Flat Roof in Houston, TX

We are considering buying a home in Houston that has a flat roof.

This is the info I was given: flat fiberglass EPDM Elastomer installed in '88. Major resurface in '04; recoat in '08. Layers of fiberglass cloth over roof decking.

Does this sound like a roof at the end of it’s lifespan? The house is 2465 sq. ft. shaped like a modified U with one leg shorter than the other. Any ideas on replacement cost for a house this size?

Yes, coatings are usually added at the end of the life-cycle in an attempt to buy a little more time out of the roof. Needless to say, it is an expensive roof to replace, so if you buy the house make sure you knock of several thousand dollars from the price due to the roof. If you really want to do the due-diligence aspect correctly, hire a roofing consultant. A home inspector could also work, but they don’t generally specialize in roofing.

Thanks! Can you narrow down several thousand dollars? We spent $5K on our little cracker box of a house to get the original shake shingles and 3 layers of asphalt removed and all new decking put down. This new house is more than twice the size of our house plus the flat roof issue.

Also, can you recommend any roofing contractors to me? I’d like to get my own bid on complete replacement before we commit.

Sounds like a great roof if it’s all true.
Several pics would say a whole lot.

[quote=“goastros”]Thanks! Can you narrow down several thousand dollars? We spent $5K on our little cracker box of a house to get the original shake shingles and 3 layers of asphalt removed and all new decking put down. This new house is more than twice the size of our house plus the flat roof issue.

Also, can you recommend any roofing contractors to me? I’d like to get my own bid on complete replacement before we commit.[/quote]

It all depends on the job. How much perimeter, flashings, counterflashings, insulation, access, height, etc. If I were just to throw a number out there with no knowledge about the roof, which is the case, I’d guess between $12-15K here in Houston. That price could swing $5K either direction depending on so many factors.

As for a contractor, what side of town are you on?

Thanks.

We’re going to pass on it. The floorplan isn’t going to work for us and I have serious reservations about the roof. They perform maintenance on it every 3 months to blow the leaves off of it and check it and I’m not interested in climbing on my roof that much.

when cerb types people read.

gweedo.