Got a dead lead from Service magic

Umm, let me see, a $200.00 flat fee for my choice of approx. 150 - 400 leads a month. I accept approx. 20-40 leads out of all those sent to me. What do you charge for one lead?? Sounds like a good bargain to me. Let me see, my yellow pages ad was 1000.00 a month for one category. I received approx. 120-200 calls per month. Yes, Renovations Expert works great for my company.

The spin I’m referring to is the lie under which your company operates. You claim to be a referral and when asked, you state your an advertising firm. I talked to one of the reps and thats the claim they made!! You guys avoid refunding for false or erroneous leads. If you were a referral service then you would honor refunds for those reasons.

Just because your company spends an enormous amount of money on advertising and floods the search engines doesn’t mean you guys are doing it the right way. I don’t see the ratio of pleased contractors out numbering the unhappy ones with your service on this site.

As far as your claim about my company avoiding refunds for false or erroneous leads…

That is completely untrue and if for some reason that was your experience, I would be happy to look into that for you. My company is happy to refund referrals if they fall under the guidelines well explained

1. Another competitor is testing the system
  2. All contact information is incorrect
  3. Was for a job in a zip code not listed by you (you are in control of that at all times)
  4. Was submitted for a task not offered by you (again in your control)
  5. Or a duplicate lead.

There you have it in writing! They are reasonable and very clear. If you have a reason for another I would be happy to suggest that (within reason). Honestly I am blown away we even offer that!

How much does the Yellow Pages credit you back on that $1,000/mo ad for homeowners that call in a area you will not work or for task you do not offer? Are they able to close in your coverage area if times are rough or you wish to increase productivity by reducing windsheild time?

How easy is it to change your yellow page ad if they make a mistake or you decide to take another direction with your company? Are your customers able to write ratings and reviews for the next customer to see?

Heck if you are like me I do not even keep a yellow book in my house anymore because of the internet. Please, again do not take me wrong! I am not saying the yellow pages are not effective, they are. But you are overpaying for reputation not so much services provided to you.

Again we do not claim that every lead we send you is going to be guaranteed! Think of how much we would charge if we sent you a 7k job every time. Then again I know contractors that are able to close nearly every one. I am not offering the “Easyâ€

I used them as a consumer (not as contractor) and yes, I was very surprise by the contractors that called me.

One day, I sat down and used their service and not more than 5 minutes after I filled out he form, I got a call from a contractor.

At that moment I thought great. what a nice service - fast and prompt! I then got 2 more calls in a short time and they all sounded desperate.

Long story short, all the contractors Service UnMagic sent were HIGH BIDDERS. For example, I wanted to remove my pop-corn ceiling and I was getting quotes around 1.5k. Service Magic folks wanted like 3x more.

lol i cant believe the service magic guys are getting the same HIGH BIDDERS threaphy from joel :mrgreen:

They are ALL OVER my good man.

the bottom line is you are going to get bad leads and high bidders whether you have service magic or not. I havent been a member of service magic very long but their customer service has been great so far and their website is very flexible which I think is a good quality. I can turn my leads off at anytime. The all around best thing is my local paper it covers like 3 counties…LOL. But I am going to give service magic a fair spin. If it works out great for me GREAT if not i’ll find the perfect routine one of these days and what ever works ill stick to it. I mean thats how new and improved roofing tools and products become famous. I am sure when the first pnuematic nailer came out everyone shot it down but as time led on someone said wow this is really saving me some money and passed his exp on and so on. So if service magic can help my company im sure gonna give them a shot if not ill move on and try something else.

Sounded desperate or eager to secure the business? There is a difference…

Most of our homeowners see quality and professionalism as valuable if not more than value when it comes to major projects around their home.

Our contractors are licensed and carry GL insurance so their operating costs are of course going to be higher than someone working out of their truck. Which is another reason why so many contractors (40,000+) use us because they know there competition if there is any, is limited to legally operating companies that have similar operating costs.

