Flat roof over a carport

needs to be redone. The previous homeowner had a halfass contractor do the torchdown and it had peeled back about 10 ft in one corner due to high winds. Now that it is breakup season here in Alaska the decking is being damaged as we speak. Chances are I will have to re-roof the whole carport this spring and who knows what I will find after I pull up the existing mess.

My question is what is the cheapest way to redo the membrane and flashing system? I will be doing it myself so all I am worried about is the cost of materials. I have all the tools to do any installation whether it be EPDM, torchdown, rolled asphalt ect… Appearance will not be an issue I just don’t want the thing to leak. i would like to divert all water to one side and down a gutter on the backside of the carport. Any advice on materials, means & methods would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures are always a great help, without them we can only speculate.

From what you’ve stated you are probably going to have to rip the existing roof down to the bare beams. You have 2 choices to pitch the deck now. You may taper 2x4"s and mate them to the top of your existing beams. Lay them lengthwise with the existing beams, don’t crisscross them. Use wood glue and screws to attatch them. I don’t know which way your beams run or which way you want to create pitch so this may or may not work for you.
Second option is just to replace the decking and go over it with tapered ISO board, which will also give you some insulation value (if it matters). I would advise using the ISO if possible as it’s easier and faster than creating structural pitch.

As far as membrane is concerned? I don’t live in Alaska, nor do I have pictures of your roof. If you have high wind issues you may want to go with EPDM because you can wrap the edges down behind the gutters and use termination bar to keep it down. You may also be able to get away with one solid sheet on a car port also. I would see what other people in your area are using and have success with as far as membrane goes. Torch applied isn’t for DIYs in any case.

I am carpenter by trade so I am not so concerned with the design of sloping the roof. I have done quite a bit a bit of roofing in the past (just not flat roofing) so I don’t think torchdown will be beyond my abilities. I am more concerned with basically the material and methods of getting done ie: ice & water shield around the edges, felt paper over the substrate, and curbing around the edges. I will post a picture later on today so your can get a better idea of what I’m working with.

** i would like to divert all water to one side and down a gutter on the backside of the carport. Any advice on materials, means & methods would be greatly appreciated.**

Funny because it seemed you were asking…oh well.

Torch applied is not brain surgery to be sure but it takes practice. If you think you can do it, then go for it, lol.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]

Funny because it seemed you were asking…oh well.

Torch applied is not brain surgery to be sure but it takes practice. If you think you can do it, then go for it, lol.[/quote]

What I meant was I needed to know what the best curbing method was to divert the water to one scupper/gutter area implying that the slope would be adequate when I started. Sorry for the confusion.

I realize that torchdown and a lot of other roofing methods are best left to the professionals & I do not claim to be a professional roofer but in this case I have no option. You guys are expensive!

Where in the hell is my post i posted the answer to this question directly at 10:30 am this morning.My bad look under carport for my answer.