GAF Slateline

I am a homeowner who selected the GAF Slateline shingles to be installed on a new home construction.
The home is a two story home with the upper roof shedding water onto the lower roof both with shingle drainage and valley drainage onto the lower roof.

In two sections where the valley drainage sheds water onto the lower roof, the water drains to the lower roof at a 90 degree angle so that the water hits the lower shingle from the side rather than from the top of the shingle.

In these two areas, we have had roof leakage both under the shingles and at the side wall flashing.

Numerours repairs, ice and water shields, nail cement, new flashing, new roof deck (rot) have resulted in what appears to be a dry roof for now.

GAF says there is no manufacturer’s defect in their shingle.

The contractor and the roofing subcontractor both say the shingle is defective due to the center “key” allowing water to enter when the upper water hits the lower shingle at a 90 degree angle.

An independent third party, who is also a Master Certified GAF installer, says installing gutters to keep the water from hitting the lower shingle with such force should solve the problem. (He inspected the property twice)

The builder’s warranty is still in effect and has both a workmanship and material’s defect paragraph.

Any opinions on whether I should try the gutters first or simply replace the entire shingle system?

If gutters are chosen, who should be responsible for payment of the gutters? Homeowner or roofer/contractor to solve a leakage problem?

Thank you,

Steven M.Wilso

Hi,

Gutters will solve your problem.

The builder is responsible.

Also the section where they did all these quick fixes to. That section should be redone. All that chaulking and roof cement they put on the shingles will cause problems now or later on.

Remember, the builder and roofer that installed the roof do not know what they are talking about. So do not believe what they say. They are worried about what it is going to cost them. Not your roof or house.

Haha, the builder is responsible for the cost of new gutters? Good luck on that! Keep me informed.

The builder is responsible for no leaks and you said you currently have a dry roof. As far as what all he did to fix this problem? I don’t have pics so further speculation would be foolish. Tar usually does not cause problems later on like Lefty said unless it is used in excess and causes the shingles to blister. It does make it a pain in the ass to do later repairs sometimes. If the GAF inspector came and looked at your roof after the repairs were in place and didn’t say anything about them, then without further information I’d have to assume they were done correctly. I would highly advise getting a gutter system as it carries water away from your foundation as well as helping your current problem. The builder is NOT responsible for buying it for you unless it was in your contract.

its not the shingle its the installer.

there was a time when almost all shingles had keys and roofers installed them. now shingles have no keys and everyone thinks they can install them.

is is some kind of flashing problem at the base of the valley. your roof should not leak even if you have no gutters however, controlling the flow of water off your roof is important. unless you are good about having your gutters cleaned don’t add more.

if your roof was put on by the builder it was done by the lowest bidder and corners were cut. they only are worried about the period of their warranty. chances are your roof will not last the length the shingles are rated for. they will keep returning with trucks of goop until the time is up. that will satisfy his contract.

as for what should you do its hard to say. if his roofer is so bad you are repairing a new roof whats the point of having him do it again. how reliable are the repairs anyway. if gutters will stop you leak what is the roof for.

option 1

get a good lawyer and have a roofer go over the roof take pics go to court.

option 2
figure on replacing the roof before its time.

there is no good choice.

I agree.

As to who pays for the gutters, I suggest you split the difference. Besides, this area / size required in gutters can’t cost a LOT. Provided you don’t have a lot of trees casting leaves on the roof to clog 'em up, get the largest gutter available in your area (be sure to use hidden hangers).

I say split the difference because on the one hand, if this is a common floor plan (don’t state if this was a custom build to your blueprints or a “semi-custom” i.e. stock floor plan with limited modifications) the builder should have known this was going to be a problem area.

If, on the other hand, an architect drew up these plans for you then they should suck up a bit of liability too (1/3 for all of you).

I don’t blame GAF in this regard, however.