If you received three quotes all similar in price I would have a hard time believing those estimates were all that far off… Were you not a little concerned as to why the other bid was so low?

Service Magic does not control the job or how much someone charges… We also gave you three choices of Quality Pre-Screened contractors. 3 out of 4 homeowners that use our service enjoy that. How do I know? 3 out of 4 of the homeowners that submit requests actually purchase from one of the contractors we send.

I apologize if their bids were higher than you were hoping to spend on this large project but I am positive, had you received the work from one of our contractors the work would have been to your satisfaction. If not we guarantee the work up to $500!

So you know… these contractors only spent $15 on your lead. Do you really think they double their prices because of $15?

I do hope you try us again sometime and I hope you find better results. At least this service did not cost you the homeowner anything and I hope these contractors were helpful when it came to the estimate and answering any questions…

First of all, I admire that fact that you are taking the time to respond and to better your business by means of asking questions such as this. This shows good management skills and that you care for the business.

Now, as to your question. You are right, they may have been eager to help which is great. To me, they sounded desperate but this is a minor point.

Please note how many others here have had similar bad experience by ServiceMagic and are they all lying?

With my particular example, I can understand a 10%, 20% and maybe a 30% higher bid, but 3x more is way out of line in my opinion. I have used Dove Ceilings which is a local company in Orange County California and they are a licensed contractor with insurance and have performed well in the past.

I do understand that your business does not set prices. However, I am sharing my experience with your services which I have heard other family members share as well. This may or may not be of value to you.

First let me thank you for your comments and also your feedback which is very valuable! I have also sent this to our customer service for them to review as well. Not sure what can be done about the desperation factor…

I am almost wondering if these were salesman/estimators and not the owner… Perhaps they were trying to make their comission… Maybe they have been too successful with us and they feel they can charge a higher rate??? Not really sure but please understand how it is hard for me to understand how 3 out of the 3 contractors we sent were desperate and all 3 had similar quotes… Also understand I work with contractors and homeowners daily and most of my passion comes from their success.

I also agree with you, when you see numerous issues with a service it is a good indication something is wrong. If you actually go back and look at those complaints you will notice they are all back from 2002!!! Still during our start up phase and using a different lead system that changed due to feedback from customers and contractors. I also do not want the false expectations to go unoticed, I am hoping those reading get a very good understanding of how and why we work!!!

I have seen positive responses on here as well (see the About Service Magic post) and they are still current members… I also am fully aware 1 bad experience usually is shared with 10 people and a positive experience is lucky to be referred to 1. That is part of the reason I am here.

I can not tell you how surprised I was to see the comments on here. and is another reason I have stuck around… I do not want false expectations and I am hoping those reading get a very good understanding of how and why we work!!!

Again I am very happy that you were able to find a contractor that was able to complete the job to your satisfaction and budget! I am also happy you saw how quick you did receive responses! I hope you try us again the next time you need something done around your home…

I also apologize if these contractors did not provide you with a fair estimate! I promise you, with customer ratings and reviews from homeowners such as yourself… these contractors do not stay in our system long.

By the way, may I ask how you found Service Magic to begin with?

Thanks again for your comments and feedback!

[quote=“MMcDowell”]

By the way, may I ask how you found Service Magic to begin with?

Thanks again for your comments and feedback![/quote]

It was a while ago and I think I found it when I did a search for ceiling removals in my area using google.

Thank you for your reply by the way. You are a true asset to your company.

Good luck.

lol

Thanks Joe!

We are a Service Magic member. Two days ago we got a service request via email. I responded by email and my sales manager called them. They were actually still on the service magic web site when we called. An appointment was set the following day.

We sold the job and the very next day the client called us back and said, “we were so impressed that your responded so fast” and " your salesman was very nice and informative" … “do you have any referral forms? We have 20 other friends lined up for you to speak to.”

