Flintlastic or shingles?

I’m adding on to our home and the new roof pitch is said to be a bit too flat for shingles. Story is ice can back up under them and applying shingles on this pitch voids the manufacturer’s warranty. (Isn’t this warranty only for the wear/tear of the stones on the shingles? I figure they would blame any leakage on the installers. So why would I care about voiding the warranty?)

The roofers have put down flintlastic, and while the color matches the rest of the roof I think it looks cheesy. Reminds me of my grandfather’s 50 year old flat garage roof. I’m afraid it will de-value my house.

My father has a low slope on his garage and all that was done was to put “ice paper” under the shingles and he hasn’t had a problem. Am I really better off with Flintlastic than shingles? Does anyone know which is more expensive? I’m struggling to believe Flintlastic costs more, though that’s what the roofer is telling me.

Thanks.

Flintlastic costs more. If the pitch needs a flat roof it gets one. If the window of your car breaks, you can put some plastic and tape over it. It will hold the rain out for a while but wouldn’t last as long as the glass you would use to do it right.

It sounds like your roofer did the right thing for the low slope section.

Shingles, even with the Ice and Water Shield under them completely, will degrade much more quickly on a low slope roof.

Ed

Flintlastic is a 3 ply system if installed for 15 year specs. It is double if not triple the price of shingles. On a low slope i would value it alot more than shingles. I have seen to many people with a low slope insist on shingles and on the contract it states there is not warranty on the low slope period. It has not lowered the price of the house in any way. The government and greedy bankers did that for you.

I agree.
The flintlastic will perform better.

If you don’t want the “cheesy look”, replace it with a copper, soldered flat seam, roof. Which will perform much better but cost a little more.

a little? :wink:

I will say alot more.

It will last a lot longer though. :wink:

I will agree with that statement

i agree with everything but cost.
i get rolls of flintlastic for 52 bucks,
and a sq of shingles singles for 55.
so i disagree there.

but a warranty can get voided cause the wind blows,
and shingles, or any roof thats installed in small peaces, should not be put on low slopes.
didnt say they couldnt, just shouldnt.

gweedo.

Gweedo,

You forgot that a low slope roof would need a full coverage of Ice and Water Shield to keep it water-tight, so that is additional expense right there, plus stil not being the better choice for that application.

Ed

[quote=“gweedo”]i agree with everything but cost.
i get rolls of flintlastic for 52 bucks,
and a sq of shingles singles for 55.
so i disagree there.

but a warranty can get voided cause the wind blows,
and shingles, or any roof thats installed in small peaces, should not be put on low slopes.
didnt say they couldnt, just shouldnt.

gweedo.[/quote]

its a multi-ply system so you are only looking at the cost of the cap sheet…what about the base?

dont forget the mid sheet, the cap nails and so on.

shingles have underlayment, ice and water + whatever
else you want to put under them.

same price for me.

gweedo.

Hello Add on
Any chance you could post photos of your roof. We are considering using Flintlastic also. We are considering using it for our entire low slope roof. We have asked to see a Flintlastic roof in person and so far our roofer has not been able to come up with one that we can see. I would be grateful to see photos of yours. What color did you use?
many thanks
mspelling

were are you at mspelling?
one of us may be nere you and have an address
of a couple torchdown roofs you can look at.

gweedo.

I’ll recommend IB pvc membrane which will give you a lifetime warranty and no headaches with future leaks. If you need looks, IB has Traditions Classic - a pvc membrane with arch. shingles pattern imprinted on them. Check it out here: http://www.coolflatroof.com/residential-flat-roofs.php or here: http://www.traditionsclassics.com/

IB will however be more expensive than either one of above-mentioned choices - “for quality you must pay” © Yoda :mrgreen:

Hello Guido and La Metal Roof.
Thanks for the replies. I am in the New York Metro area and my house is a mid century modern with a low pitch roof. The roof line is visible from the street. I have quotes for both IB and Flintlastic. IB is 3X the price of Flintlastic. I would like to see a home with a visible roof in each. I would drive 120 miles in any direction. IB was kind enough to email photos.

Thanks again for your posts.

Ib seems to be a good system but in my opinion its definitely not worth the $$ they ask.
Three times as much, please.
Your money they will take.

To Borna

he could get a flintastic quote from some uninsured “home remodeler” , and that can be the price for just a cap sheet… we don’t know details… as far as IB goes, it is definitely worth the money. Some of my customers realized that the hard way, after their brand new epdm roofs were leaking like a sieve …

to Mspelling,

are you looking for just white/color IB installation or Traditions? To find Traditions install in your area i recommend you contact IB directly, they’ll put you in touch with the Local IB rep. who can help you out. go to http://www.ibroof.com to get their contact info.

Good Luck