks.

BTW I was just pointing out the un-neccessary roof vents in the unheated, wide open, gazebo in that other thread. :smiley:

hey s&g,
got my name in the bright lites tonight.
and dont worry my good freinds dissagree with me alot here in florida also.
gettin to your question,
you have alot more steep roofs were you at, and i think the metal shingles will work better on 6/12 and up.
but down here on theese 4/12s and under the water just piles up to deep, for certain roofs to work.

also ive seen the granual coated steel shingles rust away in under ten years, ofcourse im in a heavy salt air, rite on gulf.
so the metals i use have to be either galvalume, stainless, copper, etc.

not to mention if you got a lot of cuttin to do ( like a bunch of hips and valleys) your in for alot of work. i got to watch my freind bout fold his company on those metal shingles. lot of labor. lots. hes foamin his ass of now. seams to be doin better. foams got about another ten years to go for me.

the standin seam does look comercial ill agree.
but were im at the standin seam and 5vcrimp have proven themselves to go 20 + years, so they both sell good here.
the 5vcrimp is exploding here for me because its the only roof that has stayed on in all theese hurricanes. they just didnt blow off.
standin seam, gone.
tile and subroofs, gone.
flat roofs, gone.
shingles roofs, gone.
as far as the i could see , every roof gone, except a 5vcrimp here and there.
so thats my advise to anyone lookin to sell metal roofs.
sell 5vcrimp and screw the hell out of it. bullet proof.

and thats that.

gweedo.

gweedo, like butler out of st. louis? galvalume system with the most effective flashings and nice tools to work with?

I’m clearly not the metal man you are dennis, but the start is that I know that. You’re a great metal roofer and you’re someone to learn from. Seeing your pride and craftsmanship makes me know who I want and have the capabilities to be. You’ll never hear arguments from me. I have the utmost respect for your work

[quote=“dennis”]S&G

I can see a lot of trouble coming with the new metal ( steel and alum ) standing seam roofs. Most of the guy’s installing them are shingler’s, not sheet metal men, therefore they don’t know the detailing required for a metal roof. Although if you’re a good roofer to begin with it’s not hard to learn.

I do like the comeback of the metal shingle.
Permanent Roofing ( CA ) makes a nice aluminum shingle, and I think others are Zappone/Berridge/Interlock etc.

As for staging, I have only installed the standing seam. Used two hook ladders, ladder jacks and planks. But I’m sure you could use good adjustable roof brackets and planks.

BTW I was just pointing out the un-neccessary roof vents in the unheated, wide open, gazebo in that other thread. :D[/quote]

hey s&g
dont know what you mean bout , “like butler out of st. louis?”.
galvalume is not a type of panel , its a coating treatment simular to galvanize. you can get any style of panel in galvalume. as far as tools go,
i use red and green snips , a couple of punches, a hammer, and a screwgun, thats it.
a couple a good punches with a fat head so you can twist it out helps me alot.
i use the punches to get the panel, evedrip,flashing,etc, set instead of tryin to hold the panel and get a self tappin screw in.

alot of installers use the coated self tapping screws that come with the metal package. i dont.
i use #10 stainless pointed screws with indvidual 3/4’ stainless, rubber bounded washers.
yes puttin thousands of them together will make your fingers a little sore.
but your rubber washer wont spin out and the screws wont rust.

good luck and yes get into metal.
gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]hey s&g
dont know what you mean bout , “like butler out of st. louis?”.
galvalume is not a type of panel , its a coating treatment simular to galvanize. you can get any style of panel in galvalume. as far as tools go,
i use red and green snips , a couple of punches, a hammer, and a screwgun, thats it.
a couple a good punches with a fat head so you can twist it out helps me alot.
i use the punches to get the panel, evedrip,flashing,etc, set instead of tryin to hold the panel and get a self tappin screw in.

alot of installers use the coated self tapping screws that come with the metal package. i dont.
i use #10 stainless pointed screws with indvidual 3/4’ stainless, rubber bounded washers.
yes puttin thousands of them together will make your fingers a little sore.
but your rubber washer wont spin out and the screws wont rust.

good luck and yes get into metal.
gweedo.[/quote]

Gweedo, Butler is a manufacturer of a standing seam galvalume system. I was very impressed when I installed their panels. I’m very good at metal, I don’t need to know the tools. I don’t know how to stage a metal roof because I always worked out of buckets on them on commercial properties… you can set the torque for driving the screws so that they dont spin out. I’ve done many standing seam systems and clips are the way to go as opposed to exposed screws, imo. Im asking about metal shingles now though. they catching on in FLA?

hey s&g
im sure butler makes panels out of whatever coil stock they by. they dont make the actuall galvalume coil roll of metal.
were i buy from, the coils are made in tiwan. crushed cars are shiped over there and they melt them down and make the coils of galvalume and them ship it back. its cheaper to do it over there than to do it here.
so i dought butler is makin the actuall galvalume coil

as far as settin the torqe, you have to do that no matter what screw system you use. its just that usin a seperate screw and washer makes it alot easier. the washer doesnt spin as its bein tightened. and again i cant use a screw that rust in a couple a years, thats why i use stainless. and again 5vcrimp is the only roof that stays on in a cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
i give no warranty on any other metal roof system, cause ive seen em all blow off. when you screw only one side of a panel (standin seam) its not very secure.
so if you dont have hurricanes or big storms in you neck of the woods, then put on any kind of metal roof system ya want .

as far as metal shingles go. dont puttem on a 4/12/p or less, and dont putem on the salt water
and use a damn good underlayment , ya might need it.
and one more thing that you mite not know.
no manufacture that i know of warrantys there metal if its installed anywere nere the ocean, rivers, etc. read your fine print of their warrantys.

i do the things i do for good reasons

eya.
gweedo