As I type this my sales manager is running one of those referals. He’ll come back with the contract becuase that how he rolls! = )

Ridgewalker,
Great! To be honest this happens more often than you think. A lot of business owners are afraid to try Service Magic because they get stuck on “paying” for a lead. Since it is a different way of looking at things it is hard for many of them to realize that you are always paying for leads.

Business cards, yard signs, the name on your truck, letter head, or what about that expensive yellow page ad?  Now, I never said any of these were ineffective, actually they are, if growing your business is your goal.  My problem with print and yellow page advertising is that you are over paying for reputation and not for service or services offered.  Don't get me started on mass mailings which garners an average 1%-2% close ratio.  Lastly can you turn off those other forms of advertising when you go out of town or become too busy due to a recent storm?  You can with me.  

Service Magic offers you leads in the exact zip codes you wish to focus on for the specific tasks you find most profitable such as install or repair.  We even have it broken down into the different materials (asphalt, flat, tile, metal, shake, etc.)  We do this for every task that deals with the home from a leaky faucet to new construction.     

We also utilize and promote your company further with the same benefits you receive from other forms of securing business.  Imagine if every customer that called you from the yellow pages was able to see a list of your references and pictures of your quality work?  Wouldn't it be nice to close the business before you even meet the customer...   

This is really only the beginning of all the benefits and features you receive by joining Service Magic.  There is no annual fee, no monthly fee, and we believe in our company so much that we do not require a contract or commitment from you...     

We just want reputable contractors with high standards in our service as our customers (the homeowner and even my mother) demand the same.  They are thrilled about the screening process we put each company through and like you pointed out, are very impressed by how quickly someone contacts them after submitting a service request (many times before they are even off my website looking at your profile/website.)   

Another interesting fact I heard from one of my roofers was that his average job size before Service Magic was around $4,600, after he joined he was securing around $5,200 a job.

My name is Matthew McDowell and I hope to answer any questions anyone may have about how my company works and why it works.  I also like to think I offer a higher level of service to my clients on top of what my company provides.    I am not a salesman but I am a consultant and will show you how to use our system effectively.  Please give me a call or shoot me an email with any questions you may have.      

303-963-8584 (Direct line)
877-800-3177 ext 8584
303-596-9308 (Cell)
mmcdowell@servicemagic.com
www.servicemagic.com

We built our service magic lead today. I sat and talked with the home owner alot. I asked her how many calls she got from service magic contractors. She replied, 4. I asked her why she choose us over them.

Here’s her relpy in so many words.

1st guy didn’t even want to get on the roof, and instead just asked for her insurance paperwork then then told her it would cost $600 more then her insurance company paid, then he left.

2nd guy was to pushy, like he needed the job to much for lack of work.

3rd guy had an appointment set for after our appointment, but showed up 45 minutes early while we were still talking to her. They sat in the truck and staired at the home owner and my salesperson the whole time, and reved the truck up a few times. This made the home owner uncomfortable, so my salesman said we’ll just stick our sign in the yard so they won’t come back! haha. noobs.

But I do have a bone to pick with service magic, when I signed on I was told explicitly that I would only be competing against 2 other contractors but service magic sold this lead to 4.

No need for you to reply to that, I’ll call my SM rep monday and take it up with him instead.

All you roofers who read this post, here are some important keys to making the sale.

Be informative, Be prompt, Be clean cut and professional looking, and explain the benefits of why the roof you install is better then the next nailer who tries to get the job.

PS: We are not members of the BBB, we do not have phone book ads, and we do not do any other type of advertising. I spend that money on my clients roofs instead. = ) Try it.

[quote=“RidgeWalker”]We built our service magic lead today. I sat and talked with the home owner alot. I asked her how many calls she got from service magic contractors. She replied, 4. I asked her why she choose us over them.

Here’s her relpy in so many words.

1st guy didn’t even want to get on the roof, and instead just asked for her insurance paperwork then then told her it would cost $600 more then her insurance company paid, then he left.

2nd guy was to pushy, like he needed the job to much for lack of work.

