Gutter estimates

I hope this is an ok place to ask this question. I’m wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on what a “good” estimate might be for gutters on my house and could help me out.

I have a ranch with hip roofs, approximately 300’ of seamless gutter to be installed. There are 8 outside corners and 4 inside corners to be done, 5 downspouts to be installed.

The current gutter system is old, leaks and I’ve added a new pitched roof in place of a flat roof on the attached garage where gutters need to be tied in. I figured I’d just replace everything while I’m at it.

I’ve called numerous companies for estimates, my problem is - only on has shown up! I’m not one to chase after contractor for an estimate because it shows how they will be if hired. I have faith in the one who has shown up but since I don’t have anything to compare it to I don’t know if the price is right. I have talked to one person who had them do theirs and their workmanship seems good.

So they are quoting $1500 for the job with me taking down the old gutters. Does this sound about right for what I’ve described? Too high? Too low (AKA, red flag)?

I’d think the job would be a contractors dream, very easy access because the roof is low (ranch, hip roof so no high spots, everything on the same level) and lots of footage ($). I’m surprised in this market I’m having a hard time getting a contractor!

Thanks very much in advance!

that price sounds like a good price to me. I probably wouldn’t have done it for that price.

I charge around $5/ lineal ft. so it sounds about right.

Make sure they are seamless aluminum, and they use hidden hangers 2 foot on center.

For us its $10. to 12. per foot. downspouting is $4. and leaf relief is $7. facia apron add 2.00. another dollar per foot for the nice 3"round corrugated antique style downspouts. some gutter jobs are for 6" gutter, we also try to replace wood gutters with the Aztek gutter. Its all nice work.

Taking them down is almost as hard as putting them back, maybe you can just do it yourself? I installed Plastmo plastic gutters 25 years ago and just re-roofed my house and they are still fine, I see no reason they won’t last another 25 years. They are very easy to install, just screw brackets onto the fascia and snap the gutters in…DaveB

thats less than $5 per LF. (including downspouts) so its a great price.

[quote=“daveb”]

Taking them down is almost as hard as putting them back, maybe you can just do it yourself? I installed Plastmo plastic gutters 25 years ago and just re-roofed my house and they are still fine, I see no reason they won’t last another 25 years. They are very easy to install, just screw brackets onto the fascia and snap the gutters in…DaveB[/quote]

Dave, its defintely something I thought of doing myself, I’m an avid DIY’er. The thing is, after I priced out the pieces for just the garage I found it was going to cost me about $300 to do just that, and aftwards I was still going to be unhappy with how the rest of the house is done (leaks, old hangers that keep loosening up, ugly, etc.) At the end of the day it’d cost me (at home depot) $3.50/ft for my 300 ft. Thats when I decided to see just how much it’d cost to have someone do it. I was worried it may be too cheap actually - but their reference - who I wound up knowing checked out, and they had been recommended to them by a contractor. At the end of the day, the extra $450 is a lot of money, but its for seamless gutters and someone else freezing to the core putting them up. An added bonus is no fighting with the wife while we spend a whole weekend working on it.

I really appreciate everyone’s comments, I think I’ll be going with it, so a certain contractor in my area owes you his thanks too!

$1500 is pretty cheap for 300 ft of guttering.

If the quote is for the material and labor then it’s dirt cheap.

RooferJ what’s an AzTec gutter something specific for fir gutter replacements? I’d like to get into the stainless terne haven’t tried it yet we have a lot of box gutters in pittsburgh I want that new 600 watt soldering iron I’m not a fan of propane anymore