Got my first quote today on Architect Shingles from Home D

I got my first quote today on my house, from HD he said it would take estimate 33 squares and cost around 9k with the HD install and warranty. The shingle HD was gonna use was the GAF Timberline 30 style was that a fair quote for this particular shingle and HD install.The house is roughly 1800 sq. feet and slightly sloped. We got 2 more local guys coming tomorrow.Thanks for everyones input… The question I have is the Tamko AR 30 a comparable shingle to the GAF Timberline as well? Thanks guys for all your help.

Primey

The home depot guy either can’t estimate or is trying to rip you off. GAF Timberline 30 and Royal Sov are two differant shingle lines. If you home is only 1800 sf with a roof that has a slight pitch 33 squares is way over measured.

It was actually GAF Timberline 30 I had misread the quote they had it broke down Ultra, Timberlake and Royal Soverign, he actually quoted us on the Timberline 30 and said approx. 33 squares and around 9k. Thanks for your input…

Primey

Do not go with Home Deopot. They are not a roofing company but a scam. they will subcontract the work to a roofer who isnt good enough to get work on there own. If you search online you will see many unresolved complaints.

RooferJim

Yeah the reason this guy can’t get his own jobs is becuase he can’t measure a roof. lol

whats the diff between the gaf timerlines and ultra’s? are the ultra’s better?why do people on here think gaf timerline’s are better than elks?

Brandon, it’s really personal preference when it comes to GAF vs ELK. There both made very well. Choose the one you like best and use it. The GAF ultra shingle is a life time shingle.

What’s slight;y sloped? 4/12? isn’t the mulitplier for a 4/12 about 1.12?(I don’t have my pitch card w/ me-- so this isn’t exact. + it depends if it’s a hip or gable)
Is there a lot of overhang?
Even so, if there is and you have a 2,000 sq. ft base x 1.12= 2,240 sq. ft— and that would inlcude waste on a simple roof.

Does that sound about right Ridge Walker?

Sounds bout right to me.

[quote=“twill59”]What’s slight;y sloped? 4/12? isn’t the mulitplier for a 4/12 about 1.12?(I don’t have my pitch card w/ me-- so this isn’t exact. + it depends if it’s a hip or gable)
Is there a lot of overhang?
Even so, if there is and you have a 2,000 sq. ft base x 1.12= 2,240 sq. ft— and that would inlcude waste on a simple roof.

Does that sound about right Ridge Walker?[/quote]

I have 2 hips he said and they would use a better quality of shingle on them, but I have 4 dogs houses (what I call them) and he estimated they would use approx. 33 squares on the project. I have no idea about the slope, but the house is approx. 1800 sq. feet including garage. Thanks for your help I got another guy coming tomorrow local will tell you what he estimates me on Arch. Shingles…

Primey

Best thing primey-- get another opinion.
Altho let me say, the # of squares should reflect an estimate of the price, not determine it.
My point for asking him is really a matter of trust and did they measure correctly?

I’ve had to bids both ways because of my mistakes.

In other words if he did screw up is he coming clean?

where are you located,i don`t see it at a steep slope(8 on 12) as being more than 27 sq.,dormers are usually reflected in the sq. footage as well(a touch more for cut)prices are different in different areas due to differences in general liability,and workmmens compensation cost differences,not to mention dumping fee differences-how many layers of roof are coming off,how much ice&water shield,ridge vent,chimney flashings etc.

“I’ve had to bids…”

SHould’ve been “I’ve had to eat bids…”

I am in NGA (Georgia) 90 miles north of Atlanta. I have just have one layer of shingles on and don’t have a chimney. I do have 4 dog houses with some valleys and the 2 Hips. I got some other guys coming today with quotes and will tell you the differences. Thanks for your input…

Primey

I use a 1.19 multiplier for hip roofs. So 33 does sound really off. According to the information received I would say it is more like 23 squares but then again I would have to see it. But home depot services are horrible. I am a reputable contractor and could give you several references and home depot wouldn’t have me. Their contractor have to have 3 million dollars in liability insurance coverage and they bid it really high and then sub it out to a non reputable companies for a price that they can make a ton of money on. I mean I understand sometimes you have to sub work out but why sign a contract with someone who isn’t going to do a single job all year. This is a sore spot for me. I just have heard tons of horror stories about home depot. You are better off with a local licensed bonded and insured company. Good Luck. If you have any other questions directly here is Ski Construction’s
email… skiconstr@yahoo.com

Read This.

consumeraffairs.com/homeowne … ofing.html

or this

consumerist.com/consumer/clips/h … 217858.php

or this

nbc6.net/nbc6investigates/10 … etail.html

there are many more online as well.

A while back I had HD come over for an estimate and for 15 Squares, three layers, one dormer, 2 skylights, one chimney, 6/12 slope, one story, 700 sgft house they wanted to charge me about $13K. The lower end shingles would’ve been $9K. I thought the prices were too high so we passed.

I’ve filled out my father and brothers addresses in the home depot stores for roof estimates but neither have ever said anything about getting an estimate or a phone call for that matter. All three are also roofers.

Just did my roof, should have taken the magnets off the work truck and called the home depot first!!! Could have at least compared them to insurance pay.

WOW! That Home Depot is some seriously crazee stuff!
Not like a Mom & Pop operation that could be out of business tomorrow is so true.
They are more like the Goobermint, who will be here forever, and sticking it in your A-hole for eternity :twisted:

The especially pathetic, straightforward LYING part is when they state that they don’t use subs. Uh-Huh. And none of their salesman has probably ever met roofer anyway.
They must’ve gone to the same roofing school at different times. :mrgreen:

im not gonna say anything,when theyre right ,theyre right,sometimes they get a good co. to do work for them ,but when they screw them over,thats usually the end of it