Flat Roof In Chicago

i live near chicago and need a new flat roof including a tear-off of the old bur asap… what type of roof can be applied in the current weather conditions in chicago… lately 30 - 40 degrees…

You could go with a mechanically attached rubber roof.

Dominic,

What ever happened to the previous owner and the roofing company they were supposed to have come out and re-do the roof before you purchased it.

All roof systems can be installed, but ambient moisture content in the air provides some minor circumstances that need to be taken care of.

A PVC membrane is easy to install, mechanically fastened at this time of year would be the best, which is my preferred method anyways.

Seam welding is 100 % reliant upon the integrity of the roofing mechanic doing the hot air welding.

Hot mop Built Up Roofs are done, as long as there is no moisture coming down.

APP, Modified Bitumen can be applied, but the surface of the rolls may spider-web crack upon unrolling them if the temperatures are too cold.

SBS, Modified Bitumen depends on the adhesives and seam rolling and I would not like that in the current chilly climate.

Self adhered in this current climate is too prone to installer screw ups.

Guys work crappier in the cold weather than the mild seasons, just due to being uncomfortable and wearing too many clothes to stay warm, “Typically”, but not all workers are included in that broad brush statement.

Ed

ok here is the deal… we just finally bought the house yesterday… we were supposed to have the roof silver coated and receive a 7 yr warranty… we agreed to split the cost with the seller and they were responsible for removing the existing gravel… during our final walkthrough yesterday i noticed a few drops of water coming from a ceiling beam… we got lucky that the sellers had a few more items to remove from the home including a ladder… so i go up on the roof to have a look and there are two buckets of roofing repair tar… they tried to remove the the gravel themselves instead of hiring someone… well they removed all the gravel including pieces of the roof… looks like they were using scrapers to loosen imbeded gravel and completely damaged the roof(thank god it rained yesterday)…they tried to repair some damages using tar paper aka backing for shingles and the roof repair tar stuff…so at closing they agreed to give us 15k towards a complete roof replacement… so i would like to get a new roof asap… since we completely tearing it off i want it done right by highly skilled roofers… is it better to fix their damage and wait for warmer weather or can a quality roof be installed in thes temps…any reputable roofers near chicago… thanks

aaron b if your out there how soon can you give me an estimate… my email is dominic.dallio@yahoo.com

Is that so? How thankful?

You need the Lords help right now looking for a roofer.

Who would God reccomend?

I could take a look at it and give you some proper advice. My schedule is about 4 weeks out right now though, if you are interested. I could look at it by the end of next week though.

eddiesdad@sbcglobal.net

I was just in Orland Park 2 weeks ago for my brothers young twins birthday party, plus I grew up in that area, in Palos Heights.

Ed

If you go with a firestone .045 reinforced or an .060 mechanically attached system you will have a really good roof that can be installed right now, how big is the roof.

dom
how big is this roof as i have a cousin (30 yrs experience) who lives in plainfield/joliet area.

the roof is about 3600 square feet, it has two levels with about a 4 foot height difference… there are 3 skylights and 1 chimney on each level… we got an estimate for 31,000 for a durolast system… another company took a core sample and said there were several layers of roofing with perlite insulation between the levels… he also said there is some kind of insulation that is not made anymore because it over time it can eat away at the roofing material… i cant remember the name of it though… i think he said they would do a peel and stick with modified bitiman over the top of that… their estimte should arrive this week… i would love to have anyone in the area who can give an estimate for repairs and an estimate for a complete tear-off… please email me for my number "dominic.dallio@gmail.com"… i am going to post some pics of the roof as it is now…

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=260115194/PictureID=6202029086/a=143166960_143166960/t_=143166960

www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu … =143166960

www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu … _143166960

When the time comes to replace…which type of roof has the lowest replacement cost compared to its lifespan? I just read on the ib website that they have a lifetime warranty… any opinions on this.

Yeah, i was impressed with the words written here and wanted to buy it. I called the exact suppliers/ addresses that IB said carried the product in my city. They all said they never heard of it. (Sigh)

Looking at your pictures, it doesn’t matter what roofing system you choose, i believe you need 1/4 slope tapered insulation system installed under it.

IN this area, Florida, the government is the gestopo
and outlawed all homes that have flat roofs.

Outlawed them!!! That means millions of homes.

Anything that even looks like it might have a puddle in it is outlawed.

It doesn’t matter if you have a product and are well known, respectfully known, to install a product on a ponding area.

YOU are a nobody! homeowners can not decide what they want for their own roof!

It doesn’t matter what the manufactuer says about their product resisting ponding water either.
They are also nobodys.

The government decides what you will put on and it doesn’t matter how the home was built.
It doesnt matter if you own the home or are paying a mortgage. Yay! AMERICA !

NO ponding with no exceptions is their motto!
Welcome to America!

Where you, the homeowner have no say over your own property and you have lost all freedom.

To Roof Lover and Dominic

IB is great and it is the only flat roof we install. You cannot buy IB membrane from a local roofing supply - They only sell direct to certified installers - this is to prevent the “we-do-it-all super-roofers” from installing IB, and to keep up the image and reputation of the brand.

They can refer you to a local certified installer. I think Ed-the-roofer installs IB, but I’m not sure.

Good luck.

my roof is leaking… i have drilled a few holes in the drywall ceiling to free some of the water… all of the places i talk to say they cant come out until the snow melts… what if it doesnt melt… its like a lake up there… should i broom of the snow and water then lay a tarp? im afraid to walk on it when its saturated that ia may make it worse… any suggestions

Dominic,

I just read your note.

For the time being, buy a sump pump from the local Ace or HD or Lowes and also a course bristled push broom.

Find the several spots that seem to hold the most water and broom the water and snow to those sumped areas for the sump pump to remove as much as possible.

Yesterdays weather really screwed any feasible long term workable patching, but there are some things you can try for a short term minor correction.

Go to the ABC Supply in Tinley Park and buy about 5 containers of a product that they carry that is for stopping leaks under water. I forget the actual composition of the material, but they should have it on a shelf in the show room.

It is branded by Mule Hide at the ABC in West Chicago that I buy from on ocassion.

It is similar in appearance to kitty litter, but turns into a wet clay like composition and sort of works like stop leak in a radiator.

Other than than, the entire roof may have to be tarped until weather permits.

Ed

I can’t believe that no one wants this $31,000 job

Just from reading on here Ed seems pretty knowledgeable. Looking at the photos, do something about the ponding water or use TPO or PVC with hot air welded seams. These are the only roof systems that I know that a manufacturer will warrant, on a commercial job, when there is ponding water present. BUT, all the manufacturers that I know will NOT give a warranty on a residential property, some not even a material warranty.

some guy my mother knew from her neighborhood patched the roof yesterday with some winter roof cement stuff for $250… he didnt seem to professional… turns out he wasnt… the roof is leaking again already in one of the three spots he patched… i have a round about estimate from a reputable roofing company for 2500 to look over the entire roof and patch everything they find… waiting for exact estimate though… they said this would be for two guys patching for a full day… does this seem reasonable… also if this was one of your roofs would you just repair it for the 2500 then pay 30k+ for a new roof in spring or just replace it now…

you might be aable to sign contract for spring. with a third down contractor should try to help you though winter.