3rd guy had an appointment set for after our appointment, but showed up 45 minutes early while we were still talking to her. They sat in the truck and staired at the home owner and my salesperson the whole time, and reved the truck up a few times. This made the home owner uncomfortable, so my salesman said we’ll just stick our sign in the yard so they won’t come back! haha. noobs.

But I do have a bone to pick with service magic, when I signed on I was told explicitly that I would only be competing against 2 other contractors but service magic sold this lead to 4.

No need for you to reply to that, I’ll call my SM rep monday and take it up with him instead.

All you roofers who read this post, here are some important keys to making the sale.

Be informative, Be prompt, Be clean cut and professional looking, and explain the benefits of why the roof you install is better then the next nailer who tries to get the job.

PS: We are not members of the BBB, we do not have phone book ads, and we do not do any other type of advertising. I spend that money on my clients roofs instead. = ) Try it.[/quote]

Wow, thanks for that feedback! The service professionals in my service that succeed, demonstrate exactly all the things you mentioned. They are usually the first to respond. They secure a time for the estimate. They give a fair and competitive quote. They take care of the homeowner and the homeowner rewards them with the job and great ratings and reviews to help you close even more of the leads I send you!

There is a reason they found my website, there is a reason the spend a good half hour filling out one of these requests. It’s because they are serious. 3 out of 4 homeowners that submit a service requests actually complete the job with one of our contractors.

In reply to the number of contractors we submit these leads too… If the lead fee is less than $20 we do not send it out to more than a total of three contractors. If the lead is higher than $20 we will send that lead up to a total of four contractors. Open the yellow pages and see how many roofers a homeowner can find that way. Now realize half of them are either not licensed or even insured as the yellow pages does nothing to prevent bad contractors from advertising.

I apologize if there was some misunderstanding on that part but hopefully you understand why. As you see the homeowner was treated like a sale and not a customer. This competition actually helped you so it is not all bad! Thanks again for all of your feedback and comments on my service, I am glad you have found success with us because that means you are taking care of my ultimate customer… the homeowner. I wish you the best!

[quote]There is a reason they found my website, there is a reason the spend a good half hour filling out one of these requests. It’s because they are serious. 3 out of 4 homeowners that submit a service requests actually complete the job with one of our contractors.
[/quote]

Exactly! Service Magic Pro’s need to keep in mind that home owner’s registration form is pretty lengthy and askes specific questions in order to qualify them. Which is exactly the same process I go through if they called me on the phone and spoke with them in person.

By the time the home owner finely finishes registering they’re thinking SM is gonna send a high quality contractor thier way.

I also want you to know something about my sales manager. He’s the only salesman I ever met who has sold an entire city and zip code. Ever hear of Boys Town in Nebraska? You might be thinking yeah right, sure. Esp some of you other roofers reading this. = )

Let me explain though. He was working in Omaha after a large hail storm hit Omaha hard. Many leads were coming in the office. Well this lead came in from a man who lived in an area of town where the homes were like 12-14 squares. No one wanted to run those leads, so this mans lead sat in the office for 3 days. The boss asked about it, so John says. I’ll run it. Well it turned out that man was the maintance director over all of Boys Town. Next day during breakfast the man called John, and told him he wanted John to do his home and take care of Boys Town as well.

Boys Town was offered 250K by there insurance company, but when John was finished dealing with them becuase of all the missed damage by the adjuster it ended up being a 3M dollar project.

Moral of the story? I don’t think I need to explain it.

Nearly all lead generation companies are unethical. Even if you can find a good one, getting a good website and optimizing yourself to get your own leads will save you a lot of cash in the long run.

The best way to grow your roofing company is definitely through local seo efforts. Having a good website with informative content and a call to action will generate more qualified prospects than any other means. Find a good local web guy with experience in the contracting industry and hire them. Local SEO is an evergreen source for leads.

John
www.mrncontracting.com

This guy knows what he’s talking about. That is the way to go.

Kyle
South Shore Roofing